997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help with Braille battery installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Help with Braille battery installation

I recently purchased a Braille lightweight battery (model 3121). I took a look at installing it in my car and was stumped. It is not at all clear what the best way is to do the install - all the more surprising in that it's sealed and can be placed in any configuration. I purchased the 3121 aluminum bracket but it does not easily fit on the existing tray with the stock cables being able to reach the terminals.
I was wondering if anyone's done this? And if so, any tips or photos?
Of course, I should have checked this first, but the Braille folks assure me that this would work. But it's clearly not as straightforward as implied.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
I had to mod the bracket quite a bit and install a new longer ground cable.

The battery is very strong. Car even started after sitting for 2 weeks.

Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh, this is extremely helpful. Did you attach it to the forward bulkhead (is that the fuel tank?)? Or did you modify the bracket to put L-brackets on the (new) bottom and screw it down to the battery tray?
Many thanks for the help.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I thru bolted the bracket to the battery tray. The tray is actually the cover access to the top of the fuel tank. I also had to make a tab to secure the top of the battery to the bracket.

Not pictured is a thick neoprene pad which the battery sits on to isolate it from vibration.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
When you say 'thru bolted', you removed the tray and bolted it in? Or you sheet screwed it in? If the former, are there any issues with removing the tray (i.e. might the tray bolts 'drop out' (I doubt it but just checking)? You cut off the left and right flanges it appears, so it's supported only by the tray attachment and leaning against the forward bulkhead, right?
BTW, again, many thanks. I was just not sure what was a safe attachment point so I was hesitant to begin cutting.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes, removed tray and used countersunk bolts with nuts behind. It was tricky getting it in but it worked. The battery does rest against the front bulkhead with some rubber padding to isolate it.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 AM
By the way, what is the extra wire that bolts to the negative ground cable? i.e what does it do?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
By the way, what is the extra wire that bolts to the negative ground cable? i.e what does it do?
No idea what the wire does but there is a nice place to attach it to on the battery terminal. (see top pics)

Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Some of the configurations I was cooking up yesterday required me to extend it. Looks like you didn't have to.

Originally Posted by machina
No idea what the wire does but there is a nice place to attach it to on the battery terminal. (see top pics)

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I had to mod the bracket quite a bit and install a new longer ground cable.

The battery is very strong. Car even started after sitting for 2 weeks.
Really nice install! Thanks for the information it is very helpful.

If installing a battery like this in a car that is only used infrequently - would you think you would have to use anything besides a normal trickle charger?

Seems like this kind of battery would be ideal for occasional use cars.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Done - thank you

Thank you 'machina' for your comments and photos. Helped a lot - not only 'how' to do it but convincing me that it was possible 'to' do it. BTW, this is a Braille 3121c lightweight battery. Not a 5.5lb fuel cell design, but 21 lbs which is quite a bit less than the stock one. That said, I only did it for the fun of the project. I surely don't need a 20-30lb reduction in gross weight.
I took your design and amended it a bit. For reasons too complex to explain, I had a Braille top bracket along with the metal bracket so I used both to build the fixture.
I kept the flanges (originally designed to be used to bolt the battery 'down' but now forward facing) and trimmed them at the top and bottom. Then I added some grommets/bumpers to tidy up the area where the bracket comes in contact with the forward bulkhead.
The goal of this project was to do it in such a way that it was all reversible. That is, if I wanted to put the car back to stock, there would be no holes, tabs, etc. left. The only spot that was violated was in the four small holes in the battery pan. But I could always replace the pan if that was necessary.
I also hardwired in the Braille charger harness so that I could just connect it easily and safely if the car had been sitting around. Finally, I left a pull strap under the battery so it would be easy to pull it up and out if required.
OBTW, I found out what the wire is. Think of it as the 'bourgeois' wire. Powers the electric windows, and a variety of other ancillary electrics and electronics. I have no idea why it is separate from the main 'bus'.
Again, many thanks. Pix below:

Attached Images     

Last edited by Verde; 03-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:38 PM
nice job, you just forgot to turn the braille sticker around

Old 03-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Hah. I'm so OCD, I really did think about turning it. Wow, I just looked. Did you turn it?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Hah. I'm so OCD, I really did think about turning it. Wow, I just looked. Did you turn it?
Yah mon.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Wait here, I'll be right back...

Yah mon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with Braille battery installation