997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stolen Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
my neighbors headlights were stolen from his 997 Targa. He parks it outside, no garage.

Now i notice he puts the nose of the car almost against the house to deter any more thefts, and yes....Miami

Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by strife_wy
Sorry to hear... the 997 headlights are too easy to remove. Porsche's engineering prowess is also its downfall in this case. All a would-be thief has to do is pry open the hood and insert the headlight removal tool (which is *conveniently* in the trunk) and the headlights just pop out. I changed a headlight bulb recently and it took all of 5 minutes.

All they have to is pry open the hood? Thats a lot of body damage. Prying up the hood, given it is aluminum, is certainly easier than steel. Maybe its time to print some stickers that say "Tamper with this car and it will explode, *****-#*(#!"

Or was the car unlocked?

Last edited by Minok; 02-19-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
I am pretty sure that with a large screwdriver blade or pry tool, the headlights will pop out. See, these guys dont care much about scratching the paint or denting the fender.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
they only steal it for the bulbs/ballasts/balancers.

the housing units get thrown away and the above are retrofitted to other cars.

porsche has someof the best bulbs (philips) and their balancers are dynamic (active) is probably why they get targeted more.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vizman
I talked to Erin from Suncoast Porsche, $2400 for both units, left and right.

oooouuucchh. maybe slightly used is better way? try LA dismantler in CA. Maybe they have some

Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
vizman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
All they have to is pry open the hood? Thats a lot of body damage. Prying up the hood, given it is aluminum, is certainly easier than steel. Maybe its time to print some stickers that say "Tamper with this car and it will explode, *****-#*(#!"

Or was the car unlocked?
They actually they managed to open my hood, dont know how. The car was locked. No visible damage on the hood.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
vizman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
oooouuucchh. maybe slightly used is better way? try LA dismantler in CA. Maybe they have some
Thanx bud, will do.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
So pissed right now...they stold my headlights from my 07 997C2S. Now have to buy a new set of headlights...any idea on what I should be looking to pay for these damn xenons?

I was thinking of maybe upgradig to 09 if possible or even worth it so I atleast get to upgrade?
I have had this happen many times . Not on this car . First ... look at this article from 2004. I will write another post while you read. http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear....jsp?id=109550

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ok -- My 2002 996 had the entire front bumper torn off in a public lot . Two big holes were left where my lights were . My 2005 997S had the lights taken so many times that i sold the car and decided to lease a BMW 330i for a little Porsche hiatus .

A neighbor a few miles away on my jogging path and forum member who posts infrequently Krown05 had his taken too. One time while he was getting a hair cut . He lost his three times.

It's actually DECLINED now than in past years . In 2004 the 996.2 lights were so easy to take that they could pop right out. The body shop I went two at that time was getting at least three porsches a week . Other cars too BMW Infiniti . Mercedes -no . Too hard to take .

On my 02 car i got a pager alarm but it screwed up the electical system.

Now --I ONLY park in areas where my car is watched . Even if someone doesn't think its being watched --it is .

If you MUST park randomly -park next to a Bank with cameras .

So why do they take this ?
From what the cops and body shop told me at that time --they place your lights in Hondas and Acuras which don't have them .

Good luck--

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
This is crazy...I have never heard of this.....!
Now I have another thing to worry about and I am already to scared to leave it anywhere due to door dings....GREAT...why do I own this car!
Sorry to hear about this....!

Stacy

Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
They actually they managed to open my hood, dont know how. The car was locked. No visible damage on the hood.

Now THIS is something I'd really like to get to the bottom of. Is there a way to shimmy the hood release? Could they be getting a tool past the seal that manages to trigger the manual release inside the front or reaching the electronic release for the front via the drivers side door switch panel w/o unlocking the car?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
If there was a way to modify the light so they wouldn't pop out so easily the low lifes would probably do more damage to the fenders trying to remove them than the lights are worth. Don't really know if there is a solution. What's the theft rate on the non-Xenon lights ? Not sure they are worth stealing.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
If there was a way to modify the light so they wouldn't pop out so easily the low lifes would probably do more damage to the fenders trying to remove them than the lights are worth. Don't really know if there is a solution. What's the theft rate on the non-Xenon lights ? Not sure they are worth stealing.
As a matter of fact there is. You simply chain a 100 lb Pit Bull (of course a mean one) to your front bumber. It's an easy mod; I'm sure it'll work most of the time.

On the serious side I thiink we can expect more crime and BS in this economy. It pisses me off to no end when some dumb f**k steals anything from me. Mr. S&W and Mr Glock might work but you'd be in more trouble then the poor SOB that's stealing. Maybe under the new stimulus plan the government will give everybody so much money they won't have to steal. (lol).

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
2quik is infamous around these parts
i thought our cars have a factory alarm? why don't they work in this situation????

Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2quik
i thought our cars have a factory alarm? why don't they work in this situation????
There's no shock sensor, just an intrusion alram for the interior and a motion detector for the interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stolen Headlights