997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how much lower does a 997 GT3 sit vs 997S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
how much lower does a 997 GT3 sit vs 997S?

want to see how the gt3 wheels will look on a stock 997 S

Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Did you buy them from Wheel Boutique?

If so that is another mod, then you will need to lowered your car about an inch!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Did you buy them from Wheel Boutique?

If so that is another mod, then you will need to lowered your car about an inch!
yes

what do you mean another mod??!! are you counting tint?

tell me about lowering. i dont track the car so i dont want a go cart ride and want to retain pasm.

maybe ill slap them on to see how they look. with the stock wheels, i dont really feel the need for a drop.

anybody here have pics of 997 + gt3 wheels?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
yes

what do you mean another mod??!! are you counting tint?

tell me about lowering.
Yes, tint is a mod...didn't come from the factory like that

Lowering with a set of springs will retain your PASM and ride quality.

Your car will look great with the Black GT3 wheels, beware the Cups will wear quickly.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Plus the Michelin Cups are horrible...actually dangerous in the rain.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
First, if you haven't bought GT3 wheels yet, don't. They are way too heavy and prone to damage. Cast wheels. Spend the same money and get something forged or save a bundle and get something like the light cast Alleggerita (or whatever that new wheel from OZ is called).

As to the 19" Porsche N-rated Pilot Sport Cup - Mike, I have lots of track time on my set and they are the opposite of what you are suggesting. They are rock solid in the rain and cold because of the change in compound from the original PSCup. If you are talking about "old" Cup design, I agree - bad in the cold and wet. But the new 19s are downright excellent in the rain and cold (which is why they aren't as good as the old cups in the warm and dry).

Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I am talking about the old 19" cup and the current 18" cups. The current 19" cups and not real cups anymore. Or get the Pirelli Corsa if you want a very streetable track tire. For the track though the Toyo RA 1 or R888 perform better in the dry and wet than the Michelin Cups.

Like Ron says, stay away from the GT3 wheels...they are way to heavy and for the money you can do a lot better.
Originally Posted by RonCT
First, if you haven't bought GT3 wheels yet, don't. They are way too heavy and prone to damage. Cast wheels. Spend the same money and get something forged or save a bundle and get something like the light cast Alleggerita (or whatever that new wheel from OZ is called).

As to the 19" Porsche N-rated Pilot Sport Cup - Mike, I have lots of track time on my set and they are the opposite of what you are suggesting. They are rock solid in the rain and cold because of the change in compound from the original PSCup. If you are talking about "old" Cup design, I agree - bad in the cold and wet. But the new 19s are downright excellent in the rain and cold (which is why they aren't as good as the old cups in the warm and dry).

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
thanks for the advice guys. i am not new the wheel business. i have purchased 20-30 sets in the last decade.

i too am sensitive about wheel weight and quality.

i went with the GT3 wheels despite the heavier weight because these will be used for street and 4 pounds wont be very noticible.

now i had made mistakes early on and with really heavy wheels, i did feel the car get more sluggish and did feel ther car feel more snappy with 3 piece light ccw's.

an OZ 19x11 (their lighest model) weighs 24 pounds. bump it up to GT3 size and it will likely weigh 26.

volks are awesome wheels for the track with low weight and good quality (no cheap though) but dont have any style for the street and give the car a cross breed japanese/german look that i do not like.

hre monoblocks are not cheap or especially light.

ccw's race wheels are light and relatively cheap but fugly. no offense to John Purner, as i have purchased 4 sets of wheels from him.

for the street, you need something sturdy. ask me how many 3 piece wheels i have bent.

30 pounds for a 19x12 is not obese. it could be lighter and the C6Z 19x12 weighs a little over 26 pounds but you can make up some of it by choosing lighter street tires.

the 1 piece forged offerings besides ccw are over priced imo.

the best choice for most cars for street or track are usually the factory wheels if you take economics into consideration.

finally, forged wheels are heavier than cast. its because the forged wheel has more material cramped into the same space. but because forged is stronger than cast, forged wheel manufacturers can use less material (ie thinner spokes and barrels) to produce the wheel.

in the end, forged wheels dont come out much if any lighter than cast wheels.

a good example is the 01 to 02 Z06 wheel. in 01 they were forged and in 02 they were cast. same exact wheel and the cast weighed LESS.

now there are different types of casting and not all are equal. the point is dont get too caught up in the hype.

i know instances where forged racing wheels have broken at the track.

i think a set of GT3 wheels will, in the end, make for an easier sale when i decide to sell them. though i have yet to see a wheel that looked as good.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Bara - there are a couple pics of the GT3 wheels on a 997 at this site. I personally love the look and is what I would get if I get a 997. I would lower it a bit with springs though. I don't track either and went with springs on my CaymanS. Went with coilovers (JIC) on my 996tt and the rides on the street were very comfortable with both the springs and c/o's

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...lDetail&id=171

Old 02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Bara, I agree that OEM wheels are a good choice for Street and Track use. I have a set of OEM Sport Design that I use on the track and have beaten the crap out them, and they drive straight and true. I don't think Porsche will put a wheel on there car that cannot handle the occasional DE. Saying that a set of light weight wheels for the track would be nice to have, but I would rather use what I have and not worry about bends and scratches.

I do agree with Mike that the Cups are not the best in the wet, as I have them for the track and will be using other tires for the wet days this year.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Bara - there are a couple pics of the GT3 wheels on a 997 at this site. I personally love the look and is what I would get if I get a 997. I would lower it a bit with springs though. I don't track either and went with springs on my CaymanS. Went with coilovers (JIC) on my 996tt and the rides on the street were very comfortable with both the springs and c/o's

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...lDetail&id=171
thanks. i bought a knock off one time and i will never do that again. i got oem's on the way

Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I had 3 sets of wheels with my GT3: Stock, Volk, and Fikse. GT3 were 30 lbs 13 oz (call it 31 lbs), Volk 22 lbs, and Fikse 22 lbs. That's 9 lbs heavier and weaker than both. I've never had an issue with forged wheels, only cast (bent rims, damaged spokes from rocks, etc.). The reason why the better wheels (those used by race teams as well) are Forged is they are lighter and stronger. I do like the OEM Sport Design - light and strong. I agree - one buys GT3 wheels for looks and not performance. As soon as I got my GT3 I quickly took them off as they were holding the car back.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
I had 3 sets of wheels with my GT3: Stock, Volk, and Fikse. GT3 were 30 lbs 13 oz (call it 31 lbs), Volk 22 lbs, and Fikse 22 lbs. That's 9 lbs heavier and weaker than both. I've never had an issue with forged wheels, only cast (bent rims, damaged spokes from rocks, etc.). The reason why the better wheels (those used by race teams as well) are Forged is they are lighter and stronger. I do like the OEM Sport Design - light and strong. I agree - one buys GT3 wheels for looks and not performance. As soon as I got my GT3 I quickly took them off as they were holding the car back.
didnt realize that was a gt3 in your pic. thought it was an aero kit. did you sell your gt3 oem wheels?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
thanks. i bought a knock off one time and i will never do that again. i got oem's on the way
I posted that primarily for the pictures that you requested. Did you click on the pictures to the right highlighted in blue?

On top of that, they are not knock off wheels. In addition to Porsche wheels, they sell HRE, Fikse, Techart etc. I hardly think the company sells junk but it sounds like you know it all already. Have at it.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I kept them and sold them with the car last month. 997.2 w/ Sport PASM / LSD on the way. It really was something how the car got such a performance boost when I swapped out the wheels / tires to the lighter forged. 9 lbs of unsprung / rotational mass is significant in both acceleration and braking response.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how much lower does a 997 GT3 sit vs 997S?