997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Would you trade your toilet brush for an M3?

Let's see old the Grey Pouper get his head around this one...

Tony Kanaan drove an M3 faster round Laguna Seca than an old toilet brush.

My M3 is faster than a toilet brush.

My M3 has better brakes than a toilet brush.

A toilet brush is less reliable.

Toilet brush owners are wannabee's.

There's no back seat in a toilet brush. M3's beat the toilet brush out back.

Some M3 owners bristle more than a toilet brush when they're defeated.

Add more reasons why your M3 or toilet brush is better. Just remember no butts.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Not to make this into a another heated battle, but the 13.1 could be a partly due to reaction time, wheel slippage, lack of Launch control, missed shift, etc.

You ran a 12.2 (ok you say 12.1, but your sheet said 12.19 so I guess we are both right) and the .9 of a second can seem like a lot of distance at speed, but we have all seen some problems/mistakes in a race that will cost a second or more (most of us have watched an episode of Pinks).

The purpose of this thread was not to get into a debate as to why the Porsche 997 is better then the BMW M3 or vise versa, it was to ask how many people would trade there 997 for an M3. You have argued to many people the merits of the M3, and have asked the question have you ever driven an M3 to a few, I am wondering have you driven a 997, not to the corner store, but a good drive were it can be pushed and driven. I doubt that you have otherwise you would not be so negative towards the 997.

As for your comment about being afraid of the M3, I am afraid when I get in front of one, and the corner requires some heavy braking. Not sure if I will find an M3 hitting me from behind or not when the brakes fail. Please don't deny the that the brakes are weak, if you continue I will know for sure that you have not driven you car hard on a track for more then a few laps.
I'm not talking about one run, talking about the average of several runs. We had a private track rental, cars ran 12+ times. The modded 911 never made it into the 12's, guess you had to be there. Reaction time has no effect on ET, you can sit there all day. The sheet says 12.1, not 12.2, guess I'm right unless strips start rounding.

Regardless, it does not really matter. Hope people understand it is personal preference but reality is the M3 is the stronger performer and I took that into consideration in my purchasing decision vs. the 997S.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-03-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
12.19 sounds more like 12.2 then 12.1 to me, but that is around 1% difference. It is all the same. I guess 1.1 seconds on a 1.40 lap is more significant. Your right about one thing, I wasn't there.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I owned an e46 M3 cabrio and loved it. Test drove the new M3 DCT and the 997.2 4S and went with the Porsche..... M3 is a nice car indeed.... But I love my Targa 4S.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
NEVER. I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
Curio

You just can't stretch your wallet enough to afford the C2S? Me too so I just settled for the 2009 base c2.

He who has the more expensive vehicle wins! and he who has the biggest d*ck also wins!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gray911
..... and he who has the biggest d*ck also wins!
Gray-

Thanks for boiling it down...I think that displacement measurement is coming next!

Cheers-

SD

Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Le Chef - why are you so obsessed with dissing BMWs? Where is all this vitriol coming from?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
I'm not.

Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Le Chef - why are you so obsessed with dissing BMWs? Where is all this vitriol coming from?
If I had a family and kids and needed some kind of practical hauler I might consider a BMW. I'm just having fun with Old Grey Pouper who refuses to accept that the 911 is a pure sports car and the M3 a converted sedan.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
VMM
VMM is infamous around these parts
It's funny... there's a thread on m3forum right now were people are debating 2008 m3 versus 2007 911s. The great majority there are saying to go with the P-car! It's funny how many on both this and the other forums own or have owned both.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VMM
It's funny... there's a thread on m3forum right now were people are debating 2008 m3 versus 2007 911s. The great majority there are saying to go with the P-car! It's funny how many on both this and the other forums own or have owned both.
Please post the link so we can help our friend CURIO find his way home.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Please post the link so we can help our friend CURIO find his way home.
Makes sense, dissenting opinions need to be filtered. Remove everyone who thinks differently or has an opinion outside the group mentality. How progressive!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Le Chef
If I had a family and kids and needed some kind of practical hauler I might consider a BMW. I'm just having fun with Old Grey Pouper who refuses to accept that the 911 is a pure sports car and the M3 a converted sedan.
Your 911 is not a pure sports car. Porsche has convinced you it is.

Just because my M3 would spank your cab around a track even with 4 adults in it does not make it any less of a sports car, it makes it more of one. Porsche's "pure" 911 can't beat BMW's M3 in professional competition, but reality seems to be beyond your grasp. If you keep this up maybe you will actually start to believe it?

Last edited by CURI0; 02-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
any PORSCHE owners most likely to stick with another PORSCHE.

it's that great if you haven't driven one.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by CURI0
Makes sense, dissenting opinions need to be filtered. Remove everyone who thinks differently or has an opinion outside the group mentality. How progressive!
I am OK with people having a different opinion, perhaps if you would look at all the facts, you might realize that this one C&D test and you drag racing a few 997's is the whole basis of your thin arguement. I have yet to see you post anything that supports your claim that the M3 is faster then the M3 that you drive. I asked you if you have driven one, you haven't responded. I posted video's for you to sit and enjoy and look at the real numbers (which were identical for each car) and yet one lap the BMW is quicker, and you are saying the car is faster. The M3 has bad, sorry, really bad brakes and the gas milage is horrid, yet the M3 is faster. You are blinded by the shinny M logo on your steering wheel, the M3 is still trying to be as good as the 997, where as Porsche continues to refine 45 years of success to make the car better.

I have no doubt that your DCT equiped car is easy to drive, but it will not last a hard day at the track.

You will not convince anyone with your broken record arguemnet that lacks any and all credabilty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?