997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Lowering Springs

Hi All,

I want to lower my C2 997 non-S. I have 19's on right now but hate the gap in the wheel wells. I was looking at previous posts and there was alot of debate about lowering a car by just replacing the springs and keeping the stock shocks. I read that this would basically destroy the stock shocks and is not advised. Why do so many people just slap on lowering springs all the time? I know there are better options out there like coilovers or the adjustable bilsteins but I don't want to spend $2-3K on lowering. What do you guys recommend? Also how will lowering improve/reduce driveability and handling with just springs and how low is recommended from stock height?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by jabed92694; 03-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My Techart springs were fine but they are NOT damptronics . So you'll save a few dollars but want the better system . Why not just keep it stock until you can pick up the Bilsteins?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My Techart springs were fine but they are NOT damptronics . So you'll save a few dollars but want the better system . Why not just keep it stock until you can pick up the Bilsteins?

That's exactly what I was considering, the Techart springs. I know they are not the bilsteins but I can't justify spending 2-3K on lowering when I have other mods to do. What wrong with just springs as you did? Does your car handle/ride better?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jabed92694
That's exactly what I was considering, the Techart springs. I know they are not the bilsteins but I can't justify spending 2-3K on lowering when I have other mods to do. What wrong with just springs as you did? Does your car handle/ride better?
The Techart springs were great . It's just that the price plus installation isn't exactly cheap . The height is ideal --at least on the Turbo it was. 3/4 in lower , firm and planted but not uncomfortable . sport mode was a bit hard but not too bad .

The Bilsteins I like more because beyond the ability to dial in settings it has just enough flex to absorb the stress on the tires but not so much that the car feels floaty .

Pics -
Side by side -Techart spring next to Bilstein
Installation pics .

Attached Images     

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-17-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I had springs at one point and quickly switched to the bilsteins as well. I noticed a more dramatic front end "bounce" with the springs. Plus I did not like the fact that I could not adjust the ride height. I have the aerokit and the H&R's I had made it a pain to avoid scraping the front lip on just about everything.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I see you have a C2, does it have PASM? If not then you can use PSS9/10's, JIC Cross, and a few other CO's.

The cost to install is the same, the difference is in the cost of the parts. As the others have said, get the CO's, I had Techart Springs and went to the CO's, should never have bought the springs. Save your money and do it right the first time.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
rricardo is a jewel in the roughrricardo is a jewel in the roughrricardo is a jewel in the rough
How is the ride with CO springs? Compared to stock? Also could you ballpark a cost installed for the CO's
I do not like the look of my C2S with the 19's at stock height in the rear.
Thanks,
Ricardo

Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sometimes you can find decent deals on the Damptronics, like around $2400 +/- new. I believe installation is around $700, and alignment around $250. Corner balance isn't mandatory, but if you want to do that, I believe it is another $200 or so.

Jabed: Since we're both in OC, perhaps we can find a deal for both of us to get Damptronics installed.
Oops, forgot, you don't likely have PASM, so would need the PSS9 or PSS10's.

Last edited by keninirvine; 03-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I had springs at one point and quickly switched to the bilsteins as well. I noticed a more dramatic front end "bounce" with the springs. Plus I did not like the fact that I could not adjust the ride height. I have the aerokit and the H&R's I had made it a pain to avoid scraping the front lip on just about everything.
What if you went w/ Eibach or TechArt (same thing I believe) and it only lowered your car .75" would you have kept the springs since it wouldn't scrap as much as the 1.25" on the H&R's?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
For what it's worth - I installed springs... eibachs to be exact. No complaints. I have noticed neither bounciness nor detrimental handling.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by strife_wy
For what it's worth - I installed springs... eibachs to be exact. No complaints. I have noticed neither bounciness nor detrimental handling.
What was the total drop front/rear with these ? Any pics to show final ride height ?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Total drop f/r is 1" from C2 height. I am very pleased with the new ride height and even with an aerokit lip, I encounter minimal scraping.

I don't have pics right now but I can take some on the weekend and post.

The Eibachs, based on a call to their customer service line, have progressive spring rates.... the initial rate is matched to the stock dampeners, which is why there should be (in theory) neither bounciness nor premature wear to the shocks. My practical experience with the springs based on 6 months of ownership has thus far supported this theory.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
This what I've been told about the Eibach springs. Also I think the drop is .75" but I could be wrong. I almost bought a set of these based on good reviews but got scared after so many people said CO's are the way to go.

Based on the mixed reviews, I still feel that for street use that springs will suffice.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
BruceWonder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
This what I've been told about the Eibach springs. Also I think the drop is .75" but I could be wrong. I almost bought a set of these based on good reviews but got scared after so many people said CO's are the way to go.

Based on the mixed reviews, I still feel that for street use that springs will suffice.
Agree, if your car is a DD and your not **** about having the best thing for your prosche go with springs. But if you have extra $$$ then go with CO since the install will be the same price.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
CO's is the way to go, the difference is night and day, I had them installed on my c4s and love the performance improvement, and I can dial it down for a softer ride, no complaints...lowered to German standard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs