997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Plate Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Front Plate Issues

So I got nailed for speeding and got a nice 97mph in a 65mph ticket. Well that was one headache but to make things worse, the cop cited me for no front plates and added a fix it ticket to his list (on top of a warning for my tint too dark). So I had previously installed bumperplugs and closed the holes on my front bumper but I can't just pull them off and install the front plates with the bracket I took off because to install the bumper plugs required my to bore the holes out larger and now the original screws won't fit. So my question is how can I reinstall my front plate for the fix it ticket with the original bracket or should I go with a bracketless front plate mount that I know I have seen before that do not require drilling into the bumper? Anyone know where I can get these and how much they are?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
emthree is infamous around these parts
Double sided tape for a temp fix.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by emthree
Double sided tape for a temp fix.
Double sided tape would be way too obvious that it was a temp fix if I bring it into the police station to get the ticket signed off. I did think about that but I'm sure they are smarter than that....

Jon

Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
JCS sells a kit that will bolt into your front bumper tow hook hole.

Do an advance search for posts by JCS, second thread down in the list.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
My friend just got a ticket for the same thing.
"The ‘NO HOLES’ kit mounts the front license plate utilizing the front tow hook attachment point. The kit comes complete with all mounting hardware,
including the screws to affix the license plate to the bracket. The bracket allows for the mounting of normal size US License plates, Rallye Plates and European style plates."

He bought one and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by Lockie; 03-15-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i did the double sided tape and it worked.

you can put double sided tape on the holes and then put the front plate mount screws in. it should hold it in.

i thought 997 do not have holes pre-drilled though... dont know why you enlarged the bumper plug to begin with. oh well.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM
dchou1107 is infamous around these parts
damn that sucks, i also got 3 tix in the past month in so.cal. Our state is short on cash and they are busting people for everything they can

Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
i did the double sided tape and it worked.

you can put double sided tape on the holes and then put the front plate mount screws in. it should hold it in.

i thought 997 do not have holes pre-drilled though... dont know why you enlarged the bumper plug to begin with. oh well.

I bought my car used and it had front plates with a bracket already. So the holes were already there but they are smaller screws to mount the bracket. To use the bumper plugs, I had to drill out the screw holes to I think 1/4" or 3/8" to push in the plugs. It is required to install the bumper plugs.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by dchou1107
damn that sucks, i also got 3 tix in the past month in so.cal. Our state is short on cash and they are busting people for everything they can
Wow 3 tix?? For what? Thanks I don't feel so bad now!! I am going to try and fight my speeding ticket since I was over the limit for traffic school. I heard a written declaration is the best way. If that fails, you can always go to a face to face trail. Check this site out http://www.ticketassassin.com/

Some good info on getting out of tickets or at least increasing your odds. I know they need the money but he would not even drop the speed to help me out so I can go to traffic school. I had no other tickets on my record either. CHP on the 241 toll road of course!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 AM
dchou1107 is infamous around these parts
we have similar pcars. same yr, color, and c2. One tix was for rolling stop in pasadena, one tix for speeding 85 on a sunday morning at 7AM, and a 3rd is for window tint. Window tint is a headache because i need to find someone to sign off the tix. I am also fighting every ticket using trial by declaration and hoping to go to traffic school for one that I lose. My first tix in about 5-6 years

Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
BruceWonder is infamous around these parts
3m double sided tape should do the trick

Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my tow-hook mount from these folks. Very nice people.
http://www.moweraxle.com/homepage.html

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
+1 on tow hook license mount. Just got one. My TT had no front license plate holes in the bumper. My 997S did. ???

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Are you sure it's a 'fix it ticket'? Is there an inspection & sign off indicated? A lot of cities in So Cal are simply issuing 'pay a fine' ticket(s) for infractions like license plate, window tinting, etc. They really don't care if you fix it or not since your infraction will be a constant revenue source every time you're stopped.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Jon sorry for your ticket..just be happy he didn't cite you for over 100mph, you could have been posting this from jail for a reckless driving ticket.

I got pulled over the other day for talking on my cell phone as I left my BT headset at home (I was actually at a light when I was talking). He issued me the ticket ($98.00) but he didn't cite me for not having a front license plate nor a rear plate. He told me he understood why I didn't have plates on the car to keep me from having to put on a front plate..some cops are cool. I think the issue is the fact you were doing 97+mph and this policeman just wanted to make sure you remember this ticket.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Plate Issues