997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Talk me down please... Matte Black wrap...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Talk me down please... Matte Black wrap...

I just hung up the phone with a reputable car wrap company and considering a matte black wrap...... Just always loved that look.... my CPO is up in aug 2010 so I know I am keeping the car till then (through two more summers) and maybe beyond... a full repaint I would never do but a wrap would satisy my urges and still removed if needed at time of sale.

If you encourage me to do it cause you want to see pics, I understand as this would be my reply as well....

waiting for a call back from the installer to talk about succesful application over my 3m bra that runs hood, fenders, mirrors.... I will not go through with it if this needs to be removed for the install...

Thoughts? Many have seen my car in the past.... is a narrow 997, 19 Ruf Wheels refinshed in hyper silver black, hamman front chin spoiler, 997TT wing, coil overs etc...etc... I think it could look great matte black.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Red997 is a glorious beacon of lightRed997 is a glorious beacon of lightRed997 is a glorious beacon of lightRed997 is a glorious beacon of lightRed997 is a glorious beacon of lightRed997 is a glorious beacon of light
Looking for pics? Check out this older thread...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-rs-ring.html

Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
JUST DO IT!!!

Seriously, I think it would look great. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Fluffy, go for it! Fred wrapped his CGT with a matte black film, looked awesome.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Personally, I think that the matte black look is incredible, though they are a bit over done now with the tuner crowd.

How much do they charge for the work? Since this mod is reversible, but there’s no value to it after you take it off…I think that it just boils down to $.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
I say do it! You can always take it off, what are they trying to charge you?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future

3g's.... I know, I know a lot for something that won't add HP or perf, but this would be a vain mod.... all show, no go.... I already know this. No advice to take a DE course please instead with the money Over the course of another lets say 3yrs of ownership its simple 1K per year to have a truly unique ride...... lets see what they say about the 3m, if they say NO then its game over.... if they say no problemo, I maybe 3K in the hole and find myself cruisin in a matte black 997.... lets see what they come back with, if anyone knows the answer please chime in???????

Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mickfluff
waiting for a call back from the installer to talk about succesful application over my 3m bra that runs hood, fenders, mirrors.... I will not go through with it if this needs to be removed for the install...
I don't understand why you want to put the wrap over your clear bra. The wrap itself provides protection, and by removing the clear bra you won't have any lines under your wrap. From what I understand, the bra removal is no big deal.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
ball park price?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
think hard about this. it looks good from far away but look closely you'll see patches especially on curvy trims as if you wrapped your car with quilt or something. must be almost impossible to do one piece on curvy panels. flat trims it looks great as they can probably apply one piece w/o cutting. i haven't seen a 911 wrapped in this though...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
I am a firm believer of spending WHATEVER to make me happy! So, if a 3K matte black rap makes you smile for 1k a year. DO IT. I think you can find it cheaper, tell them to price match the make beleive guy for $2500....I think it can be done for under 2k in DFW! There is only 1 way to do it and it's the right way!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
threshold

Your incorrect, the vinyl cover is much thinner then then clear bra, not as protective.... also my threshold for pissing away funds for fun is near 3K.... Clear bra was near 1K, removal is such a waste, on top of waste if I move ahead....and if I ever remove the wrap and keep the car would want another clear at 1K. Thats a net 5K waste, my limit is 3K on waste, as crazy as that sounds..... but understand why you asked, hope my reply came over OK.

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I don't understand why you want to put the wrap over your clear bra. The wrap itself provides protection, and by removing the clear bra you won't have any lines under your wrap. From what I understand, the bra removal is no big deal.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
already answered

3K, as noted prior

Originally Posted by JT3
ball park price?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speedoflight
think hard about this. it looks good from far away but look closely you'll see patches especially on curvy trims as if you wrapped your car with quilt or something. must be almost impossible to do one piece on curvy panels. flat trims it looks great as they can probably apply one piece w/o cutting. i haven't seen a 911 wrapped in this though...
They can actually do some pretty incredible stuff, as a good installer would heat the material and they could form around a complex curve. I'm sure that it could be applied over the clear bra as well, though I'd really wonder why you'd want it under the new material.

I'd say go for it. I'm certain you could blow $3k on something else and not get as much enjoyment.

I only wonder how it would be to keep it clean though...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
have you seen

Thanks for the note, so you have seen flat black wraps done poorly? Have to be honest if they did a poor job I would not pay them until it was done right.... I need to ping the person with his GT3 done and see how his came out up close.....

Originally Posted by speedoflight

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Talk me down please... Matte Black wrap...