997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How often are you track guys changing the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I do SRF once a year for the reasons mentioned. Just a time saver for me and my world.

JB

Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
Guys, you all need to read up on brake fluid a bit. It's not the number of events you put on fresh fluid, it's a time issue. Most PCA chapters will not tech approve you unless the fluid is 2months old or newer. Read up on Wet vs. Dry boiling points. Basically, brake fluid takes on moisture over time - not so much use (though hard use will accelerate the issue). So the boiling point of the fluid declines over time (wet BP). When fluid is new, it's all pretty good and up to the test. Never use Blue, always use ATE 200 / Gold and even better would be Motul Those are all suseptible to getting "wet" and losing boiling point.
I think that we already said the same thing that you were trying to get across, suggesting that none of use know what we are talking about, when a bunch already commented that changing the fluid more frequently is the way to go. I personally would not be comfortable running my brake fluid for a full year, without a change. I see racers changing fluid and pads between races, as it has been said it is a cheap investment in time and money to get fresh stuff in the car.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Come on now... Of course I didn't mean you and everyone else that tracks and knows about fluid. The "you all" is clearly meant for everyone that doesn't know

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Come on now... Of course I didn't mean you and everyone else that tracks and knows about fluid. The "you all" is clearly meant for everyone that doesn't know
I wasn't sure, problem with forums is that you can't always get the true intention/meaning of a post.

BTW, did you sell the GT3 yet?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
No problem Yep, the GT3 is long sold off and I'm just waiting for the 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM / LSD. Should be here in late March or early April.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
No problem Yep, the GT3 is long sold off and I'm just waiting for the 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM / LSD. Should be here in late March or early April.
I am glad that you sold it, I really wanted a GT3 and loved the one you had. The temptation was tough to resist, but I will just suffer with my C2S

Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Like RonCT's says. SRF once a season for me too. Zero fade with PF01 pads.

I run stockers with PF rotors and I place temp stickers on the calipers and even after a hard session everything is always in range. Can't be happier on the stopping of my car. I almost pulled the trigger on a Brembo BBK and I haven't been able to outbrake my car yet to warrant the change.

I guess what I am saying is if you put in high-end consumables into your braking system you will have great results for long periods of time.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Like RonCT's says. SRF once a season for me too. Zero fade with PF01 pads.

I run stockers with PF rotors and I place temp stickers on the calipers and even after a hard session everything is always in range. Can't be happier on the stopping of my car. I almost pulled the trigger on a Brembo BBK and I haven't been able to outbrake my car yet to warrant the change.

I guess what I am saying is if you put in high-end consumables into your braking system you will have great results for long periods of time.
Where do you get the temp stickers? I would love to have some on my brakes, as I work them very hard. The rear calipers on my car, have turned to a burnt red colour, while the front's are still the original colour. I am only running stock pads and rotors (for now).

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
bringing this discussion back to life

van, ron, can you confirm castrol SRF is compatable with the 997? i've been told a few times it is not but i don't believe it.

also, while it should not be mixed with other fluids, a good flush should take care of that, correct?

i'm suffering from a soft pedal using OEM fluid...tx

Old 05-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Compatible with the 997? Brake fluid is universal, it either works or doesn't work, it's not model specific. It does not mix with other fluids as it will become contaminated and lose it's "magic properties". So complete flush to get rid of the old. I just did my 2 cars - the 09 C2S and the 05 Boxster S and it took 2.5 liters total, so I have 1/2 liter left. $71 a liter at OG when you buy 2 bottles, which is advisable for the 1st time.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:00 AM
VTach is infamous around these parts
Just completed my first flush/bleed and have a question for you guys that have done this a bunch. Are you also bleeding the clutch each time or is this only when flushing the system?
Instructions on renntech.org describe bleeding clutch with pedal wedged in down position. Is the purpose of that step to eliminate every last drop of old fluid? My mechanic was concerned about blowing seals.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Kerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura about
You will have to bleed the clutch when you change your brake fluid. I bleed the clutch in the same fashion I bleed brakes. Two man job, one on the pedals and one bleeding the fluid. Nice slow down strokes in a quiet place for communication between the two.

If you do a lot of events and plan on changing your fluid every two months then I would have your mechanic look into making a nice and easy clutch bleed line that you can get to through the rear deck.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Haywood Jablomi is infamous around these parts
With ceramics I have the Champion flush my fluid after 4 hours of track time when they tech the car for the next event.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Compatible with the 997? Brake fluid is universal, it either works or doesn't work, it's not model specific. It does not mix with other fluids as it will become contaminated and lose it's "magic properties". So complete flush to get rid of the old. I just did my 2 cars - the 09 C2S and the 05 Boxster S and it took 2.5 liters total, so I have 1/2 liter left. $71 a liter at OG when you buy 2 bottles, which is advisable for the 1st time.
let me clarify - i've been told it's bad for seals on porsche. and yes, not to mix.