997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Renewed ECU Flash debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjh911
I have pretty much decided to spend the money for mods for my 997.2 C2 on modifying me. I can't drive the car to 5% of its potential. So I need to learn how to drive it. Then I will start modding it........except for the clear side markers of course.
I can totally understand that approach. A faster driver = a faster car. A faster car does not = a faster driver necessarily But it can be more fun nonetheless...

Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I am not interested in the dyno debate. Without an independent verification entity, anyone can say anything. I can fart and lose an inch around my waist. So what.

I want to know what people have experienced.
CATTMAN
I think of all the flashes you listed, EVOMSit is the only one where you can talk to a programmer and change parameters to your liking...all the others are pre-packaged programs.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Lets just say that Softronic had another 997S that was flashed, had a plenum installed and an intake system added. This car yielded 25ftlbs less in torque up to 5500 rpm and 30 less hp than just the stock car with our flash.

This car was then put to all stock and just flashed with Softronic for more gains than the extra 1400.00 in Hot air intakes and plenums added. We didnt even charge for the extra switching unit.

Im always availible to further discuss on the phone.

Best,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I think of all the flashes you listed, EVOMSit is the only one where you can talk to a programmer and change parameters to your liking...all the others are pre-packaged programs.

I think that Softronic is one of the only flashes that are actually customized as per the vehicle. Then again Softonic has all the attributes in a smart flash. Should you delete the cats for racing? Its already in the flash. Should you delete the secondary air? Its already in the flash and so on.

A tuner can incorporate all these and many more features in one flash rather than make up and charge for multiple ones.

Best regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Been researching flashes lately. With my current mods of plenum, AH pipes and KN intake I'm getting a verified +26hp / +28tq to the wheels over stock. Mostly I just want to optimize everything and get rid of the sloggy egas pedal (quicker input sensitivity). I don't think I have a whole lot left to gain on the HP side.

In researching, I've spoken to REVO and they explained how they approach the adjustment parameters and the process they use to create their tunes in-house. Plus they are able to set the e-gas throttle sensitivity to personal preferences on a scale of 1 to 9. That is great because we all know how sloggy the egas pedal input is and a 'blip' is more like a 'mash' to rev-match on downshift.

Sharkwerks posted quite a comprehensive thread here on EVO's tuning and their operation with custom tuning pcars to spec in-house, plus they can also dial in added egas pedal sensitivity to preference.

Both places were kind enough to invite me down to their facility if I'm ever in the area for a walk through or even bring the car in for custom tuning. Unfortunately I'm not close to either one. The only way to get a flash from EVO is to mail in the ECU. That sort of defeats the custom tuning aspect. REVO has a number of SoCal install facilities and they have a "try before you buy" option, meaning I can cruise the car with the update for a few hours to try it out. But, the only place I can get a total custom tune is from their main facility.

I like the fact that with your flash software you can load it via PC at home, very convenient. No one else seems to have this. However I really can't find much info about your facility or the extent of the software tuning parameters. Can you fill us in a bit on your operation and maybe post a few pics of your tuning facility? Are you using the same hardware setups as EVO / REVO for laying out the custom ECU flashes, e.g. Siemens writable ECUs, dyno testing / mapping computer etc? Is there a strong benefit to using the Softronic flash over the other ones?

I'm only comparing these three since they are all about the same price. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wjh911
I have pretty much decided to spend the money for mods for my 997.2 C2 on modifying me. I can't drive the car to 5% of its potential. So I need to learn how to drive it. Then I will start modding it........except for the clear side markers of course.
Wise words wjh- 1 rep point for you

Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Cattman
I am not interested in the dyno debate. Without an independent verification entity, anyone can say anything. I can fart and lose an inch around my waist. So what.

I want to know what people have experienced.
CATTMAN
You are absolutely correct about dyno's as all tuners will adjust them for what they sell etc. Some jokes are the magnets that ionize the gas for better fuel economy??? The carb that gets 300 MPG??? The vortex intake generator??? and an intake that goes the same lengths??? Hot air intake???? etc. These are all a waste of anyones money.

I will not sell any of these types of gimmicks nor do I test I say that they are part of a tune.

Please anyone give me a call for an in depth explanation other than going into any posting wars .

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Softronic
You are absolutely correct about dyno's as all tuners will adjust them for what they sell etc. Some jokes are the magnets that ionize the gas for better fuel economy??? The carb that gets 300 MPG??? The vortex intake generator??? and an intake that goes the same lengths??? Hot air intake???? etc. These are all a waste of anyones money.

I will not sell any of these types of gimmicks nor do I test I say that they are part of a tune.

Please anyone give me a call for an in depth explanation other than going into any posting wars .

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Scott I don't think anyone here participates much in posting wars anymore- most of those folks are long gone from the forum. Reading back it just sounds like good honest opinions and legitimate questions.

Since I'm still researching which flash to buy, all I'd like to know is a bit more about your shop \ facilities and in-house tuning process. Where is your performance shop located- Can folks come by for in-house tuning? Pics are always good- we like pics!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
I'm glad the site has cleaned up on what is posted , basically we have mods that sell and promote.. In any case all programming is done on a computer so I can show you all 5 of mine if you like or perhaps some of the code? Frequency Generators? Oscilloscopes? Stabilizers? Etc. After all the code is not written by the show of the shop, yet the knowledge of the individual..

Thank you for the inquiry, now if you want to look at a shop I can show that yet it has no meaning of how or what a flash is written on.

I should clarify that Softronic offers Worldwide in house tuning since we can data log and send files over the internet.

Best,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 04-06-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
I would suggest once again that any member of this site call me personally for ANY information that they like.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm glad the site has cleaned up on what is posted , basically we have mods that sell and promote.. In any case all programming is done on a computer so I can show you all 5 of mine if you like or perhaps some of the code? Frequency Generators? Oscilloscopes? Stabilizers? Etc. After all the code is not written by the show of the shop, yet the knowledge of the individual.. No I do not use Byteshooter or WinOls like the others that have posted as proprietory....

Thank you for the inquiry, now if you want to look at a shop I can show that yet it has no meaning of how or what a flash is written on.

I should clarify that Softronic offers Worldwide in house tuning since we can data log and send files over the internet.

Best,
Scott

Kind of baffled by the sarcasm response, but you have my apologies if I said something off-base. To clarify, I was looking for more detailed info on your product and business before dropping $$, and I have not asked anything different of you than I have of the other vendors I've researched.

Look at it from my side as Joe consumer-I don't know much about your company or product. Other than 6speed and your website I can't find much independent history / info on your product when searching Google. There is no business address on your softronic.us website, or information on Softronic's facilities / business history / tuning process / experience with pcars. The only pics on your website gallery are of a Cayman engine. You're here and are the apparent owner of the business, and as an interested consumer / enthusiast / fellow 6speeder I asked you directly for info because (1) I am interested in your product and (2) I could not find the info otherwise and (3) the info you post here will help other 6speed members who are researching your product.

I completely agree that individual talent is more important than the facility itself- however from a consumer perspective (especially when dropping a grand on something that modifies the ECU of your expensive and still-under-warranty pcar), the facility itself does lend a fair amount of product credibility by showing company investment and stake in the product being manufactured/sold, as well as establishment and history of the business. Your website says Softronic is a Corporation in CT and has worldwide mfg / sales, so I thought it might be nice of you to post up some pics of your company facility / lab and maybe share some insight on how you create the performance modifications. I'm sure others here would enjoy seeing this and it will only help your sales..

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I had a GIAC flash on my 997S (before the SC), also installed were TUBI exhaust and IPD manifold. No before / after dynos though, but I did not "feel" the difference. I would agree a flash that is customized with other mods should result in better numbers. But I think a flash that allows you to take advantage of 93% octane or better gas is best. But if you REALLY want to "feel" the car the way I and others think it should be - keep the ECU stock and supercharge it.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Softronic combined with X-51 headers and AWE 200 cell cats is remarkably strong. The difference is immediately noticeable, the car pulls with force that an unmodded 997S cannot duplicate.

As for actual hp increase, that is hard to say as dynos are indeed unreliable.

I will also say, that paying $1000 for Softronic, $500 for headers, $1,500 for cats happened for me after reading and researching these boards. I never once saw a negative remark on the combination.

Scott has been great, is one of the more knowledgeable tuners around and is completely accessible.

Assume we max out at 30 additional hp, I've spent $100 per hp. As another poster has said, modding these cars is not for the faint of heart.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Lets just say that Softronic had another 997S that was flashed, had a plenum installed and an intake system added. This car yielded 25ftlbs less in torque up to 5500 rpm and 30 less hp than just the stock car with our flash.

This car was then put to all stock and just flashed with Softronic for more gains than the extra 1400.00 in Hot air intakes and plenums added. We didnt even charge for the extra switching unit.

Im always availible to further discuss on the phone.

Best,
Scott Slauson
If a post like this does not start a "posting war" nothing will

Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
screamingelvi is infamous around these parts
Let me start with I do not work for Softronic, I have no financial interest in them and I haven't even ordered a product from them (was ready to purchase the Cayman S Race Plenum and Flash last year, but unexpected bills came up).

I talked to Scott a couple times on the phone and it was clear he was extremely knowledgable and proud about his products. In the past he didn't even put horsepower claims on his flashes even though he knew they made more power (on his website or even on the Caymanclub site and more).

For those of you that don't know Scott, he was the PCA Tech Advisor for the Cayman, Boxster and Carrera GT answering questions on the PCA website for quite a while, plus I believe he developed the software to help sniff out ECU tunes for the PCA Driving Events to ensure there was no cheating.

I am not trying to stir the pot or say don't question his credentials I just figured I would state what information I know about him.