997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CURI0
Don't know if my suv is faster than Tim's, I actually use my SUV for utility.
A guy that will never admit to being a loser no matter what. This may actually be a good thing in real life, I like that.

Seriously this thread has already serve its purpose in answering Le Chef's question. The conclusion is that none of the 997 owners is willing to switch to an M3. The comments from non-997 owner serve no purpose in this thread and can be ignored.

Case closed.

Happy 997 motoring.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Incase you want the short version on video.

The list some of the performance specs in the video, and the two cars seem evenly matched.

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08...009-BMW-M3.htm
What do I need to look at others times for when I have my own results first hand? Oh, I know, BMW paid me to say that.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
A guy that will never admit to being a loser no matter what. This may actually be a good thing in real life, I like that.

Seriously this thread has already serve its purpose in answering Le Chef's question. The conclusion is that none of the 997 owners is willing to switch to an M3. The comments from non-997 owner serve no purpose in this thread and can be ignored.

Case closed.

Happy 997 motoring.
I think what has truly been shown is that the 997 owners are afraid of the M3 and need to have their ego's propped up by their fellow owners. Blind leading the blind.

I would not trade my M3 for a base 997, it does not just go one way.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
997 owners are afraid of the M3.
I haven't read anything this funny for a long time, you really is a character.

BTW I'm only afraid of my wife...who the hell will be afraid of an M3?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Krueger///M3 is infamous around these partsKrueger///M3 is infamous around these parts
Listen to the pros...

Tony Kannan

Originally Posted by TK6
What kind a question is that??

My DD is my all time favorite car M3...:respect:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202448

And he does in fact have a modded GT3, CGT, and a Scuderia.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I haven't read anything this funny for a long time, you really is a character.

BTW I'm only afraid of my wife...who the hell will be afraid of an M3?
I don't know your wife, but somehow I don't doubt your assessment.

Le Chef exemplifies the 997 owner I describe.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3
Listen to the pros...

Tony Kannan

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202448

And he does in fact have a modded GT3, CGT, and a Scuderia.
Obviously Tony Kanaan is wrong. What could a professional race car driver possibly know about driving pleasure?

Road and Track is wrong as well.

As is Car and Driver.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Barely burn past? Haha, ya, I saw first hand how a 997S was running 13.10 vs. me at the track. I wasn't barely burning past, I was pulling by like a freight train. It isn't even a question, the M3 puts out more power and has a better built, more advanced motor.

You kidding me? If you can't see how far ahead the M3's V8 is in comparison, I can't help you. Porsche is limited by the Flat-6 in the 911, they know, you know it, everyone knows it. Its days are numbered.
You keep drifting in your arguments. Let me help you get back on track: your e92 has a wet sump with 400cc more displacement, and 70hp more than a regular 997.2 (non-S). In the C&D test you keep praising, it matched it straight line to 60, 100, and beat it in the quarter.

I could care less about your track days. I could talk about mine too. It's irrelevant for this conversation. A supercharged 997 will destroy many m3's as would a modded turbo.

Sorry, I really can't see how much more advanced the m3's V8 is, since it has been described as an engine analogous to 2 fused inline 4 cylinder Mitsu engines.

And since the m3 engine is sooo much better built, can you explain why it won't be featured in the next m3? I think the new euro emission standards have pretty much killed your "advanced" engine. Yeah, keep talkin... it's been fun laughing at your expense

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RiceEater
You keep drifting in your arguments. Let me help you get back on track: your e92 has a wet sump with 400cc more displacement, and 70hp more than a regular 997.2 (non-S). In the C&D test you keep praising, it matched it straight line to 60, 100, and beat it in the quarter.

I could care less about your track days. I could talk about mine too. It's irrelevant for this conversation. A supercharged 997 will destroy many m3's as would a modded turbo.

Sorry, I really can't see how much more advanced the m3's V8 is, since it has been described as an engine analogous to 2 fused inline 4 cylinder Mitsu engines.

And since the m3 engine is sooo much better built, can you explain why it won't be featured in the next m3? I think the new euro emission standards have pretty much killed your "advanced" engine. Yeah, keep talkin... it's been fun laughing at your expense
In the Car and Driver test the M3 won around the track didn't it?

So my own numbers from going head to head with a modified 997S mean nothing? Oh, of course not, because the M3 comes out WAY ahead.

A supercharged 997 is what you are bringing up now? Have you seen the numbers on the supercharged M3? 600 wheel on pump gas, a supercharged 997 is not within 150 wheel. It WOULD take a modified 997 turbo, and 600 wheel is getting to the limit of the 997 turbos internals. Maybe you can start seeing how advanced the M3's motor is now?

Wow, what a logical argument. Explain why it won't be in the next generation M3. You don't see what is wrong with that statement? You need me to explain to you why a new M3 would not be using the previous models engine?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
In the Car and Driver test the M3 won around the track didn't it?

So my own numbers from going head to head with a modified 997S mean nothing? Oh, of course not, because the M3 comes out WAY ahead.

A supercharged 997 is what you are bringing up now? Have you seen the numbers on the supercharged M3? 600 wheel on pump gas, a supercharged 997 is not within 150 wheel. It WOULD take a modified 997 turbo, and 600 wheel is getting to the limit of the 997 turbos internals. Maybe you can start seeing how advanced the M3's motor is now?

Wow, what a logical argument. Explain why it won't be in the next generation M3. You don't see what is wrong with that statement? You need me to explain to you why a new M3 would not be using the previous models engine?
I'm having fun with this, so fine, I'll bite!

Yes, your prized m3 won the track test with ONE lap by 1.1 second. There's no way anyone could fathom that a 1% difference could be attributed to anything else, as we all know, that track tests are the most scientific of all tests (way better than double blind placebo controlled trials with statistically significant p values less than 0.05)... seriously, if you catch my drift, your argument holds zero weight.

Secondly, you were the one talking about "experiences" and with your modded 3 series. I'm trying to get back on track here. If I were you, I'd start my mods by upgrading the sh*tty brakes.

Lastly, every "3 series" engine used to be an evolution of the last (inline 6 anyone?). The *****, Moan, Whine engineers have already declared that they can't use anything from this last engine for the next (breaking tradition again). So much for your "engine of the future"

Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned
I'm having fun with this, so fine, I'll bite!

Yes, your prized m3 won the track test with ONE lap by 1.1 second. There's no way anyone could fathom that a 1% difference could be attributed to anything else, as we all know, that track tests are the most scientific of all tests (way better than double blind placebo controlled trials with statistically significant p values less than 0.05)... seriously, if you catch my drift, your argument holds zero weight.

Secondly, you were the one talking about "experiences" and with your modded 3 series. I'm trying to get back on track here. If I were you, I'd start my mods by upgrading the sh*tty brakes.

Lastly, every "3 series" engine used to be an evolution of the last (inline 6 anyone?). The *****, Moan, Whine engineers have already declared that they can't use anything from this last engine for the next (breaking tradition again). So much for your "engine of the future"
1.1 seconds on Laguna Seca is a pretty big difference. The cars were not driven by some amateur.

My modded 3 series? Well, still sounds better than a modified VW Bug.

Every 3 series engine used to be an evolution of the last? Nope, sorry, read up on your 3 series history. 4 cylinders dominated the early history. 4's were popular even with the E36 in many markets. The 3 series has run the gamut from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder now.

If I were you, I'd spend some time with the car before commenting on the brakes as you obviously have no experience with them. ****ty brakes? LOL, the M3 brakes in LESS distance, the brakes are superb.

They have declared they can't use anything from this engine for the next? First of all, the next car and its specs aren't even out, not that this point means anything. All we know is that the next car will most likely be turbo'd, beyond that, you don't know anything about it.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
1.1 seconds on Laguna Seca is a pretty big difference. The cars were not driven by some amateur.

My modded 3 series? Well, still sounds better than a modified VW Bug.

Every 3 series engine used to be an evolution of the last? Nope, sorry, read up on your 3 series history. 4 cylinders dominated the early history. 4's were popular even with the E36 in many markets. The 3 series has run the gamut from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder now.

If I were you, I'd spend some time with the car before commenting on the brakes as you obviously have no experience with them. ****ty brakes? LOL, the M3 brakes in LESS distance, the brakes are superb.

They have declared they can't use anything from this engine for the next? First of all, the next car and its specs aren't even out, not that this point means anything. All we know is that the next car will most likely be turbo'd, beyond that, you don't know anything about it.
I can accept that my car is an evolution of the vw bug. I mean, hell, the 911 has only won over 25,000 race victories and is praised as racing's most winning car model with several teams that purchase it to win several races.

But yeah, you're right Curio. When I'm ready to move up into a family sedan, I will save really really hard, and pray for that 3 series in the sky! BTW, I just added you as a friend. Maybe you can help me get a good deal on a 3series. I'm sure you have great suggestions for car colors and idrive modifications.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned
I can accept that my car is an evolution of the vw bug. I mean, hell, the 911 has only won over 25,000 race victories and is praised as racing's most winning car model with several teams that purchase it to win several races.

But yeah, you're right Curio. When I'm ready to move up into a family sedan, I will save really really hard, and pray for that 3 series in the sky! BTW, I just added you as a friend. Maybe you can help me get a good deal on a 3series. I'm sure you have great suggestions for car colors and idrive modifications.
Yes, it started racing much earlier than the M3. Don't act like the M3 does not have a storied racing history, as I recall it still is the winningest touring car in history.

I'm not telling you to change a car you like for something else. Keep the car that makes you happy, that is what this is all about. But 997 owners need to get rid of this ridiculous aura of superiority they think they have. The reality is, much of the competition has passed by the 911, even Porsche recognizes this and protects it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not telling you to change a car you like for something else. Keep the car that makes you happy, that is what this is all about. But 997 owners need to get rid of this ridiculous aura of superiority they think they have. The reality is, much of the competition has passed by the 911, even Porsche recognizes this and protects it.
Finally some sense here! I think we can finally agree to disagree. You like really fast, heavy sedans with bad brakes. I like purpose built sports cars with sublime steering, awesome brakes, and an engine in the back!

But all joking aside, all the 997 owners that I know don't have a "superiority" complex. Sorry that you experienced otherwise. I know that we have our preferences, but it doesn't mean we look down on other cars. I think the m3 is a great car. Period.

It just doesn't do anything for me, and apparently, it does nothing for the dozens of 997 owners who answered this thread.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Banned
Finally some sense here! I think we can finally agree to disagree. You like really fast, heavy sedans with bad brakes. I like purpose built sports cars with sublime steering, awesome brakes, and an engine in the back!

But all joking aside, all the 997 owners that I know don't have a "superiority" complex. Sorry that you experienced otherwise. I know that we have our preferences, but it doesn't mean we look down on other cars. I think the m3 is a great car. Period.

It just doesn't do anything for me, and apparently, it does nothing for the dozens of 997 owners who answered this thread.
My heavy sedan handles better, brakes better, and has better balance. Sounds to me that it is better at being a sports car.

Most 997 owners don't have a superiority complex, but the OP does.

The 997 just doesn't do anything for me, or the dozens of M3 owners in the thread on the BMW board. That doesn't mean I don't like it or that it is a bad car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?