997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fishy Coolant??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Fishy Coolant??

I installed a 3rd radiator in my car today. In doing so quite a bit of coolant was lost.

So I went to my dealer to buy a gallon ($26).

When I got home I noticed that the coolant I bought was RED in color, but the coolant that came out of my car was GREEN.

I called my dealer and he said that the green coolant is not oem, and must be flushed and replaced prior to adding new coolant?????

It take 8.65 gallons of coolant to do a flush ($234)??

I bought my car certified pre-owned 6 months ago and all the service records were with it and it was only serviced at Porsche dealers???

I called my mechanic and he said it was ok to mix.

SHOULD I CALL MY DEALER THAT I BOUGHT IT FROM AND DEMAND THEY CHANGE THE COOLANT, SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM THEM AND THATS HOW IT CAME??

Or

Should I just top off and call it a day??

Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mobonic
I installed a 3rd radiator in my car today. In doing so quite a bit of coolant was lost.

So I went to my dealer to buy a gallon ($26).

When I got home I noticed that the coolant I bought was RED in color, but the coolant that came out of my car was GREEN.

I called my dealer and he said that the green coolant is not oem, and must be flushed and replaced prior to adding new coolant?????

It take 8.65 gallons of coolant to do a flush ($234)??

I bought my car certified pre-owned 6 months ago and all the service records were with it and it was only serviced at Porsche dealers???

I called my mechanic and he said it was ok to mix.

SHOULD I CALL MY DEALER THAT I BOUGHT IT FROM AND DEMAND THEY CHANGE THE COOLANT, SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM THEM AND THATS HOW IT CAME??

Or

Should I just top off and call it a day??
Porsche's old OEM coolant was green color. I still have a few bottles of the old OEM Porsche coolant lying around in my garage, and it is greenish in tint. They switched to a new coolant that is pinkish in color. You can, however, mix them. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
boxtaboy.

thanks.

I just finished topping it off.

BTW do you just add 100% coolant or do you waterdown 50%???

My dealer suggested watering down 50% with distilled water.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mobonic
boxtaboy.

thanks.

I just finished topping it off.

BTW do you just add 100% coolant or do you waterdown 50%???

My dealer suggested watering down 50% with distilled water.
No problem. You have to mix it 50/50 with distilled water. Do not just add it in your tank in a 100% solution.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
On the subject of coolant... what if any is the recommended change interval?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by gjnockie
On the subject of coolant... what if any is the recommended change interval?
Porsche says its coolant is lifetime, but in reality, the general thought is that it degrades over time, and should be replaced after a while. I recently had my coolant flushed from my car after it being in there for about 4 years, and my coolant temp gauge reading when the engine was fully warmed up went from pointing between the 8 and 0 of 180 to just left of the 8.

Although this brand of coolant is not used in our cars, it gives a good description of coolant:
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=3&scccid=4