997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Everyone knows that the butt dyno is the truest measure of gains.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
tedean is infamous around these parts
Guys, (new guy sticking my neck out here) for those that are most interested in improving their track times, by the time you spend the time and money on all these mods, wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a GT3 (used or new if $ were not the major concern)?

I am at the fork in the road. I want more performance, but the cost for all these mods, well, might not be cost effective. If I sell my car, I don't want to devalue the car by modifying from the stock form as most buyers will not be track guys (and appreciate the mods) and will not want a highly modified Porsche.

I love my 08 997S and no doubt I am not the most experienced driver, but I am now starting my research to see if the GT3 is what I need for the track.

Does anyone know anyone that has moved to a GT3 and felt the car had all the mods needed?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with your question is that the audience is a bit self-selected. I'm sure there are a number of GT3 owners who keep their car stock. But this forum is populated with people (including both you and I!!) who are avid P-car owners and have a strong bias to improve their ride.
Be it a plain Boxster or a GT2 and all points in between, many many forum members are sure they can make their car better and have the interest and often the skill to do so.
Any car can be improved. Or more aptly put, tuned to the desires of the owner. So the question is really whether you'll be able to leave things as-is. Given that you've already mod'ed your current ride, I suspect we know the answer

Originally Posted by tedean
Guys, (new guy sticking my neck out here) for those that are most interested in improving their track times, by the time you spend the time and money on all these mods, wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a GT3 (used or new if $ were not the major concern)?

I am at the fork in the road. I want more performance, but the cost for all these mods, well, might not be cost effective. If I sell my car, I don't want to devalue the car by modifying from the stock form as most buyers will not be track guys (and appreciate the mods) and will not want a highly modified Porsche.

I love my 08 997S and no doubt I am not the most experienced driver, but I am now starting my research to see if the GT3 is what I need for the track.

Does anyone know anyone that has moved to a GT3 and felt the car had all the mods needed?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 PM
tedean is infamous around these parts
Verde, Yes, well put. My past experiences has shown that by the time I do spend all the money to do all the mods trying to make my (insert racing vehicle here) better, I could have just purchased the more expensive car build for what my goal was, more speed on the track! I am fooling myself, if I bought a GT3, I would be lurking on that forum on how they mod their cars!!

Originally Posted by Verde
The problem with your question is that the audience is a bit self-selected. I'm sure there are a number of GT3 owners who keep their car stock. But this forum is populated with people (including both you and I!!) who are avid P-car owners and have a strong bias to improve their ride.
Be it a plain Boxster or a GT2 and all points in between, many many forum members are sure they can make their car better and have the interest and often the skill to do so.
Any car can be improved. Or more aptly put, tuned to the desires of the owner. So the question is really whether you'll be able to leave things as-is. Given that you've already mod'ed your current ride, I suspect we know the answer

Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future

The GT3 is at a much more significant price point over the 997S even when the S is modded. Now I'm not talking about all the Porsche options that you can add to an S to get the price into the 100k range, what I am talking about is a base car and performance upgrades. I would love to have a GT3, but to be honest I stretched to get the S.

Dave

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Bingo. I've done far more work, and put far more (nonrecoverable) money in to my CS Cab. When I first bought the car, I had not driven an interesting car in many, many years and purchased a mid-mileage car to get (what I thought at the time) a reasonable price (in retrospect I could have done better with more research). What I didn't expect is just how much joy I got from driving the car (a cab in the Bay Area doesn't hurt either) and how well it's designed to accept changes and enhancements. I've had fun doing it alone, and had some great bonding experiences with my 19 year-old when he's home from school - both wrenching it together and sharing his enjoyment in driving it. I've never seen him happier - which makes for a happy dad.
If I had to do it all over it again, I might have been more choosey with my selection, but don't regret buying a used car. Had I known how much fun I would have with the car, I would have considered a GT3, but forgoing a cab in these here parts would be tough to do.
All of these experiences have compelled me to plan on building an Ultima CanAm next time around. Great build experience, wicked fast car, and a convertible. Some day soon I hope. I'll never sell this car though. So I'll need a bit more space to add the project car.

Verde, Yes, well put. My past experiences has shown that by the time I do spend all the money to do all the mods trying to make my (insert racing vehicle here) better, I could have just purchased the more expensive car build for what my goal was, more speed on the track! I am fooling myself, if I bought a GT3, I would be lurking on that forum on how they mod their cars!!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
lakercarrera is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gray911
I won't be modding my Porsche anytime soon since I consider the car a big mod for me since I previously drove a Camry. I will push it to the limit stock for the next 2-3 years then I will consider mods!

PS. But I did replace it with clear side markers.

Vic
thats funny I went from a grey camry hybrid to a c2 also