997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 Carrera S Exhaust Soot Problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Sharky, it is 93 octane down here in Florida...all over the south east it is 93 octane. I had the soot before I removed the stock exhaust...PLEASE understand that...my stock mufflers are full of soot.

A 09 car with stock exhaust will see some soot, more than a 05-08 car but the stock restrictive muffler contain the soot from traveling out the exhaust tips....when I removed the restrictive side mufflers I saw more soot only because the exhaust flow was not as restricted...make sence?

I was told by Porsche and the dealer that the stock ECU will adapt to the simple exhaust mod I did and should not be a cause of the car running so rich it produced soot.

I do not know what else to tell you all...Porsche is ignoring this issue with zero explanation....what do I do next Lemon Law the car?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by babymd
Mike I can feel your frustartion, with my 05' I had to take it to the dealer three times before I asked for the shop manager, he took care of me after I expressed my concern, and I don't know if you read a thread I wrote on saying the cylinders ended up not being completely round but off the mark by a few mm, and porsche ended up replacing the entire engine out. I would go back and have them do the compression check again, you should not be eating that much oil, after they changed out my engine, I put another 16k miles on it and didn't need a drop of oil. my current 07 has been to the track twice and no oil needed thus far, it's my daily driver, and I have yet to see more than 18.5 mpg.....
I understand but your 07 engine and ECU is different than my 09...totally differnet ECU, fuel injection and tuning. My 07 did not soot or burn oil either....this is not a general Carrera 2005-08 issue this is a 2009 Carrera DFI and ECU tuning issue.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Sharky, it is 93 octane down here in Florida...all over the south east it is 93 octane. I had the soot before I removed the stock exhaust...PLEASE understand that...my stock mufflers are full of soot.

A 09 car with stock exhaust will see some soot, more than a 05-08 car but the stock restrictive muffler contain the soot from traveling out the exhaust tips....when I removed the restrictive side mufflers I saw more soot only because the exhaust flow was not as restricted...make sence?

I was told by Porsche and the dealer that the stock ECU will adapt to the simple exhaust mod I did and should not be a cause of the car running so rich it produced soot.

I do not know what else to tell you all...Porsche is ignoring this issue with zero explanation....what do I do next Lemon Law the car?
Hey Mike, oh man now I see what you're saying.. So it was already doing that ever when you had the stock exhaust stuff too. OK then something doesn't seem right then. Can you try another dealership and start over? I'm guessing with these cars being so new etc... dealerships have little to go by. I mean they've not sold all that many cars yet so...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Mike -had trouble quoting your post.

How many miles are on your car? At what point did you begin documentation ?

On the Turbo forum there were two people who faced issues with a brand new car . One chose the route of negotiating with the dealership on a trade in where both parties hedged the loss and resolved it fast . The other rejected anything else but a new car to replace it and he claimed that after months , stress , and perserverence he was able to get one.

This may not be an isolated example as others have posted the same complaint on this thread . Plus I know that PDK is set for your driving needs .

Weighing all the factors I don't know what i would do in your position because an 08, a Turbo , a Gt3 have no PDK and even if you go the full distance what if you get another soot car ?

What are your thoughts ?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Maybe you need a second opinion . You up for a road trip?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Mike -had trouble quoting your post.

How many miles are on your car? At what point did you begin documentation ?

On the Turbo forum there were two people who faced issues with a brand new car . One chose the route of negotiating with the dealership on a trade in where both parties hedged the loss and resolved it fast . The other rejected anything else but a new car to replace it and he claimed that after months , stress , and perserverence he was able to get one.

This may not be an isolated example as others have posted the same complaint on this thread . Plus I know that PDK is set for your driving needs .

Weighing all the factors I don't know what i would do in your position because an 08, a Turbo , a Gt3 have no PDK and even if you go the full distance what if you get another soot car ?

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks for your interest and concern...seriously thanks!

I have 5200 miles on the car. I started noticing the soot issue at around 1500 or so miles. I put a bunch on miles on right away because I had a upcoming DE, but I never ended up going to it. I drove the car for 2.5 weeks before I washed it at 1500 miles and noticed the soot. I put on the Fabspeed Side Muffler By Pass pipes at around 3000 or so miles. I did an oil change at 2800 miles. I was burning oil like crazy then.
I spoke with my dealer and told them what was going on and showed them the car for the 1st time at 3900 miles. They took the car in to do a compression check, take the exhaust off and scope the exhaust valves, change the spark plugs and they did another oil change on the car. The car had 4500 miles at that time. they told me to drive it 500 miles and check the oil and if it burnt a quart to call them. I drove it 500 miles and it burnt 1 line down on the oil level reading which is close to .4 of a quart. The dealer and PCNA said it is in spec and they gave me the typical BS about it is ok for it to burn up to 1 qt for every 600 miles. Oil consuption is a little bit better now but it is still burning oil and I would guess at around every 1400 miles I have to add a quart which to me seems excessive. Between Friday and Sunday I will put on another 500 miles going back and forth to the Sebring race and driving around on Sunday.
I do not want a brand new car. iI ordered this car just how i wanted it. I do not want to go through waiting for another car...unless Porsche builds me the exact car I have, tests it out and it does not burn oil or soot up the rear of the car and my garage floor.

I am always up for a road trip...I travel for my job so a road trip is no big deal. What do you have in mind?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I pm'd info on two local dealerships in my area . I read your post but I can not even begin to figure out the technical problems but it is great that you can clearly explain them .
I understand that you want this car fixed and that it is the way things should go. The two posters I mentioned had drawn a line when a new motor was offered . One car only had 180 miles . The other faced warranty issues when the Porsche reps looked at the mods . That dealership agreed with the customer but PCNA disagreed with both and rejected the repair . The dealership worked with him on a trade.

In your case -I think a second opinion is the route to get answers and determine to what lengths you are ready to go to fix this .

I gave you some names and numbers . They are good people and knowledgeable too and I am sure they will do their best to help you . You'll have some answers hopefully but thry have to see the car and hear the specifics .

I hope to see you if you make it to my area . Late afternoon I am usually nearby .

Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
good luck, I've been fighting oil consumption on my car with the dealer, the gm and PCNA for over 2 years now. I'm at 1qt / 700 miles, and have gotten zero satisfaction from the dealer. Best they can do is take my car in as a trade for a crappy price.

One thing to not do, is go posting all over about it - as PCNA reads these boards. I had a compression and leakdown test scheduled that was cancelled suspiciously, and I then was asked if I was Gundo and had been posting and gathering survey data on Rennlist...

Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Gundo -
He has a new car . It's understandable that he's frustrated , dissapointed and upset -- plus he's a bought other Porsches which make him a valued customer .

What if he can get it fixed ? What if it's not the car or PCNA that the problem ? What if his technicians tried and simply can't find it?

Also -look at the possibility of a positive outcome where its fixed and he posts how happy he is . That is how a new car owner ought to feel .

Plus --several other posters mentions this same problem .

I think a few video clips of soot would show a lot though because a picture shows what words can not.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I do not think me posting and talking with other owners about my soot problem is going to hurt my outcome with my dealer or Porsche with getting this fixed. I posted about this after I tried the dealer and PCNA route. My dealer did not give up on this yet plusyrralis1 has put me intouch with his dealer too.

I have a lot of drivin gto do going from Tampa to Sebring this weekend for the 12 Sebring race. I have a Porsche connection I will try to use and speak with a Porsche engineer and I will be in the Porsche Corral too and hope to speak with some Porsche people.

I will take pictures of the exhaust soot after my weekend trip and post them here if you all think that will help. I think it will help because that way we can compare our soot issues...and if PCNA see's this post and wants to contact me and speak with me all the better. I do not think PCNA has some guy that lurks on these board to see what we say about Porsche.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
jfr0317 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
I do not think me posting and talking with other owners about my soot problem is going to hurt my outcome with my dealer or Porsche with getting this fixed. I posted about this after I tried the dealer and PCNA route. My dealer did not give up on this yet plusyrralis1 has put me intouch with his dealer too.

I have a lot of drivin gto do going from Tampa to Sebring this weekend for the 12 Sebring race. I have a Porsche connection I will try to use and speak with a Porsche engineer and I will be in the Porsche Corral too and hope to speak with some Porsche people.

I will take pictures of the exhaust soot after my weekend trip and post them here if you all think that will help. I think it will help because that way we can compare our soot issues...and if PCNA see's this post and wants to contact me and speak with me all the better. I do not think PCNA has some guy that lurks on these board to see what we say about Porsche.
I think you now have a very solid plan. Please let us know what the Porsche folks at Sebring have to say.

Also, don't let this get in the way of having a great time at Sebring! That should be great!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
W4DX is infamous around these parts
I have a C2 2009 with about 6000 miles on it right now. I voiced concern about oil consumption to dealer and with Porsche( 800 number) when I was @ around 4000mile on the speedometer then and used so far 4 quarts of oil ( I was basing this on my previous experience ith 08 Cayman which I have not used a single drop of oil @ 10800 miles prior to trading it in) So,,, they did an oil consumption test and documented 1 quart @ 950 miles ( mileage @ 4700mile when they started measuring it.) Conclusion was it is still within spec from Porsche which is 1 quart per 1000 Km.

My 09 C2 is stock with no mods and soot is very obvious after just 1 week from car wash.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by W4DX
I have a C2 2009 with about 6000 miles on it right now. I voiced concern about oil consumption to dealer and with Porsche( 800 number) when I was @ around 4000mile on the speedometer then and used so far 4 quarts of oil ( I was basing this on my previous experience ith 08 Cayman which I have not used a single drop of oil @ 10800 miles prior to trading it in) So,,, they did an oil consumption test and documented 1 quart @ 950 miles ( mileage @ 4700mile when they started measuring it.) Conclusion was it is still within spec from Porsche which is 1 quart per 1000 Km.

My 09 C2 is stock with no mods and soot is very obvious after just 1 week from car wash.
Thanks for posting your experiance on here about this...and welcome to 6speed too. Where in Florida are you located? I am in the Tampa area...
Mike

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys and particularly mdrums. This is very interesting to me and I am very curious to see how this plays out as I eventually would like to pull the trigger on a 997 with DFI down the road. you guys are benefiting the Porsche community here discussing this issue and the follow up. Thanks for helping the rest of us as we live vicariously through you guys on this issue.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
this just started happening to me...any update?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Carrera S Exhaust Soot Problem!