997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche outdoor car cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
lazvek is infamous around these parts
Porsche outdoor car cover?

Hey everyone,

I just took went out and fired up my '08 997S this morning for the first time in 4 months. The good news is that it started right up even though there was no trickle charger. Bad news is that it appears that there are a bunch of scratches near the rear bumber that were definitely not there in the fall when I put the car away.

Have any of you that use the Porsche factory cover for winter storage ever noticed anything like this? I'm thinking that I need a better cover for winter hibernation than this. It doesnt appear to be very forgiving.

Is there some unwritten folklore that the factory covers are complete garbage? What is the general consensus on covers? Frankly, I'm a little annoyed that I need to buff down the bumpers of my new car like this... What is everyone using to cover their cars over the winter?

I am about ready to toss this thing in he garbage...

Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
How did the cover scratch the car? Did something rub the cover back and forth? Simple contact would not do it.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 AM
ariarec is infamous around these parts
I had the same Porsche outdoor cover and after winter hibernation the cover caused the same scratches on my rear bumper. My dealer fixed the scratches and Porsche North America took back the cover when I explained the situation. I went this winter with no cover. I am much happier with that result.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
I have an In-Door Cover .. and it's very Smooth .. What is the Inner Lining of the OutDoor Cover made of ?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Outdoor cover...

... seems to have no lining. It looks like just rubbing it against the paint may have caused this. Is the indoor cover actually soft?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Unless you can park your car in a spot that is completely out of any wind at all - ever, a car cover outdoors is not normally a very good idea. Even the slighest bit of dirt will turn the car cover into sandpaper. And even if the car is spotless and the cover perfectly clean when you put it on, wind can blow dust and dirt up under any loose areas and start sanding your paint.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I actually used the outdoor cover in the garage, but you are right. If I left it outside, it probably would be better off uncovered. The cover appears to be made of a coated nylon/plastic fabric. I would have tought that the side touching the paint would be made of something... errr.. fluffier.

It sounds like my car isn't the only victim of this thing. Anyone have a good non-OEM cover that they use? Where did you get it?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 AM
997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice
I use autobody armor from coverking. Pretty soft material inside and water resistant outside. Inside material is just like indoor cover. I agree that the covering a car will likely put more tiny scratches but it's pretty dusty where I park and I'll have to wash the car pretty frequently. I chose the lesser of 2 evils. Also prevents bird poop off. I figure bird poop is a lot worse than tiny swirls marks where the cover rubs a little. My cover fits pretty tight and the cover has little stretch in it. It shrinks down to get a pretty tight fit without dragging too much across the car. It didn't move with pretty high winds outside. I just polish the car yearly and it stays pretty swirl free between polishes.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
I never think outdoor covers are a good idea........that is to say storing a car out of doors with a cover installed is likely to cause more issues than it prevents.

Covers are great for keeping a freshly washed, garage parked car clean b/w the time you have just finished detailing it and the next time you drive it and for providing some small degree of scratch and ding protection from items being moved around the car while parked......such as kids taking bikes in and out of the garage or my wife carrying groceries in through the garage.

So.....I use a Duststop cover on a freshly washed vehicle that has not been driven since being washed other than to pull it in to the garage and never put a cover on a car that hasn't been freshly washed.

Based on the OP and another responder having identical issues with this cover your issues may be related to the cover itself, but I see folks mis-using covers all the time so thought I'd point out the only real/correct way to use a cover without damaging your paint.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 03-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Totally agree on cover use. The one other case that I use it for is winter storage. Leaving a covered car outdoors for extended periods is a mistake. A friend of mine had an paint oxidation problem from this. Apparently, covers end up keeping moisture on the paint rather than letting it dry off.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
I only use a cover when the car is newly washed and:
- it's going to be sitting in the garage or
- it's going to sit outside in the sun at work all day.

A simple cotton cover is fine. Left on in wind and weather, covers, bras, etc., often do more harm than nothing at all. Regular washing & waxing is often better than a cover.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
CAG64 is infamous around these parts
I used to be a cover freak, until I started noticing small scratches from the damn thing. I just wash, polish, and wax the car more.