997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 Carrera S Exhaust Soot Problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I am bringing back this thread since my car, 09 C2S PDK has been producing a ton of black soot and now I am noticing it on the garage floor. I am wondering whatever happened to this issue and are others having the same problem? My car has now 7100 miles. It had the muffler weld fix and I am going to call the dealer for an appointment about the TSB dash rattle and oil change. BTW, I am consuming about 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. Should I take pictures to document the soot on the garage floor???

Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I have black pipe tips and sometimes soot on the garage floor as well. Just had my oil changed for first year annual service. Asked the dealer about this once again. Said absolutely normal, quart per 1,500 is normal (his number not mine as mine is a little more frequent but far less than my former M5). The only consolation is that the tips go well with my car color.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I think I am starting to see more soot than when the car was new - I only have 3400 miles on it though. Exhaust tips are getting pretty dark these days - although washing intervals in the Winter have also become extended.

I'll have to see how it goes in the Spring.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
MidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the rough
My 09 S has had the soot problem from day one. Its a cream white car so its really noticeable on the bumper around the exhausts. Dealers ( 2 of them) swear its normal for the 09s. My mileage is good (22-24 MPG in normal driving and as high as 29 on one 600 mile trip) but the car eats oil. Seems to go through roughly a quart for every 1000 miles. I have a feeling it is the oil (burning??) and not a rich mixture that is causing the soot problem.

Maybe this is how Porsche plans to cut their CO2 emissions for the upcoming EU laws. Turn the carbon into soot instead of CO2. Now, if they could increase the compression enough to have it kick out diamonds that would be real progress

Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
although I have 06' C4S, I am burning through alot of oil...its blk so hard to tell regarding soot issue...when i used the car as DD I was burning through a quart a 1000 miles...now that I use it for weekends only and have sport mode on all the time with PSE, I am going through a quart every 500-700 miles...should I take the car in???...or a waste of time as they will just says it normal.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
The oil burning became an issue for me from day one but now the soot seems to be even more relevant. I had not driven the car much as the HPFP failed on me at 4K. Once I got it back 2 weeks later, I have been out of town and now I am going on vacation out of the country for another week.
I should get more seat time upon my return and will monitor the soot issue closely.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Are there any updates or newer posts on the soot that the 09s and Up DFI cars put out. My 09 uses no oil but the tips are pretty black and after a 200 mile run today I did notice some black on my rear bumper. Looked a little more than normal. My car is stock with 11K miles. Something I observed was that it was 17 F degrees today when I left and I m wondering if the consensation from inside the exhaust pushed out a bit more soot with the moisture causing a dirtier rear . ????
Not really in the mood to talk to the dealer after reading the posts. Car runs fine.

Edit/ After more reading(RENNLIST) it appears idle time and lack of RPM s may not be helping. I realized that the last time the car was used (about a week ago) I had left it outside running about 20 mins and put it away a few miles after that. Porsche has to come up with a way to limit this issue for the sake of longevity as I can t imagine the engine internals being subjected to this buildup is good.

Last edited by cerbomark; 11-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
TTalking about being 'green', my C4S has black tailpipes --- all the time. I just finished my smog test last week. Surprisingly, here are my numbers:

IDLE..................
HC(ppm)
Max 100
Ave 17
Meas 0 (zero)

CO
Max 1.0
Ave 0.00
Meas 0.00 (zero)

2500 RPM
HC
Max 130
Ave 12
Meas 6

CO
Max 1.00
Ave 0.10
Meas 0.00

I am not a smog mechanic, but my uneducated guess is that my tailpipe being black is normal.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
From what I have read, the soot is the result of direct injection. It is the same cause as in Diesel engines. The injected fuel has less time to mix with air and some of the droplets hit the piston before being vaporized. The combustion of these droplets is different from those that combust in the middle of the combustion chamber.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mdrums
My 2009 Carrera S is a soot factory...it is really unbelieveable how much soot is on the inside and outside exhaust tips and rear bumper of the car after a week of driving. I have not said much on the forums until now.
Are you using coal instead of fuel?
Seriously, I am with you as my 2006 exhaust get covered with soot quite rapidly. Fortunately, it is not to the extent you are describing.

Yves

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Offtopic: What is the average oil consumption you guys see?

With my 996tt I had to add 1q every 1000miles or even 2q if I was really milking it.

I just crossed 5k miles on my 997 C2S since last service and I still have as much oil as I started with acording to BC.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I probably need about a quart every 2,000 miles. It is not too bad, but is not fantastic either. I guess, all the flat engines have similar issues.

Yves

Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
My car does not consume oil. I think this has been discussed so many times before. Sme just do some dont. But one thing is for sure there is soot on the exhaust whether or not the car consumes oil. Fuel or oil then? The soot in my car however is not so much to get into the bumper but the tips would be covered by the material.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Had an 07 997 S for over a year, put 17k miles on in that time. Never noticed soot on garage floor or bumper etc.
My new 2011 4S with aftermarket exhaust and x-pipe always leaves soot water stuff on the garage floor. Always cleaning the exhaust tips inside and out. Never really thought much about it. No oil consumption after 7k miles and 3 months...

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
drummin4fun is infamous around these partsdrummin4fun is infamous around these parts
You have to remember that you are burning a hydrocarbon. There will always be a residue. The other thing is that the end of your exhaust is much closer to the source than in, say, a front engine vehicle. The soot gets to the exhaust tips in greater concentrations because there is much less pipe through which it is traveling. No matter if your car burns oil or not.