997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving Dynamics of AWD vs RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dlchasen
Ron,
Just to clarify what he said . . . . "they" use the chassis, not the drivetrain, because the chassis is superior. Essentially a Turbo without the turbo. He further said that Porsche does not publicize the fact. For all I know, this could be unadulterated BS.
Ahh, but that's still not correct. They don't have different chassis for C2S vs. C4... And they certainly don't use the C4 chassis for any race cars (nor the Turbo). Think about the GT3 / RS / Cup cars - they aren't built on Turbo / C4 platforms...

Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
That's clearly the best solution. The problem is, at least in So. FL, the traffic is intense, the roads are straight, and there's law enforcement everywhere. May have to implement that solution out West!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Originally Posted by RonCT
Ahh, but that's still not correct. They don't have different chassis for C2S vs. C4... And they certainly don't use the C4 chassis for any race cars (nor the Turbo). Think about the GT3 / RS / Cup cars - they aren't built on Turbo / C4 platforms...
Ron,
I sense that you know a whole lot more than the salesman in question. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
another issue concerning awd, is whether it is an "intelligent" awd, as in the Nissan GTR and Mitsu Evo, a "semi-intelligent" awd as in the C4S, or a "dumb" system as in my S4. BTW, when I describe these systems as intelligent or dumb, I mean what the computer and/or active diffs do to make the car handle better. In my S4, it has a system like porsches ABD, and it does nothing to help handling. Whereas the brand new S4 has a system like the C4S with some computer help. Supposedly, you can get power oversteer in the new S4. With my S4, all you got was a good look at a tree or guardrail! My S4 had no speed advantage that I could discern over a 2wd car, unless you were accelerating from a side street as quickly as possible in front of a 18-wheeler! The rest of the time it numbed and dumbed the chassis response. I still enjoyed it, but it was more of a pretty appliance than a sports car. I understand that there is a good deal of discussion on several boards concerning the AWD vs 2wd debate, but a good case-in-point is the original speedvision race series. We had 911s vs M3 vs S4/S6 with only balast/penalty weight seperating them(from the standpoint of chassis). They had a standing start, so the S4 would leap to the first corner and lead until lap 6 or 7. Then the horrendous understeer and weight would take its toll and Micheal Galati would see R Pobst in the 911 in one mirror and the Auberlain M3 in the other. Unless he could make the S4/6 wide enough to plug up the track, he was passed on the inside in a very easy clean way. The ran on street tires at first, and when they were in the pits, the outside front edge of the audi would be chunked and torn. So, I don't see how a basic or semi intelligent AWD is going to be a major help, unless snow is your thing. With the intelligent AWD, all bets are off. They certainly should be faster than 2wd. But 2 things bother me:
1) how will a GTR be after lap 6?? If you are spinning the outside wheels faster and with more torque, aren't you beating them up. Not to mention that all of this adds weight!
2)who is driving the car...certainly not me. Probably some proprietary microchip in the dashboard. And it is always nice to know that a 16 year old with a learner's permit and who plays X-Box Forza motorsports can lap the ring in the GTR faster than me!
I say to keep the driving experience as Pure as possible and stay with the classic 911 formula of 2wd. AWD can help, but it is like drinking fine wine through a straw; certainly more convenient and easy, but you miss some of the experience
BTW, I also don't consider the "ring" to be the holy grail.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
You need to get out more

Originally Posted by Corinthian
I think the discussion about control is a bit academic though because I have never seen a 911 or anything like that do a high speed run when it snows here in Chicago, they just try to make it home doing 30 mph max speed.

Only luxury cars I have seen here in Chicago moving fast with 1-2 " of snow on the ground are Audi's, Land Cruisers and FFRR's

Cheers
I drive mine all weathers and LOVE driving in the snow. You don't drive fast in town only because most other cars don't handle the snow as well as the 911. Get out on smaller roads outside of Chicago with little traffic and 2 - 3" of snow and you can really get a move on.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
2MCHPWR is infamous around these parts
no awd for this brave man at our local snow races:

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 02-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
When asked by GT Porsche, Walter Rohrl said he preferred the AWD due to the better handling.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
yeah, but factory drivers say what they are generally told to say. Steve Millen and Randy Pobst say otherwise. Not to mention Autocross guys like Thomasen, who drives the GT3 (and took a national championship in SOLO with it) tend to have some relatively negative things to say about the awd versions. Typically they bemoan the weight and understeer on a track. (no comment on street performance) This may be different with the latest AWD version. I don't think I have read or seen any comments on the newest C4S.......

Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dlchasen
Ron,
Just to clarify what he said . . . . "they" use the chassis, not the drivetrain, because the chassis is superior. Essentially a Turbo without the turbo. He further said that Porsche does not publicize the fact. For all I know, this could be unadulterated BS.
I have read the wide body is used for racing for this reason (stiffness) plus the fact that it allows for wider rubber/track. This has no bearing on your needs for the street or the occasional race day. 4wd is heavier and more complex and, for road use, only of value in snow. You know that the rwd car is more nimble and responsive, more fun for your purpose. Unless you are planning to build a cup car in the near future go with that. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Accepting that I'm also a RWD zealot (the numb-er steering and weight thing being my concern), I'll also note that the 'AWD being better for snow' ignores a common SUV issue. They may 'go' better in snow, they may even 'turn' better in snow (although there's more a clever driver can do with RWD IMHO), but they don't 'stop' any better in snow. Unless you are considering relying on AWD to get you out of a snow drift (and sorry, it's a sports car, so no way), you're really limited to driving at the limit of your stopping ability. And that's a constant.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
dajgazu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
no awd for this brave man at our local snow races:

Wow..that looks fun What kind of tires is he running.. They look like all seasons..?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Corinthian is infamous around these parts
There was an article last year in Excellence, June 2008 issue, Ice Warriors is the title. In there Vic Elford who won the 1968 Monte Carlo on a 911 says "RWD cars are lost in snow, and you can't drive on ice without a limited slip"

For the 933 cars the AWD was certainly stiffer than the RWD, same exact chassis like the Turbo, I don't know if this is carried with the later generations though.

Cheers