997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installed PSE but now I have a rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Installed PSE but now I have a rattle - UPDATED

So, yesterday I did a self-install of a PSE (valves open, no wiring) and I have a funky rattle that I'm hoping someone could give me some guidance on:

When parked and revving, I get a very tiny sound coming from the exhaust area -- almost sounds like the heat shield is coming into contact with the mufflers -- but the thing is they're not.

When I drive off, I get the rattle for about the first 30 seconds, then it goes away and doesn't return until I'm standing still.

It's very, very odd.

I'm going to go through and re-tighten the three bolts on each side of the mufflers and check the clamps -- the two on each side are right next to each other, and I wonder if they're resonating against each other

Anyway, any thoughts anyone had would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the sound is perfect for me. It's definitely understated but a great sound nonetheless and it passed the wife test so I'm happy!

P.S. Thanks to cayenne_ksa for giving me such a great deal on the PSE! Rep points to you!

-Eddie

Last edited by lakerholic; 04-14-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
thanks man for the kind words. I'm really happy that PSE is the sound you looking for but I'm worried about that rattle. I trust that you can double check everything since you have done the installation yourself but if for any reason didn't work I will be more than happy to refund your money. Please keep me posted or PM with any updates

- Abdullah

Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
thanks man for the kind words. I'm really happy that PSE is the sound you looking for but I'm worried about that rattle. I trust that you can double check everything since you have done the installation yourself but if for any reason didn't work I will be more than happy to refund your money. Please keep me posted or PM with any updates

- Abdullah
thumbs up for your integrity

Old 04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa

- Abdullah
Thanks Abdul. Will do. Prob take it to Porsche next Saturday as my annual service is due anyway.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Way to look out for a fellow 6speeder Abdullah! Rep for you.

I am sure you will figure out where the rattle is coming from Eddie. Maybe you should start the car and carefully look at the muffler area while it is idling. It is probably something that needs minor adjustment. Hope you get it resolved soon!

Matt

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
How does the PSE sound compared to your old/my new Fabspeeds? And sorry for the rattle problem. GL getting is fixed quickly...

Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Way to look out for a fellow 6speeder Abdullah! Rep for you.

I am sure you will figure out where the rattle is coming from Eddie. Maybe you should start the car and carefully look at the muffler area while it is idling. It is probably something that needs minor adjustment. Hope you get it resolved soon!

Matt

Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
911 S is infamous around these parts
i guess its has something to do with the fitment.. just double check..

Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
How does the PSE sound compared to your old/my new Fabspeeds? And sorry for the rattle problem. GL getting is fixed quickly...
Definitely milder than the fabspeeds but the sound is still there. Truthfully, I would've kept the fabspeeds if I had a cab as the sound is pure magic with the windows down, sunroof open --- but my wife thought it too loud for her and our two little ones in the back will everything closed.

I get the best of both worlds this way.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Keep us posted. I have a factory installed PSE on my car and I think I hear a slight rattle in it sometimes as well. But I can't reproduce it at will at this point.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
My PSE rattles like a freakin' popcorn maker when it is cold. After it's warmed up - no problema.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lig
My PSE rattles like a freakin' popcorn maker when it is cold. After it's warmed up - no problema.

Really! I don't believe I have any rattling issues with my PSE, at least I can't hear it over the loud popping and burbling

Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
It's just on startup. Sounds goofy. I have some AWE cats waiting to be installed so maybe there is something loose that needs tightening. I'll have a chance to see while I'm under the car.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Dally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to beholdDally is a splendid one to behold
Interesting...

I hear it a wee tingle tangle noise myself. I park in the underground there and as I leave i can hear it. Its almost like a flange or something ... maybe even a baffle inside the exhaust is loose or something. Its really annoying. Its there during some parts of the rpm range and sometimes not. I'm takin it in to pizzzorsche there this monday for them to have a wee look at it since its still under warranty. I'll let ya know, what they tell me.

by the way, its the same noise with or without the sport exhaust on.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I had a rattle on my 997S when the Tubis were put on. Seems like there were some screws gone from where some of the heat shields attach to the bumper.

I had a different rattle later on - it was a bad cat..

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by lig
It's just on startup. Sounds goofy. I have some AWE cats waiting to be installed so maybe there is something loose that needs tightening. I'll have a chance to see while I'm under the car.
This is EXACTLY what mine sounds like. Goes away after about 5 minutes of driving. Just like a baffle or something is lose... or, like I mentioned earlier, that the exhaust or a part of it is rubbing against the heatshield.

It sounds metallic - like jigsaw blade when it's jumping off the wood you're trying to cut.

To answer the other question below this one, I installed the PSE w/o the wiring so it's always "on" (i.e., always in "Sport" mode).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed PSE but now I have a rattle