997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
LOL, that is funny!
Some 18,000 posts later Ah what the heck... I mean I got bored of making PC's go faster so....

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Some 18,000 posts later Ah what the heck... I mean I got bored of making PC's go faster so....
You are still making PC's go faster...Porsche Cars

Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
You are still making PC's go faster...Porsche Cars
Haha I never thought of it that way I still remember back in 02 when I popped open the ECU in my then 996TT and saw an AMD flash chip

Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
I won't be modding my Porsche anytime soon since I consider the car a big mod for me since I previously drove a Camry. I will push it to the limit stock for the next 2-3 years then I will consider mods!

PS. But I did replace it with clear side markers.

Vic

Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nucjd
This will be an interesting thread. The only mod I have done is the change my yellow side lights to the clear side lights. For such a small change it is amazing the difference. I am curious to here the big time mod guys response to this thread.
haha, well, i never considered the clear markers a mod but i do have them and on the advice of the members here, i had the dealer throw them in when i first went to buy the car.

now i know that one mod might be regrettable to one and acceptable to another, but if there are mods where a number of people are unhappy, i would probably write them off my want list.

i wished we all lived more closer so we could check out these things in person. i am having a hard time droping 1700 for an exhaust that i dont know for sure i could live with.

someone said that unless you go for a supercharger, you will be hardpressed to feel a difference so if i do the exhaust, it will only be a catback and only for a better sounding car.

damptronics: bilstein is the OE manufacturer for the car already with the pasm. how is it they somehow build a superior product for porsche AFTERMARKET? do they know the car better than porsche or is porsche holding back on the sporting nature of their car?

so far, exhaust, damptronic, and aero kit (big maybe/probably not) are probably the only other mods i would consider for this car.

and i have to weigh all this with (though i own the car outright) an exit strategy when i eye my next car (either 911 tt, gt3, or 360).

post more mod experiences and detail why you like/dislike

Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
damptronics: bilstein is the OE manufacturer for the car already with the pasm. how is it they somehow build a superior product for porsche AFTERMARKET? do they know the car better than porsche or is porsche holding back on the sporting nature of their car?
I have never seen any confirmation that Bilstein makes the OE for the stock suspension, however I believe that they make the shocks. The reason that the Damptronics are better then the OE shocks/springs is that they are a Coil Over suspension vs Spring/Shock Combo, and they are also a stiffer combination then the stock set up. They can be corner balanced, where as the stock setup can't and if you buy them new you have a lifetime warranty as long as you own them, compared to 4 years for PCNA.

As for exhaust, I noticed the biggest gains from the Cats, then the headers, I find the mufflers and intake are great sound, but that is where it ends. But once again the overall increase is very minimal and IMO very expensive for the gains that you will get, spend it elsewhere.

BTW, sounds like you are getting the modding bug, I seem to remember that you said you weren't going to do any

Old 03-20-2009, 04:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Porsche can build anything they want but keep in mind that at the root of mass producing cars there has to be cost effective measures taken . To warranty a car and scheduele affordable service they have consider the final product . Plus if Porsche Posce were releasing 700-800 Hp Turbo cars and CEO's and Doctors were crashing them it may be a PR nightmare so they even have to consider the driver. Most P car drivers are enthusiasts at heart but there is a lowest common denominator of skill that has to be facorted into launching cars to the masses .

Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
I have never seen any confirmation that Bilstein makes the OE for the stock suspension, however I believe that they make the shocks. The reason that the Damptronics are better then the OE shocks/springs is that they are a Coil Over suspension vs Spring/Shock Combo, and they are also a stiffer combination then the stock set up. They can be corner balanced, where as the stock setup can't and if you buy them new you have a lifetime warranty as long as you own them, compared to 4 years for PCNA.

As for exhaust, I noticed the biggest gains from the Cats, then the headers, I find the mufflers and intake are great sound, but that is where it ends. But once again the overall increase is very minimal and IMO very expensive for the gains that you will get, spend it elsewhere.

BTW, sounds like you are getting the modding bug, I seem to remember that you said you weren't going to do any
haha, i still have a virgin car with only a set of gt3 wheels that can be pulled right off and sold. cant call me out yet

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
haha, i still have a virgin car with only a set of gt3 wheels that can be pulled right off and sold. cant call me out yet
But when finally it happens (which is sounding sooner then later), we both know I will be there to remind you

Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche can build anything they want but keep in mind that at the root of mass producing cars there has to be cost effective measures taken . To warranty a car and scheduele affordable service they have consider the final product . Plus if Porsche Posce were releasing 700-800 Hp Turbo cars and CEO's and Doctors were crashing them it may be a PR nightmare so they even have to consider the driver. Most P car drivers are enthusiasts at heart but there is a lowest common denominator of skill that has to be facorted into launching cars to the masses .
i would think a better product would make the car handel better and be safer...

But when finally it happens (which is sounding sooner then later), we both know I will be there to remind you
you're on buddy. mark this thread, im game

Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
i would think a better product would make the car handel better and be safer...

you're on buddy. mark this thread, im game
It is better and safer then the stock suspension.

And I will be watching for your mods

Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Other than the occasional mental review of the price/performance value of my cars mods (all or one at a time), I would say that I really like them all, with reservations only about my latest one - the GT3 front bumper. It does fulfill what I wanted - it looks spectacular (and I could swear there's less in-cabin wind turbulence with the top down but I'm sure that's just bad science). But combined with the lowered stance created/enabled by the Damptronics (the best single mod I've done IMHO) and the low front splitter of the new bumper, I have to be significantly more thoughtful about where and how I drive the car. It's really no big deal. A replacement splitter is $200.
But one of the great things about a Porsche (particularly the 997 family) is that it's pretty much a supercar you can drive everyday. I'm always very careful with the car but now I'm thinking about speed bumps and steep driveways. I guess beauty comes at a price
Looking out in the future, there are a few more things that I hope someday to add to the list:
Supercharger. To me, along with the Bilstein's, this is the ultimate mod. But it also comes at a huge price. I actually never worry about recouping my investment(s). I generally hold on to a car for a very long time. Especially when it's a love affair such as it is with my 997. But it's still a big bill.
Rear wing. A modest one to match the GT3 bumper. On a Cab, most look like they're out of 'Pimp My Ride', so not sure what would work here.
LWFW. I have a suspicion that I would really love this mod. I've always been passionate about high-revving small engined european cars. Even with less power on tap. The 997S engine revs nicely. But faster/quicker would be better.
Ceramic or carbon brakes. This is fantasy mixed with psychic value. The stock brakes on the 'S' are spectacular. But the aftermarket firm MovIt makes some beautiful and impressive products. I need to do much more research but the cost would almost certainly ensure that the list will forever be unfulfilled.
Low on the list would be new wheels/tires. Two things here. I'm totally happy with the look of the lobster claws and 19" wheels. And the PS2's are just great (though I might try a set of Cup tires). But if I could find a substantially lighter 18" wheel with a tire size that would equivalently fill the wheel wells, reduced unsprung weight and more flexible, better handling rubber could sway me.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
All I've done so far (07 997S) is add the iPod Dension interface and, if you want to count them, winter wheels/tires. The only regret with the Dension is putting it in the trunk instead of behind the console. I suppose I could move it if I got motivated.

Next up I will do the V1 hardwire which is a pretty straightforward mod. Also euro GT3 (996) seats are going in along with a harness bar for summer season DE use; then back to stock seats for winter (heated).

And the most important one of all is to work on the mush between my ears so I can drive this machine just a wee bit better.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:33 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I have done a fair amount of modifications to my car over about a 3 year period. Damage so far is around $8k into the engine, $3k for electronics, $8k suspension (just done) & $2k plus for incidentals.

I should probably get my head examined, but I don't regret anything I have spent on my little project. It is a daily driver with almost 35k miles. I am also one of those misguided individuals that would rather drive their car than detail it.

Doing it over, I would have ordered more interior leather options and different aftermarket intake & reflash. My next modification will be some nice wheels to replace the lobster forks.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 PM
excellent responces. just the kind im looking for.

i still would like to know why some regret lowering if anyone can chime in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?