997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pics of 997's with front plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Pics of 997's with front plates

I can't believe that I've just been ticketed, the third time now, in a span of 5 months for not having a front plate...and my 997S is not even a daily. While I can complain about the requirement of a front plate, it is still the law...and until that's changed...there's obviously very little I could do.

Though I've heard others comment on how they would rather pay the ticket than to drill holes on the front bumper, this constant fine is getting a little old. Further, it is getting on my nerves how most manufacturers had decided to ignore the design integration of front license plates, while knowing full well its requirements in most jurisdictions. IMO, Audi has done a great job in this area.

So, now that I'm thinking of putting a front plate on...either drilling holes for the plate to be centered in the middle, or the tow hook solution...do you guys have good pics of 997's with plates on? Post them up if you got them! I'd really like to see some nice 997 pics with plates on.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
This is something you should definitely check out! Motorized front plate holder. Keep it hidden while you drive, hit the button if you get pulled over, and just say "what do you mean officer? My plate is on."

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...7732841d0e60af

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
This is something you should definitely check out! Motorized front plate holder. Keep it hidden while you drive, hit the button if you get pulled over, and just say "what do you mean officer? My plate is on."

haha...nice! I'll certainly consider that.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I was pulled over twice in 10 minutes last summer, and I just had one installed and sucked it up. I have gotten use to it, but still prefer the plain bumper.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
^^^ Great shots, NorthVan997C2S!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1

I do not think this will work on a 997.1 and even less on a 997.2 without major front bumper surgery.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
Geez, this is not good news for me. Awaiting arrival of my C4S in Maryland also and not planning to mount the plate either, already bought the moweraxle solution !!! Planning to also get illegal tint so this may be a problem and I guess I should reconsider permanently mounting the plate.

Originally Posted by GTSilver997
I can't believe that I've just been ticketed, the third time now, in a span of 5 months for not having a front plate...and my 997S is not even a daily. While I can complain about the requirement of a front plate, it is still the law...and until that's changed...there's obviously very little I could do.

Though I've heard others comment on how they would rather pay the ticket than to drill holes on the front bumper, this constant fine is getting a little old. Further, it is getting on my nerves how most manufacturers had decided to ignore the design integration of front license plates, while knowing full well its requirements in most jurisdictions. IMO, Audi has done a great job in this area.

So, now that I'm thinking of putting a front plate on...either drilling holes for the plate to be centered in the middle, or the tow hook solution...do you guys have good pics of 997's with plates on? Post them up if you got them! I'd really like to see some nice 997 pics with plates on.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
I've been living in Maryland since 2003 and driving in all of MD, VA and DC on a regular basis. Most of that in a BMW 330i with no front plate, and since Jan in a C4S aerokit with no front plate.

The only ticket I've ever received for no front plate was...while parked...at a paid up meter... in DC (and my car has MD plates).

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by porscheman1963
Geez, this is not good news for me. Awaiting arrival of my C4S in Maryland also and not planning to mount the plate either, already bought the moweraxle solution !!! Planning to also get illegal tint so this may be a problem and I guess I should reconsider permanently mounting the plate.
I don't know if you've noticed that there are a LOT of cops out lately? Specifically talking about southern Maryland, even more so...

I’ve moved to this area not too long ago. I have not experienced this level of “supervision” even compared to California. It’s getting increasingly difficult to even enjoy my car.

Good luck with your C4S though...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by CMOS
I've been living in Maryland since 2003 and driving in all of MD, VA and DC on a regular basis. Most of that in a BMW 330i with no front plate, and since Jan in a C4S aerokit with no front plate.

The only ticket I've ever received for no front plate was...while parked...at a paid up meter... in DC (and my car has MD plates).
I have no doubt that you're right...but, I guess that I've just been unlucky...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Another option to consider is something I did on my Audi S4 years ago. It had an Oettinger front bumper which is very agressive and there was no way I would drill holes in it! So this is what I did:

Go to Home Depot. In the hardware aisle, they sell the long pieces of flat aluminum that measure maybe 1/8" thick, by 1" wide, by about 2 feet long. I cut two sections of the aluminum and made a L shaped bracket out of each. Drilled a hole in each where the plate could attach, then a hole on the opposite end. Now, on the lower front lip of the car, I drilled two small holes in an inconspicuous location that could be reached from above and below. I mounted the L shaped brackets with the license plate attached using wing-nuts. This way, it could be removed or put back on within a few minutes no noticeable signs of modification to the bumper.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Its not just the cops in LA, the meter maids hand out "no front plate" tix left and right out here....Still I like the "smooth bumper no plate" look so I risk it....

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
can't recall if it was in this forum, but there was a thread on a company that utilized the front bumper hole to mount the front plate, no drilling required. i thought it was a neat idea but seeing in pictures it looked a little off since the plate wasn't centered.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Here's mine with dealer plates

The black bracket the dealer put on helps it integrate better.

Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Here is the tow hook plate. I actually get complements on it.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics of 997's with front plates