997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stolen Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 PM
9eighty6 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear that happened to you. What a crappy situation. Best of luck resolving it.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
The 997 and 996 headlights are mounted and come out the same way. Although you're supposed to use the allen wrench to rotate the cam arm to release the headlight housing, it probably isn't impossible to jam a screwdriver under the light housing and fender to pop the housing over the cam arm and pull it out. The clue is all the 997 headlights you see on Ebay with the chipped lower housing edge - almost a guarantee the seller is selling stolen headlights as there's really no other reason for them being broken like that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140298905961

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140292177919

Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
2quik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
There's no shock sensor, just an intrusion alram for the interior and a motion detector for the interior.
stupid question, but isn't opening the hood (our trunk) considered going into the interior of the car? -hence shouldnt the alarm go off it was opened up w/o the remote key or w/o one of the doors being opened first?

Someone who lives close to the seller on ebay should pay the guy a visit

Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
South Florida is a tough place to have a nice car, you almost have to have a garage. I have a BMW X5 with zenons and they are also a popular headlight to be stolen. I always watch where I park and park it in the garage every night.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
This is crazy...I have never heard of this.....!
Now I have another thing to worry about and I am already to scared to leave it anywhere due to door dings....GREAT...why do I own this car!
Sorry to hear about this....!

Stacy
Stacy,
If you decide to drive your car here , let me know. Tell me where you park it so I can steal the Supercharger
Jim

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vizman
On Jan.27 on coral way close to the palmetto.
Sorry to hear that. *******s are everywhere. It hasn't been prevalent here in North Broward for Porsches but there are lots of stolen Acura and Nissan headlights in the Coral Springs area according to BSO Everytime I see junky old car with xenons, I know someone was ripped off!!

Last edited by slant83; 02-22-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Each xenon headlamp assembly is just over $1,000. Good thing they went through the hood because last year The Collection charged someone $4,000 for new lamps and repairing the bumper where they jammed in some tool to release the lamp.

Vizman, if you want a shock sensor and a warning red blinking LED added to the existing alarm at each headlight, talk to Gary, the independent radio and alarm guy at The Collection. I have them on my car. PM me for his cell and the dealer with the $1,064 price.

Last edited by TAch Miami; 02-22-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added dealer price
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear this man. Up here in Toronto we really don't see much of this,.. knock on wood. Maybe because our Toronto craigslist is flooded with aftermarket HID kits for $150 per pair. Any how, to help out a little I noticed a guy on the Toronto craigslist is asking $1200 or best offer for a set of 997 lights (no chunks missing at the bottom LOL). High sensitivity motion/touch senor alarm system compatible with 997 electronics is needed I assume if you live there. Anyone have one?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
a shock sensor and a warning red blinking LED added to the existing alarm at each headlight
Thats about the best workable solution. The headlamp alarm letting out a warning chirp every time the front end moves would be ideal.

The other option is to have Congress mandate all new cars must use Xenon headlights... then there would be a lot of easier targets to get the lamps out of.

Personally, I'm not sure why the FBI isn't all over those ads with the obviously stolen merchandise. Maybe Porsche can etch VIN #'s into the lamp assemblies too to facilitate identification of stolen merchandise?

Last edited by Minok; 02-24-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
My alarm doesn't give a warning chirp...it goes off for a normal cycle when a headlight gets bumped.

Police don't track VINs so I also etched my DL number in a bunch of places on the headlamp housing.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
vizman is infamous around these parts
TAch Miami, sent you a PM

Thanx

Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
That ebay seller's entire inventory is used headlamps!

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/sunnylake77

How could anyone get all of thse used lamps without stealing them?? What does he do, go around to the collision centers in town and give them $50/lamp on totalled cars and then sell them on ebay? That's not impossible, I suppose.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CMOS
That ebay seller's entire inventory is used headlamps!

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/sunnylake77

How could anyone get all of thse used lamps without stealing them?? What does he do, go around to the collision centers in town and give them $50/lamp on totalled cars and then sell them on ebay? That's not impossible, I suppose.
headlamps and airbags...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
vizman...got back to you.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
My alarm doesn't give a warning chirp...it goes off for a normal cycle when a headlight gets bumped.
I'd probably not want the full alarm to go off just if the car is bumped unless it is a very serious wrap. Ideally, I don't want it to go off if someone brushes against the car in my office parking lot (lot designers in general should be shot for incompetence); but a chirp would warn persons that the car is aware of your presence. Full out alarm would be useful with a significant bump or a screw driver behind the headlight assembly, etc.

Police don't track VINs so I also etched my DL number in a bunch of places on the headlamp housing.
True, but for me, its not so much for the police tracking it down as it is for me feeling better about whom I'm gonna shoot in the face for having my headlight assembly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stolen Headlights