997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Renewed ECU Flash debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Renewed ECU Flash debate

Gents,
I know that it's been debated already, but I'd like a FRESH take on the topic.

-SOFTRONIC (website claims 34hp on 997s)
-UPSOLUTE (website claims 30hp on 997s)
-REVO (website claims 15-25hp on 997s)
-FVD (website claims 15hp on 997s)
-GIAC (website claims 10-20hp on 997s
-EVOMS (website claims 10hp on 997s)

Based on the data from each vendor's website, Softronic would be a no-brainer. But I'm skeptical. So:
What do you know, what can you confirm?

Specifically, I am looking to re-falsh my ECU (original was a custom job, done by a guy in Germany who builds the programs for Porsche). I want one that takes into account my mods, and is not just a generic run of the mill, all cars treated equally program. Please note if you send in the ECU vs. go to a shop to have it done while on a dyno.

Let's hear it!
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 04-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey cattman, I can't speak for anyone else but having owned/modded so many NA Porsches I can tell you that 35HP is a lot of power to gain from an NA motor. And achieving that software alone doesn't seem especially likely? I mean if that was the case the X-51 upgrade from Porsche (in the 35hp mark) would be just a flash To put this in perspective we built our 997GT3RS motor from 3.6 to 3.8 and even with some tricks and tuning we got an additional 45-48hp from it. So yes the EVOMSit flash we install/sells adds 10hp or and better throttle response but not 35

The process for how we tuned our 997S is here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2009-997s.html

Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I agree, gaining 34 hp on a 997S via software alone seems highly unlikely, yet take a look at the published claims of each vendor. They publish those figures. They're liable for those results.

One of these days I swear I am going to start a Consumer Reports for Porsche mods.
CATTMAN

Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I agree, gaining 34 hp on a 997S via software alone seems highly unlikely, yet take a look at the published claims of each vendor. They publish those figures. They're liable for those results.

One of these days I swear I am going to start a Consumer Reports for Porsche mods.
CATTMAN
I hear you Cattman I'll re-iterate what I said above and I can safely say you'll get 10hp (and better throttle response too) from the EVOMSit flash but never 34hp;P

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

CATTMAN
I know I'm about to open a can of worms...but my only advice to you is this:

Do not get caught up in the dyno game.

You can potentially get a chassis dyno to show ANYTHING. Change the conditions of the dyno and the curve can potentially show anything.

There...I've said it. Lightning bolts haven't struck me down yet.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I am not interested in the dyno debate. Without an independent verification entity, anyone can say anything. I can fart and lose an inch around my waist. So what.

I want to know what people have experienced.
CATTMAN

Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I had GIAC on my first 997, I found that it provided no noticable gain. Saying that I would assume that the 10 hp is probably very accurate. If the gains were to be worth while, I would have a flash for sure.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I don't see the wisdom of any generic 997/S ecu flash on a NA modded engine. The only thing it coud reliably do is optimize for 93 octane gas imo. You would need to dyno it to prove that any perceived gains were not just due to throttle remapping ala sport chrono and we all know that insanity lies in that direction. I'm leaning towards not...

Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I am not interested in the dyno debate. Without an independent verification entity, anyone can say anything. I can fart and lose an inch around my waist. So what.

I want to know what people have experienced.
CATTMAN
Catt,
I will go with Softronic when ready, only 4 ease of the flash. And I agree with shark that the hp is bumped. I think a big bump would be SC. I noticed you have 1 on deck?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:42 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I had a GIAC reflash done on a 997S, which already had AWE headers, catalytics, mufflers & Evo airbox. Tested on AWE's Mustang dyno. Went from 314 rwhp to 321 rwhp. I think a "stand alone" claim of 10rwhp is reasonable.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MichaelL
I had a GIAC reflash done on a 997S, which already had AWE headers, catalytics, mufflers & Evo airbox. Tested on AWE's Mustang dyno. Went from 314 rwhp to 321 rwhp. I think a "stand alone" claim of 10rwhp is reasonable.
At $1000 for the flash, that is $140 per Hp!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey cattman, I can't speak for anyone else but having owned/modded so many NA Porsches I can tell you that 35HP is a lot of power to gain from an NA motor. And achieving that software alone doesn't seem especially likely? I mean if that was the case the X-51 upgrade from Porsche (in the 35hp mark) would be just a flash To put this in perspective we built our 997GT3RS motor from 3.6 to 3.8 and even with some tricks and tuning we got an additional 45-48hp from it. So yes the EVOMSit flash we install/sells adds 10hp or and better throttle response but not 35

The process for how we tuned our 997S is here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2009-997s.html
I think the X51 has a revised mapping as part of the package.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I think the X51 has a revised mapping as part of the package.
Absolutely it does but it has a lot more than just a flash

Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
As a general caution for anyone aiming to increase rear wheel horsepower for a normally aspirated late model Porsche, the unit cost per horsepower will be very high and may not pass the test of being reasonable. The cost of modifications will most likely not be reflected in resale price and may, in some cases, reduce the resale price.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:41 PM
wjh911 is infamous around these partswjh911 is infamous around these parts
I have pretty much decided to spend the money for mods for my 997.2 C2 on modifying me. I can't drive the car to 5% of its potential. So I need to learn how to drive it. Then I will start modding it........except for the clear side markers of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renewed ECU Flash debate