997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Justification of Bypass exhaust prices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Good explanation Alex!
Thanks and anytime!
Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks Alex...good business explaination.
Cheers mdrums and anytime you have questions by all means guys
Originally Posted by John156e
alex id have to agree. i try to tell my customers this on the reg but people at the end of the day are just going to see the finished product and say huh? greek this is from another greek. it is what it is. now its your opt to choose to buy fabspeed or local muffler shop.
Hi John, you're right there's a lot that goes into it. For example all the x-pipes, dynos, sound tests and time/materials to build the ones we didn't even make
Originally Posted by Lockie
Sold, Alex I would like to buy a set. I am going away to Birmingham for the Porsche Driving School this weekend and will contact you upon my Return.....save a set for me.
Hey Lockie, thanks for the kind words and I'll set one aside and enjoy the Porsche Driving School. A couple of locals just did it and have been raving about it- sounds like so much fun!
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Greek -if I had a 997.2 I would put his exhaust on the car . Even though I have never met Alex and live on the other side of the map I have always been impressed with his work . Take some time to look at some of the photographs of the installation as well as read the posts of so many here who respect his ability to make these cars special .

As for price -many of the European parts cost a lot more -- I have bought many for my car . You can choose to leave the car stock and never know what you could have had or you can jump in and customize your car enhancing its place in your heart as a lifetime memory .

It's all up to you .
Cheers yrallis you're too kind! I've followed your build with much interest (and respect since you've done it _right_).
Originally Posted by The Greek
Ok, I think I am giving off the wrong impression with the thread. I wasnt trying to be cheap at all, nor was I saying that the work the tuners do was not worth the price. I just made the thread to get the opinions of what fellow members though about the bypass pipes. You see so many times where products that were made for higher end cars have a higher price tag, but not always is that because the product was difficult to produce.

When it comes to header systems, full exhaust systems, intakes, especially ECU's, and other assorted items, I would never question the work that goes into those items, nor the price that accompanied them. But if your going to say that bypass pipes and the products I listed above require the same R&D, then I would have to say I respectively disagree. Anyway, its all a moot point now, as I am probably going to purchase the pipes soon. Dont want the car to loud, and with the limited choices of full header/exhaust kits right now for the 997.2, the center delete is a perfect mod for me. Thanks again for all your posts guys. Also much respect for Alex from Sharkwerks to take the time to explain the process. I'll post some vid's up of the exhaust when I call Alex to order them.
Hey Greek, thanks again for the kind words and I'm only too happy to answer any questions you guys have We'll have them here if/when you're ready.

In terms of the R&D (the initial outlay for the car too don't forget) there was actually a good bit that went into it that one can't see (I could do a better cost-analysis thread). For example, all the different ones we built (including X-pipes etc...) and tried (dyno/sound testing as well) that didn't make the grade:P We also tried side deletes etc... I think the one we settled on was the right one in the end because there's just no resonance and for those that want it louder they can always use it with side mufflers too. We're happy it made a bit of power too. I think the only way for us to shoot for a lower cost though is if we make a lot, lot more (only 10-20 at a time makes it considerably more expensive).

The tuning process was certainly fun and if you haven't yet seen it:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2009-997s.html

Last edited by sharkster; 03-31-2009 at 11:03 AM.