997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Orbital buffer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Orbital buffer

Any info from experienced users on using a decent one on 997's? I see the concours detailers using them all the time but read too often that it's too "rough" for repeated waxing. Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I use Griots Garage Random Orbital....its good enough to get out swirls and some light scratching. I am really happy with their polishes and best of show wax as well. Its also not powerful enough to burn your paint no matter how much you press down or how high you set the speed.

Jason

Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
Check out the detailing forum... tons of info over there.

I use a Porter Cable, have for years, and I love it. Takes some time to find a product that works and a system you like, but when you do the results can be incredible.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Toothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really nice
+1 for the Griot's, love it.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
thanks and thanks and thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Flex XC 3401 VR from Detailers Domain, I believe they are board sponsors. Philip is great if you have questions. The Flex is unique as it is truly orbital and random unlike the Porter Cable which has a random through only, and doesn't actually spin.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
another fan of the griots here - their polishing products are really safe and get the job done, without me having to worry about going too deep - they also have a great detailing manual that is laminated and spiral bound that you can take with you for a review before doing something like running an orbital over your car. I have recommended them to friends with their cars and motorcycles - all of which have come back to thank me and still use the products today.

I think everyone will have their own approach and preferences to products and tools for polishing - just have to use the one that you feel comfortable with. If I was you, before I used an orbital myself, I would have someone who is familiar with one do it with me and show me the ropes the first time, so they can physically show me what to watch for, techniques, etc.

I hope Cattman will chime in here with his detailing preferences..

The thought of damaging my finish and then the cost and hassle of repair is what keeps me from using an straight orbital myself. I find the random orbital like the kind Griots products are made to go with do the job just fine.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 PM
emtrey is infamous around these parts
I used the Porter Cable OB for years. Flex is infinitely better. I use the Menzerna line exclusively. Get a full compliment of pads and use the right one for the right job and you will be fine.

Always try to get the clean up done with the least aggressive pad/polish/speed as necessary. Practice..practice..practice. Try not to learn on the P car.

Just got a 2009 infiniti G37X for my wife. Had some minor marks around the shark fin where they had removed the protection film. Flex 3401 and a yellow pad with some Menzerna IP---gone in 30 seconds.

I love my FLEX.................well worth the addt'l cost if for no other reason than a better motor so much less vibration than the PC. Also, does a better/faster job hands down.

Maximum correction will come from a rotary but that is a steep learning curve and one mistake and you can burn right thru paint. I am not that rowdy. If the FLEX can't do it, a body shop or pro detailer can.

as advised check detailing websites and message boards for hints. Autopia is a good source of info.

Detailers domain are good people. I second that recommendation.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:15 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
I've only used the PC, and it wasnt that hard to use

Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 PM
emtrey is infamous around these parts
The Flex is not difficult to use at all. I was just suggesting someone new to orbital buffing getting some practice in to develop a feel for orbital polishing.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Sorry I'm late!

I've used a Porter Cable 7424 (dual action) polisher for years. I was going to take the plunge and get a DeWalt Rotary or a Flex, but right before I pulled the trigger I tried a different polish (Menzerna Super Intensive Polish) and got the results I wanted.

My cars have all been black, which is the most difficult. I thought for sure, with the damage an ill advised trip to a car wash inflicted, I'd be forced to use a Flex or a Rotary to get the swirls and scratches out. But I was able to do it successfully with my PC, Menzerna SIP, and an Orange pad.

If you can get the job done without going to the rotary, I think you're better off.

The Flex CAN burn paint, and a rotary absolutely can. Tread cautiously if you've not used either before- get a lesson from a seasoned detailer.

The mantra is always: use the least aggressive products and techniques necessary to get the job done. You don't kill a fly with an uzi.

If you've got some time and patience, and the right combination of pads and polishes, a PC is a very versatile tool.

Here a before and after pic of my car, as well as a link to the thread where I detail the process/ steps involved:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ur-detail.html

CATTMAN

Attached Images    
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I use the Griots with much sucess with Mezerna products.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Flex has more cut than PC or Griot's...I had all three, and now use the Flex. It basically saves a lot of time. Menzerna PO85RD, blue or white pad, Flex on a black car, and you are pretty set.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Flex has more cut than PC or Griot's...I had all three, and now use the Flex. It basically saves a lot of time. Menzerna PO85RD, blue or white pad, Flex on a black car, and you are pretty set.
ive always had a detailer do my car and then just maintain by Hand waxing. Can a novice but fussy user start off with the Flex. I would hate to buy a PC and find out I really wanted a Flex.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM
997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice
I switched over from porter cable to FLEX. Pretty easy machine to use. I'm sure you can burn paint but it'll be pretty hard. FLEX has much more power and saves you alot of time. I would purchase FLEX first if I had a choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.