997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

FWIW, new build dates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
DPorcella@sbcgl is infamous around these parts
Unhappy FWIW, new build dates

For any of you out there waiting for delivery, my custom 997.2 build date got bumped from the "February printout" date of March 23 to the "March printout" date of April 7.

I don't know what that means to all of you awaiting delivery, the ways of Porsche are mysterious, but I do know that every month my completion date recedes further into the future (without my having made any new changes).

Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Ordered my C4S on January 2. The dealer Order Status Report has my "BUILD" date as March 23 and "COMPLETION" date as April 8. The Order Status Report has not changed as of yesterday.
Are you saying your "Build" date has changed? You mention the two different dates "Build" & "Completion" in your post.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
My sales person has been using the terms interchangeably, which you suggest they aren't. I'm ignorant of the usages here.

One of the techs who spent some time at the factory in Zuffenhausen told me that on some given date, they put any given car together in about 50 minutes, after, of course, all the components have been previously fabricated, including, of course, the engine built by a single guy, the upholstery sewn onto the seats, etc.

I've been assuming that's the "build date". If you can clarify it for me I'd be grateful. It sounds like your car and mine are on the same schedule.

Today was TOTALLY convertible weather in my town; it looked like everyone who owns a motorcycle took the afternoon off for the first big ride of the season, which is how I know it's time to start driving the cabrio!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Ahh, I remember going through this...it's both exciting and excruciating. My car actually got bumped up...but took forever at the dock to be shipped.

Dave

Old 03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Dave: thanks for the commiseration!
-Dave

Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DPorcella@sbcgl
Dave: thanks for the commiseration!
-Dave

Just trying to empathize

I got my car from Chris @ N. Olmsted in Ohio. The car arrived at the dealer and then it was 10 days to be shipped out to Los Angeles. When it arrived I had to pinch myself a couple of times staring at that SY beauty being driven off of the car transport.

Dave

Old 03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
If they bump you again see what you can do by adding another option to delay production; another 6 weeks and you'll have a 2010 model which will be identical - a couple more grand now will be worth triple when you get ready to unload it.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
Cars are the most expensive consumer goods available. High Supply and little demand for such products weakend the price.
(BMW: 90% drop in sales)

It would make a good case for Porsche to limit supply and warrant their premium.

Cutting costs sharp by shutting down plants for weeks/months has been a popular measure in the car industry lately.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tejoe
another 6 weeks and you'll have a 2010 model which will be identical
I went through this last year with the FL. I offered to wait and they said the 09 would not be here until October. If I remember correctly, the C4S's were not announced until October with USA delivery in December.
My dealer has no idea when the 10's will be shipped to the U.S. There is the Panamera, GT3 being released in the next six months and he feels the 10's will be later than normal.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
My C2S Cab had an original completion date of 3/17 and was bumped to 3/23. It went from PLPROD to PRDBDY on 3/11 and this morning the dealer e-mailed me and the status is PRDPNT so the 3/23 completion seems reasonable. I ordered a number of exclusive items as well, but no PSE which I'm told has held up a few orders. There is no specific "build" date provided that I'm aware of. The cars go from PLPROD (planned production) into the production line at the body shop (PRDBDY) then onto paint (PRDPNT) and then onto vehicle assembly. I believe the whole process takes roughly a week. The completion date is CMPRD (completed production). Then there are checkpoints and invoicing status followed by ONVESL. Catching the boat quickly is key and unfortunately, random luck. Porsche.com has a virtual factory tour which shows the steps involved.

Last edited by DaveC; 03-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey, I really liked the virtual factory tour!