997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned
baziman is infamous around these parts
had a boxter and ugraded to a c4 cab; traded that beast in for a c63 amg beast; no looking back;way more fun imo;m3 never; of course the c4 is hella sexier

Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I am OK with people having a different opinion, perhaps if you would look at all the facts, you might realize that this one C&D test and you drag racing a few 997's is the whole basis of your thin arguement. I have yet to see you post anything that supports your claim that the M3 is faster then the M3 that you drive. I asked you if you have driven one, you haven't responded. I posted video's for you to sit and enjoy and look at the real numbers (which were identical for each car) and yet one lap the BMW is quicker, and you are saying the car is faster. The M3 has bad, sorry, really bad brakes and the gas milage is horrid, yet the M3 is faster. You are blinded by the shinny M logo on your steering wheel, the M3 is still trying to be as good as the 997, where as Porsche continues to refine 45 years of success to make the car better.

I have no doubt that your DCT equiped car is easy to drive, but it will not last a hard day at the track.

You will not convince anyone with your broken record arguemnet that lacks any and all credabilty.
Driven what? A 997? That is the main car I cross shopped, I have spent significant seat time in 997's. As I said, I find the car underwhelming. The GT3 is a different story, but, hey, you guys are too hardcore with your pure sports cars to get one, right?

The M3 has horrible gas mileage, so what? If I was counting my pennies for gas, I would be in the Porsche, right? There goes the monetary argument out the window again.

You are blinded by the Porsche logo, look at what you needed to do just to get your car track worthy. The car is so pure, Porsche doesn't even believe in an LSD

My car HAS lasted track days. The brakes are incredible, and to stop in less distance than a car with its weight all in the rear is commendable.

I'm not interested in convincing anyone, the information is there for people to come to their own conclusion. Fact is the M3 is faster around the track. Fact is the M3 whoops on the 911 with an actual racing block in competition. Fact is the M3 makes more power. Fact is it is not limited by an outdated design. The M3 takes Porsche's best and beats it.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
The under-specified brakes and the near 3800lb curb weight should tell you that the M3 can't really be considered a sports car. It's a great car - a fast, comfortable and sporty sedan - but for me it's tough to legitimately describe it as a sports car. It has around 600lbs of extra weight compared to 997 and while the engine makes up some of the difference (and it is indeed a great engine) the extra heft of the M3 is apparent. The 997 on the other hand always feels light, responsive and nimble.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by swajames
The under-specified brakes and the near 3800lb curb weight should tell you that the M3 can't really be considered a sports car. It's a great car - a fast, comfortable and sporty sedan - but for me it's tough to legitimately describe it as a sports car. It has around 600lbs of extra weight compared to 997 and while the engine makes up some of the difference (and it is indeed a great engine) the extra heft of the M3 is apparent. The 997 on the other hand always feels light, responsive and nimble.
It is a shame you don't know the actual curb weight, here is a DCT car:

Hate to burst your bubble, but your 997's are not exactly light.

The E92 M3 feels much lighter on its feet than an E46 M3 ever did, I think you need some seat time. The steering response is much sharper than the 997 IMO, so what if car and driver and road and track agree?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CURI0

The E92 M3 feels much lighter on its feet than an E46 M3 ever did, I think you need some seat time. The steering response is much sharper than the 997 IMO, so what if car and driver and road and track agree?
Most sources have the 2008 997 S at 3131 lbs, and most sources have the 2008 M3 Coupe at around 3700.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Still trolling CURIO?

I thought we ended last nite on a good note!?!?

Just so I can get back into it: the m3 has won nothing against the 911 in professional racing. Please state your proof. The story from 2001 is old, and yeah, the m3 still lost.

Not that I care about 'ring times so much, but the m3 can barely hold it's own against a 997.1S, and as I mentioned, the rest of the cars up the line (997.2S, GT3, TT, GT2) all hold better times.

You seem fixated on the fact that the 997.1 S did not offer LSD here in America. Porsche has listened, and now offers it on the 997.2 cars. Too bad BMW doesn't listen to its customers: increased weight, no more inline 6, continued use of cheap floating caliper brakes.

If you compare the evolution of both cars, it's sad. The m3 used to be about motorsport with the e30 and e36 and the e46 CSL. Now there will be no CSL, the weight of the new m3 is more than its non-m counterparts. What does the "m" stand for again? Marketing? I'll be looking forward to the new x5 "M".

Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Driven what? A 997? That is the main car I cross shopped, I have spent significant seat time in 997's. As I said, I find the car underwhelming. The GT3 is a different story, but, hey, you guys are too hardcore with your pure sports cars to get one, right?

The M3 has horrible gas mileage, so what? If I was counting my pennies for gas, I would be in the Porsche, right? There goes the monetary argument out the window again.

You are blinded by the Porsche logo, look at what you needed to do just to get your car track worthy. The car is so pure, Porsche doesn't even believe in an LSD

My car HAS lasted track days. The brakes are incredible, and to stop in less distance than a car with its weight all in the rear is commendable.

I'm not interested in convincing anyone, the information is there for people to come to their own conclusion. Fact is the M3 is faster around the track. Fact is the M3 whoops on the 911 with an actual racing block in competition. Fact is the M3 makes more power. Fact is it is not limited by an outdated design. The M3 takes Porsche's best and beats it.
BMW Diehard Dude-

I will give you points for tenacity!

No one on this board wanted an M3...if they did they would have BOUGHT one

It does have someting to do with the Porsche logo- now we are making some progress!

A 2007 Corvette Z06- for about $70K will mop up an M3 or a 997! Why are we all not driving that car???????????????

Could it be because it is a CHEVY???

Maybe the interior leaves a little bit to be desired....

But Hey- it is a full half a second faster 0-60 than either car! (3.6/4.1)

Maybe its that logo with the flags that we cannot get over...

Maybe because it is made in Detroit? The HORROR!

How about the GTR?? It competes with the 911 Turbo but costs like a base model 997...Ok so they are having a little transmission problem right now...The M3 Brakes are not very good and we seem to be missing a Limited Slip....so all cars have an issue or two...

Maybe because the GTR looks like a tricked out Altima!

Maybe because the GTR dashboard was outsourced to Nintendo!

The point is numbers are not everything and if they were- you are being very hypocritical- the Vett would be the car for you and for some reason you chose the M3- Nice car oh by tyhe way- it is just not a Porsche.

My neighbor has a M3- she is a nice older Asian lady and she keeps it very clean. When I told her how good of a car it was she seemed to have no idea, she liked the color and bought it over at Irvine BMW.

No one is going to accidently buy a 911- That's the point!

If you post again- tell us why no GTR or CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RiceEater
Still trolling CURIO?

I thought we ended last nite on a good note!?!?

Just so I can get back into it: the m3 has won nothing against the 911 in professional racing. Please state your proof. The story from 2001 is old, and yeah, the m3 still lost.

Not that I care about 'ring times so much, but the m3 can barely hold it's own against a 997.1S, and as I mentioned, the rest of the cars up the line (997.2S, GT3, TT, GT2) all hold better times.

You seem fixated on the fact that the 997.1 S did not offer LSD here in America. Porsche has listened, and now offers it on the 997.2 cars. Too bad BMW doesn't listen to its customers: increased weight, no more inline 6, continued use of cheap floating caliper brakes.

If you compare the evolution of both cars, it's sad. The m3 used to be about motorsport with the e30 and e36 and the e46 CSL. Now there will be no CSL, the weight of the new m3 is more than its non-m counterparts. What does the "m" stand for again? Marketing? I'll be looking forward to the new x5 "M".
Fixated on it? It is a fact, Porsche did not give it a LSD. They were FORCED to now, as without it the gap with the competition on a road course is even larger. For all the people who say Porsche produces a "pure" sports car and this other nonsense, the fact is they are primarily concerned with money. The more they can charge for less, they will. They do it better than anyone under the illusion of Porsche "prestige."

As for motorsport, where have you been? The M3 GTR didn't just beat porsche, they trounced Porsche to the point that Porsche knew they couldn't compete and lobbied to have the rules changed:

"The car won ten races and took ten pole positions with its powerful V8 engine.
Already in their very first race, the driver duo JJ Lehto/Jörg Müller came in third in
their BMW M3 GTR, which had been built in less than six months in
Sebring, Florida.

After this successful debut, a second BMW M3 GTR was released for Fredrik
Ekblom and Dirk Müller. At the end of the season, the BMW M3 GTRs were so
advanced that both cars celebrated four one-two victories in the last four races.

Consequently, the dominating car of the season secured the title: Jörg Müller
won the Drivers’ Championship, Schnitzer Motorsport won the Constructors’
Championship and BMW finished on position one in the Brand Championship in
the most important foreign market for the company, the United States."

We did end on a good note. When bogus info like a 3800 pound curb weight is posted, I'm going to set it straight. The M3 is also the lightest car in its segment, you seem to be confused.

I'm looking forward to the X5 M as well, along with the Panamera and next Cayenne.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-04-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
BMW Diehard Dude-

I will give you points for tenacity!

No one on this board wanted an M3...if they did they would have BOUGHT one

It does have someting to do with the Porsche logo- now we are making some progress!

A 2007 Corvette Z06- for about $70K will mop up an M3 or a 997! Why are we all not driving that car???????????????

Could it be because it is a CHEVY???

Maybe the interior leaves a little bit to be desired....

But Hey- it is a full half a second faster 0-60 than either car! (3.6/4.1)

Maybe its that logo with the flags that we cannot get over...

Maybe because it is made in Detroit? The HORROR!

How about the GTR?? It competes with the 911 Turbo but costs like a base model 997...Ok so they are having a little transmission problem right now...The M3 Brakes are not very good and we seem to be missing a Limited Slip....so all cars have an issue or two...

Maybe because the GTR looks like a tricked out Altima!

Maybe because the GTR dashboard was outsourced to Nintendo!

The point is numbers are not everything and if they were- you are being very hypocritical- the Vett would be the car for you and for some reason you chose the M3- Nice car oh by tyhe way- it is just not a Porsche.

My neighbor has a M3- she is a nice older Asian lady and she keeps it very clean. When I told her how good of a car it was she seemed to have no idea, she liked the color and bought it over at Irvine BMW.

No one is going to accidently buy a 911- That's the point!

If you post again- tell us why no GTR or CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you! If someone here wanted an M3 they would have one! What is so freaking shocking about if an M3 owner wanted a 997 they would have one as well? We are not talking about GT2's or GT3 RS's here.

The Z06 would mop the floor with either car. That is a fact, I can admit it, yet I don't want it. However, the M3 outperforming the 911 drives people here nuts and they refuse to see it.

I think a lot more guys buy the 911 for the brand name, not the same case with the M3. Either way, it happens on both ends.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-04-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by swajames
Most sources have the 2008 997 S at 3131 lbs, and most sources have the 2008 M3 Coupe at around 3700.
With PDK and no options, Porsche lists the weight at 3,219. You just saw a car weighed at 3550, the difference is not 700 pounds as you attempted to pass off.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-04-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
VMM
VMM is infamous around these parts
. I don't think I've sen curio posting there!

What's funny is that it's the e90/e92/e93 forum. Much love and respect to the P-car there. A few even own both of them and state they prefer to drive in the P-car. Some in the e46 forum have been accused of jealousy and unecessary bashing of the new generation.

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Please post the link so we can help our friend CURIO find his way home.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by VMM
. I don't think I've sen curio posting there!

What's funny is that it's the e90/e92/e93 forum. Much love and respect to the P-car there. A few even own both of them and state they prefer to drive in the P-car. Some in the e46 forum have been accused of jealousy and unecessary bashing of the new generation.
Um, if you actually read the thread the majority of the guys there know me and are laughing at how some of the P car guys are handling the discussion.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
I'm laughing at you

Um, if you actually read the thread the majority of the guys there know me and are laughing at how some of the P car guys are handling the discussion.
Except most of those guys would trade their M3 for a 997, so maybe your friends are laughing at you behind your back...

For a man who has no sports cars in his garage but a load of "boats" you lack any credibility whatsoever. No one here has the slightest bit of interest in your "arguments" for why the M3 is a better car.

We keep baiting you because this is the funniest thread here for a long time. I hope you continue to make a fool of yourself because you're very entertaining.

So go on Mr Grey Pouper, indulge us with another comical outpouring.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

So if your car only weights 3549 pounds, what did you take out?

According to your C&D bible, that has been the basis for your argument, it weights 3700lbs, and according to BMW USA the M3's unladen 3704 pounds.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

the unladen weight according to CDMV the unladen weight is is the weight equipped and ready for operation on the road including the body, fenders, oil in motor, radiator full of water, with five gallons of gasoline or equivalent weight of other motor fuel. So much like your 1/4 mile time there is no physical proof that it was actually your M3 on the scale/track.

CURIO, as I said before, Let It Go. You have lost a lot of respect by trolling on a 997 forum and making comments with little or no real support.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

Your significant seat time was probably around the block on a test drive, I was referring to time on the track.

As for the gas milage, again I was referring to the track, when going around the track it would be a great race with yourself to see what went first, the brakes or the tank of gas.

If the brakes are incredible then why did C&D specifically comment on how bad the brakes are?

And finally if you are not here to try and convincing anyone that the M3 is better, what are you wasting our time on? We all came to the conclusion that the 997 was the car to buy, we could have had an M3, and money to upgrade the brakes and yet the 997 is what we choose.

And to set the record straight on the LSD on my car, it was just installed. I was kicking M3 *** with the stock open diff that came with the car. My friend that has the M3 was not happy to hear that I put this in, as he realizes he won't be able to stay with my 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?