997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
What if you went w/ Eibach or TechArt (same thing I believe) and it only lowered your car .75" would you have kept the springs since it wouldn't scrap as much as the 1.25" on the H&R's?
I guess there would be less scraping if there is indeed a difference in ride height. Maybe the Techarts (i.e. Eibachs) are less "bouncy" than the H&R's. Not sure which are linear and which are progressive.

Originally Posted by babymd
CO's is the way to go, the difference is night and day, I had them installed on my c4s and love the performance improvement, and I can dial it down for a softer ride, no complaints...lowered to German standard.
I agree. You don't know what you don't know if all you have is to base your experience on springs alone. I have had both and the bilsteins are not just a minor improvement over springs, they are a major improvement. That being said, springs do provide some handling improvement, I just think there is too much sacrifice in ride comfort.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I guess there would be less scraping if there is indeed a difference in ride height. Maybe the Techarts (i.e. Eibachs) are less "bouncy" than the H&R's. Not sure which are linear and which are progressive.

I agree. You don't know what you don't know if all you have is to base your experience on springs alone. I have had both and the bilsteins are not just a minor improvement over springs, they are a major improvement. That being said, springs do provide some handling improvement, I just think there is too much sacrifice in ride comfort.
Thanks for all your feedback. Based on all the feedback I am not going to put springs on and will just get an exhaust. Now what exhaust to get....hmmmmm.....

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
I went with tubi from champion and get raves all the time, for me that was a good choice. In my 05', I had the tubi without the carbon fiber airbox, in my 07', I did both mods at the same time and did notice a significant difference and the car appears to open up to the air flow better. This is noticed most significantly when I activate the sport mode. Dreat mods!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Banned
Justin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really nice
If you can afford it, going with a set of coil overs is the best way. They're leagues better than a spring replacement. If that's not in the cards, the TechArt springs are a great choice. It's a progressive-rate spring that is built by Eibach to TechArt specs. it will lower the ride height about 3/4 - 1 inch. I've driven several cars with these springs installed (997 Turbo, 997S, Cayman S etc.) and the ride quality is very close to stock. The progressive rate allows you the benefit of a stiffer spring rate when you push it harder in the corners.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
i'm going with the techart springs for now, hope to get them installed in the next few weeks. anyone else have any more good words on those springs, it would make me not second guess my decision. at the very least i need to get rid of the wheel gap on my c46, it looks like a 4x4 now...

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned
Justin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really nice
Let me know if you need to order a set. I have them in stock ready to ship.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Justin...

Can you elaborate how the Techart Springs are different from the Eibachs ?

I've seen a set of Techart Springs and it had the same part number stamp on it as the Eibachs----that being...7217-140. (for the 05-08 997/S)

Are there any material changes in either ride height or spring rates ?

Last edited by HATTRICK; 03-18-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
haha hattrick, that is a heck of a question!

same # stamped on both sets???? wow...

i suppose the the answer could be that they both use the same 'raw' springs, and are treated/tweeked/post-manufactured differently...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned
That's correct. TechArt has them built to a predetermined spring rate based on their R&D. It's similar to the TechArt coil overs. They are built by Bilstein, but TechArt's specs are exclusive to the coil overs sold under the TechArt name. So even if you had a set of Eibach springs (or Bilstein coil overs), the dynamics of the parts differ from the TechArt set. It all goes back to the saying "you get what you pay for". The TechArt parts might be more expensive than the manufacturer's counter part, but the TechArt equipment has been honed to perfection.