997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Removed rear seat backs....wow they are heavy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
So I recently purchased a set of supposed "front" SY seat belts on eBay. I got the belts last Thursday and decided to install them the next day. I was kind of excited to do this simple esthetic mod. so I just dove right in. I removed the Bose bass box from the rear deck. and pulled the drivers side rear panel off to expose the seat belt. Mind you, this took me about an hour since I had to figure out how to remove the panel as I had never done it before.

Once I had the panel out I started to remove the belt itself and quickly noticed that the mechanism to attach the stock belt looked quite different than the new SY belts. I suddenly realized that the SY belts from eBay were not the front belts as they were advertised, but were rear belts. Needless to say, I was not too happy.

So instead of throwing tools across the garage I decided to make the time I spent removing the panel worth while. I decided to remove the rear seat backs. I also tucked the rear seat belts away to hide them instead of removing them completely. Once I had the rear seat back out of the car, I noticed how heavy they were. They have to weigh at least thirty pounds total (although I have not weighed them as of yet).

So if you are looking to save some weight, and would like some instruction on how to remove your rear seats, just let me know

P.S. I can also provide info on how to remove and replace front seat belts as well. It's not as hard as I thought it would be.
Congratulations on lightning your car. Most people load up these cars with heavy doodads. More power to you!

Could you post some pics of your interior without the rear seats? TIA

Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Congratulations on lightning your car. Most people load up these cars with heavy doodads. More power to you!

Could you post some pics of your interior without the rear seats? TIA
Thanks! Yeah, I will get some pics up as soon as I get a chance to snap some. Hopefully by Friday.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I always thought about removing the rear seats...did not know they weighed that much. Out they come this weekend!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
I always thought about removing the rear seats...did not know they weighed that much. Out they come this weekend!

Nice!! It's easy to do and not only does it save weight, but I think it looks cleaner with just the carpeting.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I would think it would be the RS wing, but the factory one. I don't know how much the rep RS wings would weigh, but GMG may have that info.
Looks like GMG has a GT3 replica that is 50% lighter, not sure how that compares to an RS wing. The RS wing is pretty massive, I think i prefer the slightly smaller GT3 wing:

GMG GT3 replica

Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ryans4
Looks like GMG has a GT3 replica that is 50% lighter, not sure how that compares to an RS wing. The RS wing is pretty massive, I think i prefer the slightly smaller GT3 wing:

GMG GT3 replica

I think they may be referring to the wing blade itself being 50% lighter, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
here are two shots with no seat bottom/back and seat belts still installed:

Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I believe Synergy Racing makes the lightest GT3 wings thus far. It's all CF. There was a thread on this with Blakout's car.

Originally Posted by ryans4
on the topic of this thread, who makes the lightest rear wing/decklid?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
That does look much cleaner. I wonder if I can put my little daughters' car seats back there now and take them for a spin...

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Great question - How usable are the rear seats in general after this mod?

Can they still be used (albeit uncomfortably) to carry passengers in a pinch for a short trip? Or is it illegal without seat backs and bottoms?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
..that's why I keep my kids playskool tools in the garage. On more than one occasion, I flung the yellow hammer across the garage !!!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
+1. Please post a DIY.
Originally Posted by strife_wy
Was it difficult to remove the rear seats? If you could post a DIY that'd be great

30lbs seems like a lot to be lugging around, especially in the rear of the car...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
in my opinion, it's not a whole lot less comfortable. You have a bit less back support up top (and no cushion), but i think it's more than suitable in a pinch. With seat belts on, the passenger(s) back there aren't going to go far.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Now that I've seen your pictures of how clean it makes it look, I am seriously contemplating it!! Thanks for posting.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Here are some (crappy) shots I took of the rear seat delete:

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removed rear seat backs....wow they are heavy!