997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving Dynamics of AWD vs RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
Driving Dynamics of AWD vs RWD

I'm trying to decide between a C2S and a C4S and I'd like to get your insight on driving dynamics between the two. I've had AWD vehicles (A4, RRSport) and RWD vehicles (M3, 540, Cayman S) and although I probably won't drive the 997 all winter, it probably will see some snow and ice. With my AWD vehicles I've always felt like I have less car control - more uncontrollable 4-wheel drifts and more understeer. With my RWD vehicles, I've felt that I can correct more slips/slides with the throttle and/or a little opposite lock. I'm not sure if it's my driving style or what but the RWD always feels more comfortable which would lead me to a C2S (even though I like the C4S widebody). Is it me or do others have the same feelings when comparing RWD vs AWD? Any insights would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Corinthian is infamous around these parts
Having had multiple BMW's in the past they are drivable with snow tires and to a degree controllable but not confidence inspiring

Quattro and permanent AWD systems on the other side are much more than simply drivable.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
This is perhaps one of the most asked questions and debated subjects at the forum. If you do a search, you'll find dozens of threads and all sorts of opinions. Basically, there's no purpose for AWD unless you are driving in the snow a lot. AWD is heavier, less efficient, has less storage, is less "sharp" in handling / steering, etc. I've got maybe 10k miles on the track and 15k on the street in 997 RWD cars in the rain, dry, cold (ie: 26 to 40 degrees), etc. and have never "wanted" AWD.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
Ron, thanks for the feedback. I'll do a search. Have you ever had the same feeling that AWD is "harder" to control?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I think you need to think about the ultimate limit and then how hard is to control at the limit.

It might be harder to control a AWD but it's limit would be much higher than a RWD for sure.

I am going for a 2S myself

Cheers

Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Good point. Since I don't track my cars I think the C2S is the better option for me.

I just search through AWD and RWD and most of the threads deal with the differences for a 911. I didn't see any that talked about basic car control differences. Again, I'm trying to validate my feeling that in wet/snow conditions it's actually easier to manipulate the car with RWD, rather than relying on the technology to do it for you in an AWD.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I was going to buy a C4S but after testing driving both, I found I really preferred the handling and feel of the CS - and that is why I bought it instead.

Have never wished I had AWD at all this winter, and we have had some heavy snow. I also find even when I have to correct, etc. managing RWD feels much more natural than trying to correct AWD.

It really depends on your driving preferences and your confidence in handling. I guess AWD would offer more control in the slick or snow, but what you give up is most of the fun and awesome feel that the Porsche RWD helped build the brand and one of the features the 911 is known for.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I think the discussion about control is a bit academic though because I have never seen a 911 or anything like that do a high speed run when it snows here in Chicago, they just try to make it home doing 30 mph max speed.

Only luxury cars I have seen here in Chicago moving fast with 1-2 " of snow on the ground are Audi's, Land Cruisers and FFRR's

Cheers

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't say I find AWD harder to control (never had AWD on the track, only street). It just feels heavier and the steering "dumber". Not significantly, but to me the RWD C2S feels "crisper" than the C4S. I've never run out of traction in my RWD Porsches - ever. Not in the cold, rain, or dry. It's more about the tires than having the front wheels being driven in these cars. There's probably a false sense of more "capacity" in AWD, having so many miles in RWD Porsches I can suggest C2S has just as much driving "capacity" as RWD except in the snow. In the 997, for the first time in Porsche history the C4S was able to "keep up" with the C2S around The Ring, which is very interesting... The engineers have finally been able to tweak things enough to make the AWD overcome it's weight disadvantage.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Ron pretty much sums it up. The AWD steering feels numb compared to 2 wheels drive. I have 2 friends that track a 42 (AWD) and I have ridden in the car on the track and it seems to push in the corners (understeer). I am not positive if this is because of limited track alignment on the stock suspension and al the extra weight up front or something to do with the AWD system.

I am just more of a 2 wheel drive fan,,,but the wider hips of a C4S sure look good!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
The senior salesperson (20 years selling P cars) at my local dealership made this statement to me: "If money were an object, I'd by a 4 before an S. The chassis is stiffer, which is why they're used on professionally raced cars."

Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by dlchasen
The senior salesperson (20 years selling P cars) at my local dealership made this statement to me: "If money were an object, I'd by a 4 before an S. The chassis is stiffer, which is why they're used on professionally raced cars."
Yet another example of a self proclaimed "expert" that truly knows nothing about his product. I was at an area dealership a few months back and was introduced to the "top" salesman, who was with Porsche for decades, knew everything, etc. He in fact knew nothing about the 997 - he was stuck on air cooled product. Didn't know engine sizes, suspension (thought PASM was PSM), etc.

Where did this dealer get that Porsche race cars are AWD now? The irony is Porsche doesn't race ANY AWD cars, only RWD - and I'm betting there's a reason.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 AM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
I know this is not exactly the same but my S4 is beyond numb with the AWD. I feel like I am trying to drive a loaf of bread when compared to my 997S. The ability to roll on the throttle and feel in the seat the car start to slightly drift, all in control and very predictable makes the 997S one of the most fun cars I have thrown into a corner. My AWD S4 gives no "seat feedback". I know that sounds odd but when I fly I feel what is going on with the plane through the seat and to me that translates well to driving.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Ron,
Just to clarify what he said . . . . "they" use the chassis, not the drivetrain, because the chassis is superior. Essentially a Turbo without the turbo. He further said that Porsche does not publicize the fact. For all I know, this could be unadulterated BS.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Just a thought.....

Drive both and form your own opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Dynamics of AWD vs RWD