997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

LWFW options for 08 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
well the odd thing is...it wasn't even a turbo or GT3 motor that grenaded with a lwfw because of the imbalance that induced PMNA to put out the notice...just check with your dealer to see if you have a good enough relationship...prior to the notice many dealers were installing lwfw in all kinds of 911's and none of them have grenaded because of an imbalance...but the notice warned the dealers to no longer make the installs...if the dealer will install it I think he should have to warranty it...I would guess all the dealer installed lwfw's will have to be warrantied...
I know it's such a strange turn of events eh I mean everything prior to and including the 964 used a single mass flywheel... A bit of a crock but what can you do... The nice thing is in all the years we've been doing it not a single car has lost a motor due to the LWF. If anything it's less stress on the transmission.

The draw backs are obviously sound at idle and some transmission sizzle...

The ones we all use are either from Aasco, Fidanza etc... they are different designs but I prefer to use an Analog of the stock.

For anyone interested in the benefits/negatives and a video check here:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=151

Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
I know it's such a strange turn of events eh I mean everything prior to and including the 964 used a single mass flywheel... A bit of a crock but what can you do... The nice thing is in all the years we've been doing it not a single car has lost a motor due to the LWF. If anything it's less stress on the transmission.

The draw backs are obviously sound at idle and some transmission sizzle...

The ones we all use are either from Aasco, Fidanza etc... they are different designs but I prefer to use an Analog of the stock.

For anyone interested in the benefits/negatives and a video check here:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=151
Mine is the Aasco, I weighed the flywheels and the Aasco is 13lbs, and the OEM is 31.5lbs.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Mine is the Aasco, I weighed the flywheels and the Aasco is 13lbs, and the OEM is 31.5lbs.
That's the one I use and prefer too Good choice! Had it in the Cayman, the ol 996 and couldn't resist it on the TT finally so James installed one last week. The RS comes with it and the PDK um...

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Mine, too is Aasco.
The noise isn't bad at all, I actually like it, it's subtle.
CATTMAN

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
Mine, too is Aasco.
The noise isn't bad at all, I actually like it, it's subtle.
CATTMAN
I agree and actually my stock single mass flywheel is louder in the RS and that's stock... It's only at idle and in neutral when at a stop light (mostly from the outside).

Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
As everyone has said, this is a great performance upgrade. But just go into it knowing it voids the warranty. Porsche issued a letter several months ago about this and somebody posted it on the forums so you should be able to find it with a search. It was a letter to all dealerships stating something that they should not install LWFL and that if a car came in with any issues and it had a LWFW, to deny any warranty claim because unless it's a GT3RS, it wasn't designed to work with a LWFL. There was some technical jargon in the letter about imbalance, vibration, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Any mod will pretty much void a warranty for the parts that they are effecting. If you change your suspension, it is likely that a related part will not be covered if they can determine that the new suspension was the cause (or possible) of the problem. I joke with my independent shop that only the power windows, wipers and few small other parts are still covered under warranty. I think that most people recognize this, and move forward with the risks known and assumed.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Any mod will pretty much void a warranty for the parts that they are effecting. If you change your suspension, it is likely that a related part will not be covered if they can determine that the new suspension was the cause (or possible) of the problem. I joke with my independent shop that only the power windows, wipers and few small other parts are still covered under warranty. I think that most people recognize this, and move forward with the risks known and assumed.
im pretty sure my warranty went out the window with 150 miles on my car! ah haha!! I couldn't wait 50,000 miles to install exhaust intake chip etc, sorry

Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
racing 97 is infamous around these parts
I believe the PMNA bulletin pertaining to LWF was directed at the GT3 and not the 997 or 996. And I recall that they were spinning the front pulleys off as well and this initally led to the bulletin. When shifting to a component that has a low MOI one has to be adapt to the rapid response and it can be very easy to get behind in your homework so to speak (over reving). A dealership technician and an honest owner confirmed this and PMNA was tired of picking up the tab on the retrofit LWF on the earlier GT3's with valve train issue resulting from to much PRM.
No bulletin has been issued on a 997 and or 996 that I am aware of and my car runs really well with the mod.

regards

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Mine is Aasco 13lbs from FVD in Florida. It's by far my fav mod as I appreciate it and am reminded of it everytime I dip into the throttle. A very faint rattle can be heard at idle some times, although my exhaust drowns most of it out. Highly urge this mod to anyone. Feels like I shaved 300lbs off the car from how quickly the revs build. My dealer installed it during an engine swap and said it won't affect the warranty and this was 3 months ago roughly.

Last edited by AJ997S; 02-03-2009 at 09:34 AM.