997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brakes for HPDEs Cooling issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 PM
JMon is infamous around these parts
I use to do a lot of drag racing, so track racing is very new and different for me. I am not solo yet, far from it. I only have 4 track days, and for the past 2 there was bad weather, so I didn't get much track time in.
As far as my pads, without actually measuring, it looks like about 80% front and 60% rear.

I think I'm going to run with my stock Pilot Sports for now.
I'll eventually get a separate set of wheels and tires just for the track, but I'm not sure if I will move to R-Compound or not.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
For $6 more you'll get a lot more life out of a set of pads - get the RS29.
Same pads USED BY THE PRO TEAMS AT SEBRING.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I think I'll stick with the stock pads for now if they will actually not fail.

Yeah I've noticed both the RS-19 and RS-29 are listed as Yellow. I've been having an issue deciding what to order. It seems easier to find the RS-19, CDOC has them listed in their book, but not on-line, and Pelican parts doesn't list them either. They seem kind of elusive, like maybe something is wrong with them and people don't want to use them.

Last edited by JMon; 03-08-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JMon
I think I'll stick with the stock pads for now if they will actually not fail.

Yeah I've noticed both the RS-19 and RS-29 are listed as Yellow. I've been having an issue deciding what to order. It seems easier to find the RS-19, CDOC has them listed in their book, but not on-line, and Pelican parts doesn't list them either. They seem kind of elusive, like maybe something is wrong with them and people don't want to use them.
RS29 are the newer Pagid Yellow pads...eith model will work fine for DE. I've used both...the 29's lasted a little longer...not much though. Bed in with Pagid pads is EXTREMELY important. Read up on bedding in Pagid pads on their website.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Guys as well as brake cooling ducts and pads etc... we also carry lighter weight two piece rotor kits that are slotted (better cooling properties):

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=199

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=195

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Sharkey, those are nice...what is the rotor disc replacment cost? Th eprice on the site is the complete kit...hats and disc. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
KBS911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
Really nice/cheap upgrade +1
I'm taking my car to it's first track event at Roebling Road in April and was interested in brake cooling. Based on this thread I just ordered the GT3 brake ducts. The are literally a snap to install, after removing the wheels, and are formed to really focus/direct the air flow right to the rotors. Seems like a legitimate mod for just a few bucks.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
It's what I did - you won't regret it (ducts)

RS29 is a very slightly higher friction pad with bit more of the characteristics of the RS14 Blacks.

When I order them I make sure Craig sends the RS29. I think that is pretty much what he carries now anyway.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
I was in Homestead yesterday for the Koni races and was speaking with one of the porsche team guys that manages the breaking systems, he mentioned that ducts for cooling used to be needed because the wheels were made in a way that the air would not circulate well in those older designed wheels, currently the wheels that are built for pcars have better air movement dynamics allowing better cooling and less problems with heat build up, and is almost non-existent. Have to say though, they do run pagid and have duct directed at the rotor, but they run stock rotors.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 AM
The Turbo, Where do you buy your RS29s from? How much do you pay for a full set?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by babymd
I was in Homestead yesterday for the Koni races and was speaking with one of the porsche team guys that manages the breaking systems, he mentioned that ducts for cooling used to be needed because the wheels were made in a way that the air would not circulate well in those older designed wheels, currently the wheels that are built for pcars have better air movement dynamics allowing better cooling and less problems with heat build up, and is almost non-existent. Have to say though, they do run pagid and have duct directed at the rotor, but they run stock rotors.
What calipers did you see the P cars using? Pagid RS29 Yellow pads?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned
Hell yes, most race teams DO run the Pagids. Craig at Rennstore said most of the Pro teams do run the Pagids.

I was watching the 24 hrs of Daytona, and presto, there were the Pagid Yellows during the brake changes.

JMon, I use GT3 brakes up front so mine are 379 front and I think about 280 rear.
Buy your Pagids at www.Rennstore.com

Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdrums
What calipers did you see the P cars using? Pagid RS29 Yellow pads?
Sorry Mike didn't ask and don't know the difference..they looked stock, not the big brembos.

Last edited by babymd; 03-17-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned
A wider spread GT3 caliper if I recall correctly

Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Great advice thus far JMon, I run Sebring regularly also and have never had a problem with the Porsche OEM brakes until recently. I upgraded the rotors to the Brembo two piece that Sharky mentioned (Great addition), coupled with Pagid yellows, I even installed the GT3 cup brake ducts, but at the end of a long straight at Homestead...soft pedal. Once I upgraded the fluid all was good again. Here's a link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rs-home-5.html I'll be at Sebring both days in April, and you are more than welcome to jump in for a ride if you have the time. Several of my other Porsche friends will be there as well and you can get everyone's opinion/advice (I usually have a Porsche Gold Meister mechanic with me as well). Just remember, "brakes are overrated, use them sparingly" LOL. I'll admit turn 7 at Sebring requires good brakes, but I don't hit them until I see baby Jesus. Definitely give Bob at Vortex motorsports a call, he's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge.

BTW, anyone else headed to Sebring this weekend for the 12 hour? Look us up, we will be at turn #1 in the North Paddock. PM me if interested in meeting up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes for HPDEs Cooling issues?