997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do black exhaust tips indicate anything bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Sub
Sub is infamous around these parts
Do black exhaust tips indicate anything bad?

This is a car I'm looking at. See how the tips are black? I saw dripping when the car was started. Is this normal? Is it an oil burner?!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Most of these cars to my knowledge do run a bit rich(black) according to our local dealer...the dripping is just condensation.Every car will drip upon start up in colder climate!

Stacy

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Mine look like that, except the tips have changed to the same rainbow colours that motorcycle pipes have.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
aintpatricksday is infamous around these parts
My car hasn't used a drop of oil in the 18000 miles I've had it; yet there is soot on the exhaust tips. I think it is mostly from running rich during warm up and short trips.
PB

Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the dripping is water from the cats...perfectly normal...black tips..hard to say cuz exhaust soot is also normal...if it doesn't smoke it probably is not burning oil...if you start the car when cold and shut it off quickly the next time you start it...there could be some smoke...if it is warm when you shut it off there should not be any smoke the next time you start it...

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
snakebite52 is infamous around these parts
oil burning is blue smoke.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Also, if you're losing oil because of engine problem you may have similar oil build up in the engine compartment ask me how I know. What you have in the picture appears normal soot build-up.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Sub
Sub is infamous around these parts
I reached down when no one was looking and stuck my finger in the fluid collecting at the base of the pipe for a feel to see if it was oily. It didn't feel oily. So (and I'm not sure what possessed me to do this) I decided to have a taste to see if I could tell if it was soot or just water. I felt like an experienced archeologist who can, by tasting, tell how old a piece of pottery is. After sticking my finger in my mouth I quickly realized I didn't know what soot tasted like because I had no frame of reference for soot. This was not one of my brighter moments because now I had a mouth full of sooty water and the smartly dressed salesman was coming back over. Do I spit? Did I have a tissue in my pocket? Did he see me fiddling my finger into his car's tailpipe and tasting it? Do I do the unthinkable and.. gulp?

I pretended to cough, leaned back and over and spit it out behind me. I don't think the salesman noticed, but I did have a pretty terrible taste in my mouth for the test drive. Let this be a valuable lesson to you all!

Awesome replies. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Sub; 03-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
That's pretty funny. If the salesman noticed that, he might not have let you test drive the car.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
These cars run rich especially the new 2009 Carrera S. My tips get a black velvety sooty look all over them and some on the rear of the car.

I wonder is a freeer flowing intake to allow more more into the engine would clear up this sooting isue on the 2009 C2S?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Give us some details on the car!

Nick

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
BTw, that soot is loaded with benzo alpha pyrene, anthracene and other pyrolosis products. All are serious carcinogens. I would not do that too many times, since the oral mucosa allow instant passage to the blood stream. I would ask the salesman to taste it..

Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Be advised, sticking your finger in another man's tailpipe and then sticking it in your mouth to taste it usually only happens in prison. I would be careful if I were you.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
On my 2007 Carrera S after I did the Softronic ECU upgrade flash the tail pipe soot mostly went away. The ECU flash probably was running the engine more leaner. Porsche tunes the cars to run rich to save the engine in case of low grade.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sub
I reached down when no one was looking and stuck my finger in the fluid collecting at the base of the pipe for a feel to see if it was oily. It didn't feel oily. So (and I'm not sure what possessed me to do this) I decided to have a taste to see if I could tell if it was soot or just water. I felt like an experienced archeologist who can, by tasting, tell how old a piece of pottery is. After sticking my finger in my mouth I quickly realized I didn't know what soot tasted like because I had no frame of reference for soot. This was not one of my brighter moments because now I had a mouth full of sooty water and the smartly dressed salesman was coming back over. Do I spit? Did I have a tissue in my pocket? Did he see me fiddling my finger into his car's tailpipe and tasting it? Do I do the unthinkable and.. gulp?

I pretended to cough, leaned back and over and spit it out behind me. I don't think the salesman noticed, but I did have a pretty terrible taste in my mouth for the test drive. Let this be a valuable lesson to you all!

Awesome replies. Thanks guys.
I hope this behavior does not carry over into your dating experiences Those pipes look fine. Go for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do black exhaust tips indicate anything bad?