997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

EVO v-Flow intake installation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb EVO v-Flow intake installation question

So the weather is finally warming up in Toronto and I decided to install the evolution motorsports v-flow intake I had lying around since fall.

Everything went smoothly but I have a few newbie questions for those who have this mod (sorry if this is already posted somewhere but I tried searching without any luck):

1. The plastic box part of the intake doesn't seem to be very secure; that is, the intake box is really just sitting in the engine bay held down by a single screw and the intake hose itself. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

2. The way that the throttle body is angle is preventing the intake from "seating" properly in the intake box. In my install, I had to angle it a few degrees off from a flush joint between where the hose and plastic box part connect. Is this normal?

3. Last question - When I installed my MAF into the intake hose, there was a green rubber insulating ring that just doesn't seem to fit inside the MAF cavity on the EVOMS unit. I have the screws as far as it can go and there's still a 2-3mm gap. Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Number 1 and 2 are normal. Regarding #3, I am not sure if there was any gap when mine was installed (just sold it), but from what I remember it did sit fairly flush. I believe that the green o ring seal will seals it completely though.

Matt

Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Kerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura about
For the ring go to Napa and get something called Sil Glide. The ring is most likely just dry.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Huh ? 6 bills for an aftermarket CAI kit and its' fitment sucks ? You need another product at NAPA for it to fit properly ?

Who'd you buy this from ? ......and why on earth would you f' with a factory designed part that fits perfectly just for the sake of deeper sound at WOT and NO added hp ?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Huh ? 6 bills for an aftermarket CAI kit and its' fitment sucks ? You need another product at NAPA for it to fit properly ?

Who'd you buy this from ? ......and why on earth would you f' with a factory designed part that fits perfectly just for the sake of deeper sound at WOT and NO added hp ?
FWIW, Porsche Factory Cup cars use this intake. And, apart from the op's concerns, this is the first I've heard of fitment issues.

I just bought ///MJFDDS' intake and will be installing it over the weekend.... so I'll give my impressions on everything when I get it on.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lakerholic
FWIW, Porsche Factory Cup cars use this intake. And, apart from the op's concerns, this is the first I've heard of fitment issues.

I just bought ///MJFDDS' intake and will be installing it over the weekend.... so I'll give my impressions on everything when I get it on.
FWIW ? Not much at all. Porsche Factory Cup cars are expendable and engine tear downs and rebuilds are done after what ? Every 30 hours of race time.

Sorry, not sold. Put the $600 hundreds to work elsewhere. Maybe a driving school where you'll get 10xs benefit value over this part. You got kids ? 529's are starving.......

Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Kerrigan Smith - Would a regular silicon lube work? Or does it have to be the "Sil Glide" brand?

Hattrick - Wow... why so negative.... I bought it for sound and because I like working on my car. Fitment problem sounds more like it has to do with my poor DIY skills than the intake itself... and like lakerholic says, the factory cup cars use it so there must be some benefit... but yea, i'm not expecting more than a few hp if at all

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by strife_wy
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Kerrigan Smith - Would a regular silicon lube work? Or does it have to be the "Sil Glide" brand?

Hattrick - Wow... why so negative.... I bought it for sound and because I like working on my car. Fitment problem sounds more like it has to do with my poor DIY skills than the intake itself... and like lakerholic says, the factory cup cars use it so there must be some benefit... but yea, i'm not expecting more than a few hp if at all
Not negative. Just realistic and pragmatic. These aftermarket parts are expensive...very expensive ! Don't be confused, Porsche Cup Cars are Sponsored ! They can afford all the trick parts and not worry about the long term effects on their cars. Make no mistake, they are expendable. If you want to drop that kind of coin to dress up your engine bay and hear a deeper tone while on throttle....have at it. It's a waste of money for a daily driver and garage queen. Sorry....it's the truth.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
The problem I have w this or any aftermarket box is the filter itself. As hattrick suggests above, w a racing engine longevity is not an issue. Air filtration is not a priority. I am struck by the problems w reusable filters (clogged mas's) and a lack of information about what size particles the filter allows to pass and what it's capacity is. You want to change sound, play w mufflers. As to it not fitting right....thats just great isn't it? Protect your rings dude. Your car will love you for it. A 911 is not a disposable item, for me at least.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
It baffles me how the human senses influence its motivation to spend money needlessly.

Let's spend hundreds of dollars on CAI products for an aggressive sound with no added benefit and potentially detrimental effects on a sports car that's driven at what -----7/10ths of its' capability on the street??

Analogy: I just bought the new Porsche Design Cologne. I smell great while driving my Porsche car, thus, I must be going faster. Oh wait, I breakout when I wear it...but that's ok because I have the extra money to burn so it's no big deal.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The green O-ring does provide significant resistance when re-installing the MAF. If you cannot make it work, call the EVOMS. I am certain they are the best source of information on this.

To address the other stuff that's been brought up here:

-Cup Teams are sponsored by deep pocketed folks, but it's not a toss-away philosophy. They will test aggressively, sure. And their tolerance for failure during test is greater than our is. But they won't run anything in a race that isn't legitimate- there is far too much margin for error to do so.

-Even if paid a lot of money to use a part, a Cup Team wouldn't bother if it were not either neutral or net positive. The reason: winning sells product. And that makes up for any money lost by not using a part that didn't add to that win.

I think the EVOMS is a very safe, totally benign mod.
CATTMAN

Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
It baffles me how the human senses influence its motivation to spend money needlessly.

Let's spend hundreds of dollars on CAI products for an aggressive sound with no added benefit and potentially detrimental effects on a sports car that's driven at what -----7/10ths of its' capability on the street??

Analogy: I just bought the new Porsche Design Cologne. I smell great while driving my Porsche car, thus, I must be going faster. Oh wait, I breakout when I wear it...but that's ok because I have the extra money to burn so it's no big deal.

Is your car stock?
I am thinking you are a purist and it is....not everyone is though.....some of us just enjoy spending our hard earned money on things that make our cars a little different.For me I have no other bad habits but my car!
Can't take the money with me,LOL!
If you are driving your 7-10ths of it's capability,then you can afford to lose 3/10 ths and gain sound for the other senses,LOL!
I had that intake and loved it at 5000 rpm,even if there was no other gain but sound!
Only reason I took it off was for a supercharger...which I can only imagine what you think of that
Now I only drive my car 4/10ths of it's capability,LOL!

Stacy

PS Strife_wy you will love the sound!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Many people run and have run the EVOMS intake and have had no problem and like the product. If the product was not satisfactory then nobody would buy it. lakerholic, you won't have any problem with your intake since I was running it on my car up until yesterday with no issues. Like Stacy say's, "you will love the sound".

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
No one has reported any issues with the EVOMS CAI other than joy. Lakerholic, when paired with a top quality muffler setup , you'll love it. Your biggest problem will be unwrapping my overly-obsessive packaging!

The sound of my car over 5k RPM's w/ the Fabspeed was memorable. It positively SCREAMED. Now, with the AH, which I am happy with, I get major attention at under 4k RPM's. But over 5k RPM's, Fabspeed + EVOMS at WOT is unbeatable.

So: yeah, I love my AH pipes, but I miss the banshee scream of the FS + EVOMS over 5k RPM's.
CATTMAN

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
Lakerholic, when paired with a top quality muffler setup , you'll love it. Your biggest problem will be unwrapping my overly-obsessive packaging!

CATTMAN

CATTMAN, he bought some Fabspeed mufflers off of you? He didn't tell me that. That will sound very good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO v-Flow intake installation question