997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Removed rear seat backs....wow they are heavy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
Looks good. Not only I'd be saving a few pounds, and helping with that awkward front/back weight distribution but it looks like the seats are still useable.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
wing

Originally Posted by ryans4
on the topic of this thread, who makes the lightest rear wing/decklid?
Best looking wing I've ever seen is the new Vorsteiner, and it's cheap (relatively). Go to SuncoastParts.com (or 941 923 1700) and ask for Aaron.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stardoc
Looks good. Not only I'd be saving a few pounds, and helping with that awkward front/back weight distribution but it looks like the seats are still useable.
They have about the same level of usefulness, none IMO!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
in my opinion, it's not a whole lot less comfortable. You have a bit less back support up top (and no cushion), but i think it's more than suitable in a pinch. With seat belts on, the passenger(s) back there aren't going to go far.
So I just did this little mod

The whole job took 15 mins... unfortunately the plastic tab in the center was a lot harder to remove in my car and I ended up breaking one of the retaining clips inside... can't see it from the outside so it's not all bad

The seat backs are surprisingly heavy... definitely a good 20-25lbs if not more... the seat bottoms weigh less than a 500ml bottle of water so I kept them in (I actually found a few full bottles under the passenger seat so I removed those instead for some added weight reduction

And just like you said Ryan the rear seats actually feel MORE comfortable to me after removing the backs lol

Overall a great DIY... anyone not considering this should keep in mind that the plexiglass window provides a weight savings of only 6.6lbs but costs $1300 while this mod is free and (to me) has virtually no downsides... thanks to ///MJFDDS for the great idea

Last edited by strife_wy; 04-01-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Good point on the rear seats, they are no worse, just heavy. And at 6lbs or so for the Plexiglass, that's no way worth the money and install. Go with bypass pipes, they are loud for certain, but the PSE mufflers were not light at all. More low cost weight savings.

I think the next step is removing the decklid w/ motorized wing and going with a GT3 knock off. Misha911's replica is 20lbs and a great price. The Synergy full carbon one is unreal at 8lbs. , but at 4500, that's tough.

Still looking for pictures of the Vorsteiner mentioned above, anyone have pricing and weight on that?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
I gotta do all the work?

VorSteiner

Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I finally got around to removing my rear sea backs tonight.

What do you all do with the seat belts...remove them?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I left mine in, too much of a PIA to remove, weight is minimal.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
CaymanSteve is infamous around these parts
very clean looking

Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mdrums
What do you all do with the seat belts...remove them?
I just left them in and buckled them both so they don't bang around...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
I think I need that wing!

Originally Posted by tejoe
VorSteiner

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about

Not sure where to go next on the car for weight, already running no mufflers (those I'm guessing were about 20lbs each).
Have you thought about doing a CF roof? I think it's good for about 45lbs, if you can live without the sunroof.

I am seriously considering it. Anyone done it?

see it here : http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml

Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
If anyone has questions about the Vorsteiner wing or GT3 seats please feel free to give us a call or shoot me a pm.

Our GT3 seats are going up in price, so please do not hesitate.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
Not bad....

Originally Posted by strife_wy
Great question - How usable are the rear seats in general after this mod?

Can they still be used (albeit uncomfortably) to carry passengers in a pinch for a short trip? Or is it illegal without seat backs and bottoms?
So, to answer the question about the rear seat area being usable after the seats are removed, the answer is ABSOLUTELY! It is slightly uncomfortable for a long trip, but because you can sink deeper into the body of the car, it's actually better for your legs and general roominess. I have taken my friend's girlfriend in the back on driving runs with us, and she has been in the backseat for as long as two hours without complaining too much! She is about 5'7 130lbs..(give or take, it's my friend's girl so I don't pay too much attention. haha!)

O

Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by surfingbuddhist
Have you thought about doing a CF roof? I think it's good for about 45lbs, if you can live without the sunroof.

I am seriously considering it. Anyone done it?

see it here : http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml

I will be undertaking the carbon fiber roof come April. I never use the sunroof so that wasn't any issue in consideration. The biggest problem I'm having is deciding whether or not to leave the weave naked or have it painted (black car). ...it's an issue, cause if you have a carbon fiber roof, then you haaaave to get the carbon fiber mirrors and hood (though the hood would be painted to keep it from looking too tunery. Any opinions on painting vs. non-painting of the roof panel?

Regards,

Alex

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removed rear seat backs....wow they are heavy!