997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Am I crazy? Test drove a 911TT and liked the C2S better...?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
It all depends on what you want. A stock 997 turbo has lag, is heavy feeling, has an exhaust note that is likened to a hoover vacuum, but is is incredibly powerful and faster than most anything. If you mod the car, the lag disappears, the exhaust sound becomes impressive, the suspension is much tighter and then you have a reliable megasupercar (wallet is lighter by about $150K, though). But your not nuts if you think that the 997.2 C2S is more fun than the stock turbo you drove. I've been writing that for weeks now on this board. It is more fun - steering is more alive, the car has a far lighter feel to it, the engine response is instantaneous etc. Your choice - can't go wrong with either, but I guarantee if you get the turbo, you'll mod it so budget for that.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I came from an '06 997S and it was a REALLY good car. I hear what everyone is saying about the feel, NA responsiveness, etc. (BTW, I was blown away at how good the base carrera was at PSDS). They are two very different cars but one thing that several ex-997S guys found here when they first got their TT is how much play there is in the stock alignment.

While you can add springs/coilovers, the first thing I would tell any new TT owner to do is to check the alignment - it will make a big difference.

I went the extra mile and went with PSS10 along with the GT3 alignment and it is a very different car.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan
It all depends on what you want. A stock 997 turbo has lag, is heavy feeling, has an exhaust note that is likened to a hoover vacuum, but is is incredibly powerful and faster than most anything. If you mod the car, the lag disappears, the exhaust sound becomes impressive, the suspension is much tighter and then you have a reliable megasupercar (wallet is lighter by about $150K, though). But your not nuts if you think that the 997.2 C2S is more fun than the stock turbo you drove. I've been writing that for weeks now on this board. It is more fun - steering is more alive, the car has a far lighter feel to it, the engine response is instantaneous etc. Your choice - can't go wrong with either, but I guarantee if you get the turbo, you'll mod it so budget for that.
A stock Turbo is a luxury car . A big fat CEO can plop himself into a Tip Cab and sit quietly in traffic much like an AMG Benz . It's quiet enough for him to dictate his memos and if he takes the top down his bald spot might even get a little sunburn .
BUT ..... It can be a 10 second car too , Not bad for versatility.

You want noise throw Cargraphic loud or Tubi on it. Coilover and Gt3 spec seems to be the best handling combination . My springs were not bad though and they are comming off as we speak.

The C2S is agreat car . I actually want one too . I think its a great street car ,

If I were a track junkie I would opt for a Gt3 . In fact one Turbo owner wants to do just that . A 700 Tubo and a Gt3 .

Old 02-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Yup; a stock Turbo with PCCB, LSD, and a fast road geometry alignment can make a big difference to the handling. If you want to go futher then aftermarket kits like Bilstein Damptonics and Sway bars turn the car into something that can rival a GT3 on the track. A GOOD Stage II powerkit will get rid of the lag problem and the vacuum cleaner exhaust sound. You don't need to spend $$$$$ but it will be cheaper than a GT2 and you still have your back seats and 4wd advantages.

Alex