997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Custom painted wheels: what to do about center caps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Custom painted wheels: what to do about center caps?

i want to do a custom paint on my wheels and want the center caps to match. is the colored crest in the middle of the center cap removable or do i need to just mask it for paint?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Crests are not removable.

If you're going black, there are black caps with gold crests that you can buy. If you're going any other color, I would just mask.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
There are also black caps with silver crests that are etched into cap itself.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
thanks guys. the wheels are black 997 GT3's and i want to do a dark silver (car is arctic silver) so i guess i just need to mask off the crest.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
If you pick a darker Porsche color like Meteor Grey for example then you can get Meteor Grey center caps however its probably just cheaper to mask the crest off and paint.

Jason

Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
a company called Ralph Booth sells center caps with removable Porsche crests. One person had them "brushed" by HRE to match his wheels:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...0-brushed.html

And their caps have locking screws so they cannot be stolen - without removing the wheel.

http://www.boothedesign.com/centercaps.html

Last edited by johnstoy; 03-03-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM
thanks for the heads up. might consider that.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
thanks for the heads up. might consider that.
www.bumperplugs.com - they can paint to match.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I purchased wheels with the colored crests and had the center caps painted at the same time as the rims. The shop doing the wheels masked the colored crest and painted them.. came out great.

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
thanks guys. i have ready access to a paint shop so i think whatever color i decide, i will mask off the emblem and paint the ceter caps as well.

good to know that there are other options though