997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I agree. Stacy is part of a somewhat unique group that mods cars for fun, not for the ability to drive their car harder or faster. Stacy has one of the nicest looking cabs I've seen, especially with the gorgeous body kit he designed and built. Then on top of that he installed the supercharger, making his beautiful car very fast. And he doesn't even drive his car much, and certainly doesn't track it. He just enjoys improving it. One day, someone will get a fantastic car whenever he decides to sell his cab. I expect there are other modded cars out there owned by similar enthusiasts who truly care for their cars, often more than many owners of "stock" cars do. These modded cars make great buys for people who want the same mods.
Ken,
You left out the part that I let you drive it last weekend when you were here.....I think you drove it more than me,LOL!!!

Stacy

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pnutty
muffler bypass - I totally regret this, made the car sound ridiculous, wish i went with my Tubi from the start.
Which muffler bypass did you get? And what did you mean by "sound ridiculous"?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
I have every mod possible on my car and will NEVER drive the wheels off of it(no matter how hard northvan997c2s tries to get me to go to the track)!
One day at the track and you will be hooked!

It's OK to be afraid to go the track the first time, I was a little unsure as well, and once I did it, I was hooked.

I don't think that I am driving the wheels off my car, the harder I drive it the smoother the car becomes. I have not made any warranty claims on my car, and when I was at the dealer last year to get the airbags on my seats deactivated for the track seats the dealer confirmed that the cars that are driven the way Porsche intended, are the ones that don't have problems. The Queens always seem to have issues. Porsche built these cars to be driven, I have done some mods that still allow me to enjoy the car on the street, at the same time allowing me to improve it's performance and handling on the track to get more out of the experience. Driving it harder means I change fluids more frequently, and the worst that can happen to it, is that I get a few rock chips and scuffs from comes on the track (also known as track scars).

Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Well guys, here are my thoughts: I will be putting answers in a street/track format. So, if it's yes/no, I'm saying I regretted it on the street but not the track. I'll also explain stuff that I think needs explaining.

First of all, my car is a 2006 Carrera S that I bought new. Oh, and no/no!

VF Supercharger no/yes. It was great on the track, but in the end, created too much heat. However, I just drove it for the first time yesterday with the brand new engine in it, and the lack of power is shocking. I wish I recalibrated or something.

Fabspeed headers and exhaust: no/no. I changed from this because I went to a center exit bumper.

Synergy Racing exhaust for center exit: yes/no. Too loud.

GMG WC headers and exhaust: no/no

DAS Sport engine lowering kit: no/no Really cool. It's gotta help. Hard to really tell though.

H&R springs on PASM: yes/yes. Just not great unless you don't care and it looks fine.

Bilstien PSS for PASM: no/yes. They can't handle hard core tracking well. Not adjustable to any real level.

Moton Clubsports w/GMG springs: no/no. Wow.

Cobra Carbon Fiber Suzuka Technology seats, OMP 6 point harnesses, GMG roll cage: yes/no. Just too much of a ***** to get in and out of on the street.

ChaseCam X 2: no/no. Really cool to record cool ****, even on the road.

Traqmate: N/A/no

Sachs LWFW and race clutch: yes/no. Not that fun on the street. Hard to deal with. Chatters. A near-must on the track, in my book.

Quaife Limited Slip Diff: no/no. Best mod ever. Gotta have it. If you don't, change this promptly, unless you would otherwise drive an SL500.

20" wheels: yes/yes. Just too rough with a "real" suspension.

19" Volk TE-37 wheels: no/no. Wonderful, light strong.

18" HRE C-23 wheels: no/no. Absolutely perfect. Wow. Stunning. Car just feels better.

Michelin Cups: yes/yes. Bad in rain. Expensive. Not that great. Get oily when really hot.

Toyo R888s: yes/no. Wonderful on the track. Excellent feel, even on the road. Just a lot of road noise.

Carbon fiber chin spoilers: yes/NA. Just a stupid mod, guys. They break. Before they do, you're nervous all the time.

GT3 control arms, GMG dogbones, GMG sway bars: no/no. Adjustability is a huge thing. Get them only if you will invest good money in a setup/alignment, and only if you need more camber (not talking about sways here, I always suggest sways).

Monoball mounts: yes/no. Way too much harshness on the road, but brilliant on the track.

Short Shift Kit: no/no. Wonderful.

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot. But that's all I can think of.

I'm not going to comment on any body mods, because that's all subjective.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Jared, Nice to see you again.

Thanks for the detailed review. I agree with you on most of these items, however I don't get any real noise from my LWFW except when cruising at 2000 RPM, and that isn't any fun anyway. I do agree that the LSD is a must have, the more I drive mine with this mod, the more I say WTF didn't Porsche install these in the factory?

I also find that the Bilsteins are great on the track, and I know another guy that was bouncing around the same corners in his 997 C2S with Moton Club Sports. Perhaps it is the rest of the suspension bits that you have versus my set up, or perhaps I am not as hard core on the track as you are. Rep Points for your write up.

Ed

Old 03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
One day at the track and you will be hooked!

It's OK to be afraid to go the track the first time, I was a little unsure as well, and once I did it, I was hooked.

I don't think that I am driving the wheels off my car, the harder I drive it the smoother the car becomes. I have not made any warranty claims on my car, and when I was at the dealer last year to get the airbags on my seats deactivated for the track seats the dealer confirmed that the cars that are driven the way Porsche intended, are the ones that don't have problems. The Queens always seem to have issues. Porsche built these cars to be driven, I have done some mods that still allow me to enjoy the car on the street, at the same time allowing me to improve it's performance and handling on the track to get more out of the experience. Driving it harder means I change fluids more frequently, and the worst that can happen to it, is that I get a few rock chips and scuffs from comes on the track (also known as track scars).
i think Stacy is probably the exception, not the rule. in my post above, im not arguing this one way or another, just conveying my experiences with the used car market. its just a fact of life that most buyers dont want modded cars, especially the high end variety.

personally, i wouldnt buy a car modded car because i want to be the one doing them even if its going to cost me. i may tolerate a few minor mods but nothing major and i would never buy a car that has been tracked.

like i said, we had a well known guy on the vette forum that everyone respected and thought his car was a total gem. when he sold it, the next owner had a nightmare on his hands. since he didnt do the mods, he didnt know how to diagnose or fix anything on the car. it was just too modded and needed a knowlegeble care taker to keep it running properly.

im sure Stacy is a great guy and i have read many of his exploits here on the forum, but i would NEVER buy his car even if i were looking for a SC'd Cab.

why?

1, i like to mod the car myself and want to be involved in the process.
2, what if something were to go wrong. stacy did the work himself so would be a lot better suited to remedy anything that might pop up. not having his skills or knowledge of what all has gone into that car, it wouldnt be pretty to have a outside shop try and figure things out.

Black out: how does a limited slip help the car?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:54 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Jared: It took me a while to figure out your answers. At first I thought they were backwards, then realized you were answering yes/no to "any regrets" rather than as if you were or weren't recommending them. Thanks for the comments.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bara
i think Stacy is probably the exception, not the rule. in my post above, im not arguing this one way or another, just conveying my experiences with the used car market. its just a fact of life that most buyers dont want modded cars, especially the high end variety.

personally, i wouldnt buy a car modded car because i want to be the one doing them even if its going to cost me. i may tolerate a few minor mods but nothing major and i would never buy a car that has been tracked.

like i said, we had a well known guy on the vette forum that everyone respected and thought his car was a total gem. when he sold it, the next owner had a nightmare on his hands. since he didnt do the mods, he didnt know how to diagnose or fix anything on the car. it was just too modded and needed a knowlegeble care taker to keep it running properly.

im sure Stacy is a great guy and i have read many of his exploits here on the forum, but i would NEVER buy his car even if i were looking for a SC'd Cab.

why?

1, i like to mod the car myself and want to be involved in the process.
2, what if something were to go wrong. stacy did the work himself so would be a lot better suited to remedy anything that might pop up. not having his skills or knowledge of what all has gone into that car, it wouldnt be pretty to have a outside shop try and figure things out.

Black out: how does a limited slip help the car?
Agreed that the Stacy is an exception to every rule...I mean every rule (yeah I know you will call me and ***** about this comment Stacy)

I thought that you said you weren't going to mod your car, how close are you to getting the mods started

LSD will allow the car to apply the power to the wheel with the most grip as opposed to the wheel with the least grip like the OEM differential does. This allows one to apply the power sooner while driving through and exiting a corner.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Agreed that the Stacy is an exception to every rule...I mean every rule (yeah I know you will call me and ***** about this comment Stacy)

I thought that you said you weren't going to mod your car, how close are you to getting the mods started

LSD will allow the car to apply the power to the wheel with the most grip as opposed to the wheel with the least grip like the OEM differential does. This allows one to apply the power sooner while driving through and exiting a corner.
Mods? what Mods?

so, will the LSD help wheel hop?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Mods? what Mods?

so, will the LSD help wheel hop?
The mods that you are considering!

What wheel hop? I haven't had any since the LSD went in. You know a LSD would be considered a Mod

Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
The mods that you are considering!

What wheel hop? I haven't had any since the LSD went in. You know a LSD would be considered a Mod
you think the lsd did it or the damptronics?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:31 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Rep points for blakt out. Awesome write up!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM
you think the lsd did it or the damptronics?
I think that it is the combination of everything, including the exhaust and the time on the track!

I think the LSD plays a big part in solving this problem.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Bara, a LSD will help with wheel hop but it won't cure it. The issue is the suspension pick up points and the bushing material they use. I do believe it would alleviate some of it though.

Dave

Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Thanks for the rep, fellas. That always makes you feel good.

Ed is right about the LSD. It makes you more able to enjoy coming out of a turn on throttle. Without it, you spin the inside wheel. With it, you can gun out of turns. It also helps you slide the car in control.

Not to "push" the article, but you should read the Excellence article (April 09, I think) on my car and some others. The LSD got HUGE props for why the car was so good. Plus, you can leave traction control on and it doesn't come in and eff with you when you don't want it to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?