997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brakes for HPDEs Cooling issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
You can add the gt3 brake ducts which will allow for some extra cooling as well.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JMon
mdrums, I'll be at the Chin event on 4/18. I'll stop buy and say hi...
Great see you there! You can't miss me 6'5" tall silver prosthetic leg with a Porsche emblem on it.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
What are the part no.'s, approx price and complexity of installing these ducts? I'm about to transplant a GT3 front end on my 'S', and seem like a fundamentally great 'add' at this point. Any downside to these (I can't possibly imagine what that could be)?
BTW, this is a very helpful and informative thread.

Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
You can add the gt3 brake ducts which will allow for some extra cooling as well.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
What are the part no.'s, approx price and complexity of installing these ducts? I'm about to transplant a GT3 front end on my 'S', and seem like a fundamentally great 'add' at this point. Any downside to these (I can't possibly imagine what that could be)?
BTW, this is a very helpful and informative thread.
They are just a bigger version of the stock units, which just clip on to the front control arm. I'll see if I can dig up the part numbers, but I am sure it has been posted in numerous times.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I believe the part numbers are 997.341.483.92 and 484.92. PET lists dealer retail at about $11 bucks each, but I thought they were around $20each, so PET may be wrong. The stock ducts are listed at $23 each.

There are also GT3RS brake ducts, which are even more cupped, but they are about $250 for the set.

For $30-40, the standard GT3 ducts are worth trying.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. They just snap on to the back of the front bumper? Does the wheel well need to be modified? Do you know of any photos to see how this works?
Thanks

I believe the part numbers are 997.341.483.92 and 484.92. PET lists dealer retail at about $11 bucks each, but I thought they were around $20each, so PET may be wrong. The stock ducts are listed at $23 each.

There are also GT3RS brake ducts, which are even more cupped, but they are about $250 for the set.

For $30-40, the standard GT3 ducts are worth trying.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
Thanks. They just snap on to the back of the front bumper? Does the wheel well need to be modified? Do you know of any photos to see how this works?
Thanks
No, they snap on to the front lower control arm, in place of the stock brake ducts. No modification necessary. Remove old ones, install new ones. Drive.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Really nice/cheap upgrade +1

Old 03-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
I did the GT3 ducts per Craig the brake dude at www.Rennstore.com recommendation - really helped.
Suncoast Porsche has them.

*FWIW - 997S brakes are the same as 996TT brakes

Blacks - high rotor wear, huge bite
Orange - Disappoining in every way for hard track use
Yellows - THE BEST. Long life. Easy on rotors. Dead predictable. What you need for track days.

Don't forget fresh non-OEM fluid

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys. Just ordered a set from Ric at SunCoast today. That and sent my car off to the local body shop to have the new GT3 snout painted and installed. Car should be ready by Friday just in time to snap in the ducts and I'll pronounce all mods done.
Um, perhaps

Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 AM
JMon is infamous around these parts
With my Carbotech XP8/XP10 pads, I just left them in all the time and they worked very well on the street.

I hear a lot of guys swap their pads before track events. If you do that, is there an issue with re-bedding the pads due to material differences?

I would like to get some sort of very low dust pad for the street (Maybe ceremic) then have a good set of pads for the track.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
JMon, I have never found a set of street pads with low dust for the street that work on a 997 Porsche. If you find some let me know.

I have used Performance Friction PF97 and Pagid Yellow RS29 pads for the track and drove with them on the street back and forth to the track.

I sort of lean towards the Performance Friction because there is NO bed in with there pads. They are "race ready". Both the PF97 and Yellows stop well once heated up at the track but on the street and for the 1st few laps the PF97's grab better.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Keep the fluid fresh!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
JMon is infamous around these parts
mdrums, For Sebring, do you think I could just stick with the stock pads + GT3 ducts, and just burn through a few sets of those at first (I've only had 4 days there), or should I really get something like the PF97 or RS29 right off the bat, in order to avoid any unnecessary excitement?

BTW I can not locate PF97 pads. Where did you buy yours?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by JMon
mdrums, For Sebring, do you think I could just stick with the stock pads + GT3 ducts, and just burn through a few sets of those at first (I've only had 4 days there), or should I really get something like the PF97 or RS29 right off the bat, in order to avoid any unnecessary excitement?

BTW I can not locate PF97 pads. Where did you buy yours?
Ah Google is you friend...here is what I found.

http://www.raceshopper.com/performan...ompounds.shtml

http://www.frozenrotors.com/products...ance-friction/

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...ction=category

Are you Solo yet? What shape are you stock pads in? What tires are you running for the track?

If you are not running R-Comp tires you should stay with stock pads. When you switch to R-Comp tires get the race pads...it is a system and the tries and pads depend on each other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes for HPDEs Cooling issues?