997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Afterhours pipes VS. Fabspeed Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brando
His outlets seemed to be positioned perfectly......but the exit pipe was too small diameter.

And on top of that, the right side pipe was smaller than the left. ??

The tip clamps would not tighten down enough to hold them in place.
Thats weird. Maybe its a 997 thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Thats weird. Maybe its a 997 thing.
Prob......on his 997 mufflers, you don't use the tip pipe like on the 996.

The extension is welded to the muffler and not joined like mine.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I got my tips fixed today- the simplest and cleanest way possible: I spot welded each tip to the outlet pipe. It's 4 small dots of weld, such that if I ever want to take them off, I can easily remove them by simply using a file on the 4 spots. Yet they're on solidly for driving. Brian at AH was going to fabricate me some shims and FedEx them, but in the end, it wasn't necessary. Thanks for offering though, Brian. He was terrific to do business with, really helpful and knowledgeable guy.

The sound, as I have said, is incredible. It's certainly louder, inside and outside the car. But it's not just volume, it's a different sound- much DEEPER, more like a mean GROWL, and had a lot of GURGLE in it, which I like.

It honestly sounded like a Ferrari 360 that I saw the other day- it's that deep and throaty. In terms of performance, it's hard to tell any difference vs. the Fabspeed mufflers I took off. If anything, I think I feel more of a surge at around 5,000 RPM's when accelerating, but again, nothing too noticeable, though the weight difference was meaningful. Total of 16 lbs for the pair of AH vs. 34 lbs for the Fabspeeds.

I know I am teasing everyone by not posting vids- but they're coming soon, I promise!
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 03-02-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold
No Cattman you're just teasing me because Brian is only like 20 mins from me!!! LOL can't ca't to here it take off and drive by also!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Cattman...

What kind of tips are you using ?

Perhaps Brian at AH can/will chime in but were the tips not fitting propery an isolated occurence with your set ? Or, are the different size diameter exit pipes intended ?

Any resonance/droan throughout the rev band in the cabin ??

Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Cattman...

What kind of tips are you using ?

Perhaps Brian at AH can/will chime in but were the tips not fitting propery an isolated occurence with your set ? Or, are the different size diameter exit pipes intended ?

Any resonance/droan throughout the rev band in the cabin ??
Hey guys. I ordered my set of AH pipes from Brian last week, and he contacted me today to make sure everything was measured correctly before they leave for Ohio I can't find my caliper, but I measured the ID of the S tips at 2 5/16" (with the clamp bolts tight). See pic. If anyone else has a spare set of S tips (or non-S tips for that matter), I would be interested in the measurements.

Dang it, Cattman. How can I possibly wait for my pipes...when you compare the sound to a 360!!!!

Nick

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Can't wait for vids!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
I'm so freaken excited about getting my -- new to me -- Fabspeed Exhausts I can't help myself! One more week... if I get lucky, maybe Friday??

And, of course, I'm going add either an EVO Intake or the K&N... I HATE THIS MOD BUG....um, not really...

Cattman, thank you for all the pictures and the great packaging/communication... hopefully you're enjoying your exhausts as much as I'm going to enjoy mine!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I am 100% confident that my tip issue (I am using OEM S tips) was an isolated one, and Brian made it right immediately. Terrific customer service, I can really recommend him. No one should worry about this, it was likely my tips which had an issue.

I wish AfterHours made more mods- maybe headers or cats or an intake are in the works for them?

Lakerholic, I'd be surprised if the Fabspeed's got there on Friday, I think Sat or Mon are probably more realistic, since the PO said 7 days. But you can watch their Westward progression via their online tracking.

Nick, don't just add a drop in filter to your standard airbox, go for the EVOMS unit.

Tell you what, I'll make a really quick vid right now of just the exhaust sound, so you can get a taste. Later I'll make a real good one with inside sounds, drive-bys, etc.
CATTMAN

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

J,

Glad you got the tips sorted out. Did you remember to tell Brian to send you a replacement band clamp?

Maybe if the weather is nice Sat, we could get together and shoot some video's!

Originally Posted by Cattman
Tell you what, I'll make a really quick vid right now of just the exhaust sound, so you can get a taste. Later I'll make a real good one with inside sounds, drive-bys, etc.
CATTMAN

Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I'm glad everything has worked out. AH pipes are truly great.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
I am 100% confident that my tip issue (I am using OEM S tips) was an isolated one, and Brian made it right immediately. Terrific customer service, I can really recommend him. No one should worry about this, it was likely my tips which had an issue.
Thanks for the added insight and kudos to Brian for being there to make it right if need be.

First mod is on deck.....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough

I wish AfterHours made more mods- maybe headers or cats or an intake are in the works for them?
CATTMAN
Cattman,
I emailed Brian the exact same question yesterday

Nick