997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Verde
Other than the occasional mental review of the price/performance value of my cars mods (all or one at a time), I would say that I really like them all, with reservations only about my latest one - the GT3 front bumper. It does fulfill what I wanted - it looks spectacular (and I could swear there's less in-cabin wind turbulence with the top down but I'm sure that's just bad science). But combined with the lowered stance created/enabled by the Damptronics (the best single mod I've done IMHO) and the low front splitter of the new bumper, I have to be significantly more thoughtful about where and how I drive the car. It's really no big deal. A replacement splitter is $200.
But one of the great things about a Porsche (particularly the 997 family) is that it's pretty much a supercar you can drive everyday. I'm always very careful with the car but now I'm thinking about speed bumps and steep driveways. I guess beauty comes at a price
Looking out in the future, there are a few more things that I hope someday to add to the list:
Supercharger. To me, along with the Bilstein's, this is the ultimate mod. But it also comes at a huge price. I actually never worry about recouping my investment(s). I generally hold on to a car for a very long time. Especially when it's a love affair such as it is with my 997. But it's still a big bill.
Rear wing. A modest one to match the GT3 bumper. On a Cab, most look like they're out of 'Pimp My Ride', so not sure what would work here.
LWFW. I have a suspicion that I would really love this mod. I've always been passionate about high-revving small engined european cars. Even with less power on tap. The 997S engine revs nicely. But faster/quicker would be better.
Ceramic or carbon brakes. This is fantasy mixed with psychic value. The stock brakes on the 'S' are spectacular. But the aftermarket firm MovIt makes some beautiful and impressive products. I need to do much more research but the cost would almost certainly ensure that the list will forever be unfulfilled.
Low on the list would be new wheels/tires. Two things here. I'm totally happy with the look of the lobster claws and 19" wheels. And the PS2's are just great (though I might try a set of Cup tires). But if I could find a substantially lighter 18" wheel with a tire size that would equivalently fill the wheel wells, reduced unsprung weight and more flexible, better handling rubber could sway me.
how do you think a 997S with the damptronic but without the front gt3 bumper would do. is lowering the main culprit or the new bumper as far as clearance goes

Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
There are lots of threads on this forum and others about lowering a 997. Stock, the 997 has ground clearance problems over normal driving situations. Just listen when the car strikes the pavement over roadways you can't avoid. Look at the ragged parts. Lowering the car, whether by replacement springs or coilovers, will only make it worse. If you can avoid this, you have found a way to violate the laws of physics. Two objects can't occupy the same place at the same time.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MichaelL
Doing it over, I would have ordered more interior leather options and different aftermarket intake & reflash.
Curious which intake and reflash you'd go with this time around. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I think I did cite why some would have second thoughts about lowering. First is simple ground clearance. Per my prior entry. Separately, the lower you go, the harsher the ride. Lots of other variables here but for a given type of springs or coilovers, lowering the car is precompressing the springs. Less travel thus a greater chance of bottoming, and if the coil is non-linear in it's design, you'll be into the firmer range of the spring for the remaining travel. But as the old adage goes, 'anything in moderation'. I lowered my car about 18mm and the ride, though firmer, is just fine.
The ground clearance with the GT3 bumper is pretty negligible though.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It's mostly the new bumper/splitter. I'd been riding on the lowered car for a few months with the stock bumper. There was the occasional brush of the lowest rubberized dam - under the bumper just forward of the front wheels. And to be fair, I was careful back then, ever since I purchased the car actually, about road impediments. I've always driven diagonally over speed bumps and been careful in gauging driveways.
But with the new bumper and splitter it's just a new ballgame. That said, so far I'm pretty sure I'd do it again. My two sons just came back from college last night and thought the new front end was just incredible. Changes the car - for the better - completely. And, although I'm biased, I think it's most striking on a white car, with the black bits so starkly offset.

Originally Posted by Bara
how do you think a 997S with the damptronic but without the front gt3 bumper would do. is lowering the main culprit or the new bumper as far as clearance goes

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 AM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
I had RUF lower my 06, loved the look, just what I wanted. Drove it for several months and didn't mind the harsher ride but hated the bumps and scrapes. Many intersections in the DFW area have intersections with small crests. Had to slow to a crawl all the time.
Had the original springs put back on. Nicer ride...

Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
When I upgraded the intake, the only readily available system that made sense was the Evo. The Champion airbox, fantastically overpriced, and the X-51 parts were not available. I would go with the X-51 today.

The GIAC reflash was well known then. Moving forward, the Softronic or Evo are worth a look.

Changing either at this time for me is not cost effective. Incremental gains only.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:29 PM
For you, what is the value of the intake (the X-51 as you specify)? Power? Sound? Something else?
Thx

Originally Posted by MichaelL
When I upgraded the intake, the only readily available system that made sense was the Evo. The Champion airbox, fantastically overpriced, and the X-51 parts were not available. I would go with the X-51 today.

The GIAC reflash was well known then. Moving forward, the Softronic or Evo are worth a look.

Changing either at this time for me is not cost effective. Incremental gains only.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:56 PM
redhotmurc333 is infamous around these parts
My passion for modding/tuning cars started waay back in 87 when I acquired my first car a blk 82 Scirrocco(actually my first car was a 79 Volvo 244 but that was a hand me down HeHe!)~ I always wanted to personalize my cars to my liking~ And do what the car manufacturers couldn't do to mass produced cars due to everyday useability and reliability~
Back then parts weren't as readily available as they are today and most parts were either ordered from the back pages of "Road & Track", "Motortrend", or "Car & Driver" and if they could not be ordered they had to be custom fabricated~
To make a long story short, ever since then I have modded every car that I have owned except SUV's~ And usually the first mod would be suspension work because I like the tight handling/feeling of my cars, not too mention the tough aggressive stance in appearance~
Yes along the ways you have to deal with the heart ripping feeling of cringing over speed bumps, abrupt driveways, pulled out fender lips, scuffed front airdams, BUT the trade off to me is well worth it~ Especially when you're on the highway at night and you feel one with your car feeling every crevice of the road~ Not to mention the gratification you get when you come out of the grocery store at night to see your car waiting for you parked underneath the lightpost with it's tight aggressive stance with the wheels filling every gap in the wheelwell leaving bystanders with the question, "How does he drive that car?" HAHA!!!
Ok Ok I better stop, it sounds like I'm writing a Playboy article~
Nonetheless, I LOVE my Porsche lowered and have no regrets! I have a mild setup with the H&R sport coils, as I won't be tracking this car~ And I am very delighted with the way she handles and looks!

Last edited by redhotmurc333; 03-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by redhotmurc333
My passion for modding/tuning cars started waay back in 87 when I acquired my first car a blk 82 Scirrocco(actually my first car was a 79 Volvo 244 but that was a hand me down HeHe!)~ I always wanted to personalize my cars to my liking~ And do what the car manufacturers couldn't do to mass produced cars due to everyday useability and reliability~
Back then parts weren't as readily available as they are today and most parts were either ordered from the back pages of "Road & Track", "Motortrend", or "Car & Driver" and if they could not be ordered they had to be custom fabricated~
To make a long story short, ever since then I have modded every car that I have owned except SUV's~ And usually the first mod would be suspension work because I like the tight handling/feeling of my cars, not too mention the tough aggressive stance in appearance~
Yes along the ways you have to deal with the heart ripping feeling of cringing over speed bumps, abrupt driveways, pulled out fender lips, scuffed front airdams, BUT the trade off to me is well worth it~ Especially when you're on the highway at night and you feel one with your car feeling every crevice of the road~ Not to mention the gratification you get when you come out of the grocery store at night to see your car waiting for you parked underneath the lightpost with it's tight aggressive stance with the wheels filling every gap in the wheelwell leaving bystanders with the question, "How does he drive that car?" HAHA!!!
Ok Ok I better stop, it sounds like I'm writing a Playboy article~
Nonetheless, I LOVE my Porsche lowered and have no regrets! I have a mild setup with the H&R sport coils, as I won't be tracking this car~ And I am very delighted with the way she handles and looks!
haha, memory lane indeed and nice writing style. thanks for all the additional input.

i had my brother-in-law drive my car yesterday while i followed in his car on our way to a family picnic. i wanted to see how my stock 997 looks while in motion.

honestly, it looked as tight as you mention without any mods. i do notice a little wheel gap while its parked in the garage but out on the road, it had a low, wide, sexy stance and the wheels looked Awesome in motion.

would anyone like to give their before/after impression of stock 997 s to damptronic suspension. how does it feel and handle?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I did custom made headers on my last car, a 996, and didn't think it was worth the cost, but I don't actually regret it. With my current car, a 997S, I am actually considering headers again, as I want more low end torque.
CATTMAN

Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
If you haven't already, please check out this url:
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/index.html#_5
and find this thread:
Bilstein B16 Damptronic: A Must For The Turbo in the 997 Turbo section.
Also, check out my blog re the Damptronic upgrade:
http://autopianviews.blogspot.com/
Loaded with perspectives.
Verde

Originally Posted by Bara
haha, memory lane indeed and nice writing style. thanks for all the additional input.

i had my brother-in-law drive my car yesterday while i followed in his car on our way to a family picnic. i wanted to see how my stock 997 looks while in motion.

honestly, it looked as tight as you mention without any mods. i do notice a little wheel gap while its parked in the garage but out on the road, it had a low, wide, sexy stance and the wheels looked Awesome in motion.

would anyone like to give their before/after impression of stock 997 s to damptronic suspension. how does it feel and handle?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:49 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Like many others, I did lot's o mods to make the 997S be what I thought it could be.
For handling, I did damptronics, GT3 sway bars / links, lowered, full allignment and corner balance. The car became a large go cart on rails after those mods - on stock tires/rims.
For better looks, I add the GT3 / GT2 type areokit from MISHA. Car looker meaner after that.
For performance, I tried (and regretted), ECU GIAC flash, headers, 200 cell cats, sport exhaust, new intake manifold. My regret was that I eventually got rid of all of that stuff and went to supercharging. I would have saved a lot of $$ by going straight to SC AND using all of the stock intake and exhaust parts.
Supercharging made it on par with my 997TT!

Last edited by summoboy; 03-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by summoboy
Like many others, I did lot's o mods to make the 997S be what I thought it could be.
For handling, I did damptronics, GT3 sway bars / links, full allignment and corner balance. The car became a large go cart on rails after those mods - on stock tires/rims.
For better looks, I add the GT3 / GT2 type areokit from MISHA. Car looker meaner after that.
For performance, I tried (and regretted), ECU GIAC flash, headers, 200 cell cats, sport exhaust, new intake manifold. My regret was that I eventually got rid of all of that stuff and went to supercharging. I would have saved a lot of $$ by going straight to SC AND using all of the stock intake and exhaust parts.
When you say "on par" what do you mean by that? How close are the 1/4 miles times and trap speeds?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
If you haven't already, please check out this url:
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/index.html#_5
and find this thread:
Bilstein B16 Damptronic: A Must For The Turbo in the 997 Turbo section.
Also, check out my blog re the Damptronic upgrade:
http://autopianviews.blogspot.com/
Loaded with perspectives.
Verde
very good, going over there now to check it out...
Originally Posted by summoboy
For handling, I did damptronics, GT3 sway bars / links, lowered, full allignment and corner balance. The car became a large go cart on rails after those mods - on stock tires/rims.
for me, before i CS the 997S, i'd rather just upgrade to a better car, either a gt3 or maybe tt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?