997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

X51 intake AKA engine art

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alicata
I agree - I would like to do that and the X-51 headers. Probably difficult to answer, but about how much could I expect labor to be to install? I have a feeling my dealer might be reluctant to do it. I'm not much of a DIY'er, but I would be willing to help (hinder) a friend who can do this sort of thing. Depending on how much trouble I am, I would know how much hazardous duty pay to offer him.
Not a clue how much labor would be. Obviously the dealer would be the most pricey place to have anything installed. I do most of my own work on my car and could definitely talk somebody through the install.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Nice. Did you install the aerokit also or was it OEM? Are you going to buy/get the black piece for the left side of aero lid?

My car is a factory X51 car and I wondered about how the aero lid works with the dual snorkels.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996toomey
Nice. Did you install the aerokit also or was it OEM? Are you going to buy/get the black piece for the left side of aero lid?

My car is a factory X51 car and I wondered about how the aero lid works with the dual snorkels.

It's came from the factory with the aerokit. The left side of the decklid is actually already pre-molded to fit the the intake tube / snorkel. It has the same opening and tilt as the sealing plate on the right side. Therefore the sealing plate won't fit and is not needed. The aerokit decklid needs to be cut on the right side to adapt the sealing plate. It is pretty simple to do since the aerokit decklid is fiberglass.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Ok, Thanks. I am in SO CAL also if I buy an aerokit will you do the mod?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by 996toomey
Ok, Thanks. I am in SO CAL also if I buy an aerokit will you do the mod?
I will help

Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
To install the X51 airbox itself is done in 30 minutes at most. The job is to install the oil extension hose and to cut the decklid nice. Don't forget the extension cable to the MAF, if not the wiring will be very thight.

Suncoast sells a complet package for a good price.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by frafoss
To install the X51 airbox itself is done in 30 minutes at most. The job is to install the oil extension hose and to cut the decklid nice. Don't forget the extension cable to the MAF, if not the wiring will be very thight.

Suncoast sells a complet package for a good price.
What do you use to cut the decklid? I'm a newbie so sorry if it's a dumb question.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
Will check if I find a template for cutting.

Edit. I found it. Send me a PM with email and I send you complete workshop manual for X51 powerkit.

Last edited by frafoss; 01-26-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
What do you use to cut the decklid? I'm a newbie so sorry if it's a dumb question.
I started with a hole saw then followed the outline of the template with a carborundum disk attached to my air driven grinder. But you could us a Dremel.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Looks great, I also put the X51 intake in mine along with the X51 T-body, manifolds, and plenum.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Matt,

Nice job on the DIY....

Have you noticed any difference in idle characteristics ? I've read the X51 box may cause a rougher idle.....curious of your experience ?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Matt,

Nice job on the DIY....

Have you noticed any difference in idle characteristics ? I've read the X51 box may cause a rougher idle.....curious of your experience ?
Thanks!

My car had a slight rough idle to begin with (I think most do) and with the airbox it might be a tad more pronounced, but I don't really notice it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
Looks great, I also put the X51 intake in mine along with the X51 T-body, manifolds, and plenum.
Just curious, how much are those other parts aside from the X51 airbox and is that all that needs to be changed for the intake to be totally the same as an OEM X51?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
Just curious, how much are those other parts aside from the X51 airbox and is that all that needs to be changed for the intake to be totally the same as an OEM X51?
The full X51 kit has different airbox, throttle body, aluminum intake manifold, cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, PSE unless you have it already, center radiator kit, new rear underbody panel and ECU reprogramming.