997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
i think Stacy is probably the exception, not the rule. in my post above, im not arguing this one way or another, just conveying my experiences with the used car market. its just a fact of life that most buyers dont want modded cars, especially the high end variety.

personally, i wouldnt buy a car modded car because i want to be the one doing them even if its going to cost me. i may tolerate a few minor mods but nothing major and i would never buy a car that has been tracked.

like i said, we had a well known guy on the vette forum that everyone respected and thought his car was a total gem. when he sold it, the next owner had a nightmare on his hands. since he didnt do the mods, he didnt know how to diagnose or fix anything on the car. it was just too modded and needed a knowlegeble care taker to keep it running properly.

im sure Stacy is a great guy and i have read many of his exploits here on the forum, but i would NEVER buy his car even if i were looking for a SC'd Cab.

why?

1, i like to mod the car myself and want to be involved in the process.
2, what if something were to go wrong. stacy did the work himself so would be a lot better suited to remedy anything that might pop up. not having his skills or knowledge of what all has gone into that car, it wouldnt be pretty to have a outside shop try and figure things out.

Black out: how does a limited slip help the car?
To be honest I haven't done anything other than 'Bolt-ons"....so fixing a problem would be no different than having a shop install these mods for you,that is unless you do them yourself......would you???
There are no problems especially since the parts are bolt-on and of amazing quality,that brings the saying "You get what you pay for" holding true...!!!!

Jared GREAT write-up....and good to see you back Bro.....been a while!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 03-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
I recently added an EVO Intake and Fabspeed mufflers and the only regrets I have are as follows:

1) I wish I would've taken the time to find a fellow 6speeder to hear the sound difference these two mods make to make sure they passed the "wife test". Unfortunately, they do not -- she thinks they're too loud -- which leads me to regret #2

2) I can't find a fellow 6speeder to buy the parts! They're posted in the FS forum in case anyone is interested...

Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, that's a curious comment about the 'for sale' part of this forum. I too have been listing a killer part - a white Speedlingerie bra for a 997 narrow body. Not a lick of interest. To be fair, I never think of looking there for parts etc. either. I wonder if it's the way the site is constructed. But I've decided not to take it personally

Originally Posted by lakerholic
I recently added an EVO Intake and Fabspeed mufflers and the only regrets I have are as follows:

1) I wish I would've taken the time to find a fellow 6speeder to hear the sound difference these two mods make to make sure they passed the "wife test". Unfortunately, they do not -- she thinks they're too loud -- which leads me to regret #2

2) I can't find a fellow 6speeder to buy the parts! They're posted in the FS forum in case anyone is interested...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Actually, that's a curious comment about the 'for sale' part of this forum. I too have been listing a killer part - a white Speedlingerie bra for a 997 narrow body. Not a lick of interest. To be fair, I never think of looking there for parts etc. either. I wonder if it's the way the site is constructed. But I've decided not to take it personally
I have bought and sold items via the classifieds, I think that things are moving slowly due to the economic slowdown. I did buy some wheels and tires last week, but it was a deal that was too good to pass up and the seller was local to me.

If you want to sell quickly, price it low. Want to sell things at a fair price for you, be patient.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I sold very many parts on the classifieds of this forum. Put a link to your for sale stuff in your signature. That's the best thing.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blakt out
Well guys, here are my thoughts: I will be putting answers in a street/track format. So, if it's yes/no, I'm saying I regretted it on the street but not the track. I'll also explain stuff that I think needs explaining.

First of all, my car is a 2006 Carrera S that I bought new. Oh, and no/no!

VF Supercharger no/yes. It was great on the track, but in the end, created too much heat. However, I just drove it for the first time yesterday with the brand new engine in it, and the lack of power is shocking. I wish I recalibrated or something.

Fabspeed headers and exhaust: no/no. I changed from this because I went to a center exit bumper.

Synergy Racing exhaust for center exit: yes/no. Too loud.

GMG WC headers and exhaust: no/no

DAS Sport engine lowering kit: no/no Really cool. It's gotta help. Hard to really tell though.

H&R springs on PASM: yes/yes. Just not great unless you don't care and it looks fine.

Bilstien PSS for PASM: no/yes. They can't handle hard core tracking well. Not adjustable to any real level.

Moton Clubsports w/GMG springs: no/no. Wow.

Cobra Carbon Fiber Suzuka Technology seats, OMP 6 point harnesses, GMG roll cage: yes/no. Just too much of a ***** to get in and out of on the street.

ChaseCam X 2: no/no. Really cool to record cool ****, even on the road.

Traqmate: N/A/no

Sachs LWFW and race clutch: yes/no. Not that fun on the street. Hard to deal with. Chatters. A near-must on the track, in my book.

Quaife Limited Slip Diff: no/no. Best mod ever. Gotta have it. If you don't, change this promptly, unless you would otherwise drive an SL500.

20" wheels: yes/yes. Just too rough with a "real" suspension.

19" Volk TE-37 wheels: no/no. Wonderful, light strong.

18" HRE C-23 wheels: no/no. Absolutely perfect. Wow. Stunning. Car just feels better.

Michelin Cups: yes/yes. Bad in rain. Expensive. Not that great. Get oily when really hot.

Toyo R888s: yes/no. Wonderful on the track. Excellent feel, even on the road. Just a lot of road noise.

Carbon fiber chin spoilers: yes/NA. Just a stupid mod, guys. They break. Before they do, you're nervous all the time.

GT3 control arms, GMG dogbones, GMG sway bars: no/no. Adjustability is a huge thing. Get them only if you will invest good money in a setup/alignment, and only if you need more camber (not talking about sways here, I always suggest sways).

Monoball mounts: yes/no. Way too much harshness on the road, but brilliant on the track.

Short Shift Kit: no/no. Wonderful.

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot. But that's all I can think of.

I'm not going to comment on any body mods, because that's all subjective.
Wow Jared, that is some great and uselful info from aguy that know what is going on. Thanks! This should be manitory reading for all 997 guys looking to mod the car.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the tip. Wasn't sure if that was quite proper. Hope that helps.

I sold very many parts on the classifieds of this forum. Put a link to your for sale stuff in your signature. That's the best thing.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Just sitting here after a few martinis wanting to say hey! I've totally been spotty on here the past few months.

Baby. Merging the company with a new one. Being in charge of making the new one successful (with DHinkle). Moving. Selling. Buying...

Whew. I miss you guys!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Hey blakt out. Hope things are going better for you particularly with your shoulder. Your beast is truly a mod machine!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Love all the mods on my car. Tubi headers and race mufflers are great. AWE cats are something I felt great gains from. The LWFW is a must for me now that I've experienced it for the last 6 months. Love the GT3 bumper as far as cosmetic mods go. Dying for damptronics now! I can never drive a 997S stock. Just me.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 AM
pearlwhites is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I think that it is the combination of everything, including the exhaust and the time on the track!

I think the LSD plays a big part in solving this problem.
I put a quaife unit in my 335 and its my favorite mod by far. I'm looking into picking up a c2s now and i'm curious what the quaife's go for?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Around $1800 I think. Main thing is that you also have to drop the engine and stuff to press it in. The labor is expensive. Consider other drivetrain mods at the same time.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Around $1800 I think. Main thing is that you also have to drop the engine and stuff to press it in. The labor is expensive. Consider other drivetrain mods at the same time.
+1 Jared (good to see you around again BTW). I did the LWFW at the same time.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nucjd
This will be an interesting thread. The only mod I have done is the change my yellow side lights to the clear side lights. For such a small change it is amazing the difference. I am curious to here the big time mod guys response to this thread.
I changed my side markers to clear and my quarter mile trap speed went up about 8%

Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
DUDE! That happened to me too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?