997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installed PSE but now I have a rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Quick update here. I took the car out for a drive last night and here are my observations:

The "rattle"/metallic sound/etc ONLY happens when the car is dead cold. I hadn't started the car since Friday afternoon, and when I did, the rattle (which I can now describe best as a metal fan blade that has rusted and is coming apart) was evident even at a slight throttle blip (along with the "normal" snap crackle pop sounds).

Upon pulling away from my house, the sound was there at the low end of the RPM band through 3K RPM. After traveling all of 100 yards (reving to 4k and then coming to a stop at the next light) the rattle/metallic sound went away and did not return

So, it seems like it ONLY happens when the mufflers are cold and ONLY for about the first minute after startup.

Now I'm a bit undecided as to whether there is a problem or not...as I'm not using the PSE as Porsche intended (i.e., I have the valves set at full open at all times) and I wonder if this issue would manifest itself if the valves opened and closed as per Porsche design.

I think there are a few of you out there who had their PSEs set to full open at all times, and I'd be curious to hear your collective experience.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Eddie, I have unplugged the vacuum line on my PSE system so it is in "loud" mode all of the time and I don't notice the sound you are describing. But then again, maybe it is there and I just don't hear it. If the sound goes away and is there only when the car is cold I would think it is not a problem

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 AM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Eddie, I have unplugged the vacuum line on my PSE system so it is in "loud" mode all of the time and I don't notice the sound you are describing. But then again, maybe it is there and I just don't hear it. If the sound goes away and is there only when the car is cold I would think it is not a problem
Thanks Matt. That's what I'm hoping for... but the sound is so loud it sounds like something is broken when you first drive away. I think I'll take it into Porsche on Sat as a precautionary measure...I'm also going to make a sound recording of it to play back to the service rep because, by the time I get down there, the sound will be gone...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
lakerholic - my situation is *exactly* like yours.

PSE on loud full time.

Rattles like crazy for the first couple of minutes when cold.

Not an issue when warmed up.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by lig
lakerholic - my situation is *exactly* like yours.

PSE on loud full time.

Rattles like crazy for the first couple of minutes when cold.

Not an issue when warmed up.
Wow. Well, I guess this is good news, right? How long have you had your mufflers, if I may ask?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
It's pretty common from what I recall. I thought I saw another thread either here on on Rennlist on the PSE rattle.

PSE has been on the car for about 30K miles. It's gotten a little worse as of late but it doesn't really bother me that much.

When I'm installing the cats I'll poke around to see if anything is loose. My car is CPOd and if the muffler itself is bad I'll see what the dealer has to say about it.

GL!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
take it to your dealer the night before your service appointment if possible so they can reproduce the sound in the morning. if there is a problem, maybe you'll get a new set under warranty.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Did you guys check your exhaust fluid level? Mine was a little low when I installed the Afterhours pipes.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Warn muffler bearing for sure.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by function12
Warn muffler bearing for sure.
What does this mean?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nickinohio
Did you guys check your exhaust fluid level?
Same as this.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by function12
Same as this.
Ok. Color me dense, but I don't know what that means or how to check it? And if there is a worn muffler bearing, can it be repaired/fixed with the exhaust fluid check...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
similar to the upper and lower radiator hose on the 993.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
lig
stop messing with the poor guy!

i have to go check my blinker fluid now.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
f_ckers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed PSE but now I have a rattle