997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Time to swap my Afterhours Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Time to swap my Afterhours Pipes

Well, I have been contemplating my new AH pipes since they were installed two weeks ago. The car sounds like a f-car, and I loved the sound when I was by myself. HOWEVER....I could tell my date was not thrilled with the race car sound last night So, it is time to trade to something more date friendly.

Besides the PSE, are there any other systems that are controlled via valves? I know the SpeedArt 997.2 system is available. Anything for the 997.1? If AH was controlled via valves, that would be a sick system!

Also, let me know if anyone wants to swap 997 mufflers. If you want a more aggressive sound, you won't beat the AH.

Nick

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Find another date. Quick.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like there's money to be made by building a valve set that can be adapted to all the muffler systems out there. RF controlled (like the new coilover lifts) or dash switch. Geez, I wish I was just a bit handier...

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Find another date. Quick.
Nah, she just had to talk a little bit louder!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Nickinohio
Nah, she just had to talk a little bit louder!
Nice.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
erubin is infamous around these parts
How would a valve work without a bypass set up built into the cans? It seems to me the mufflers would need to be designed to accomadate a valve allowing a mild to wild sound variation.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
On this note, what you really need is a PSE system adapted to full bypass in sport mode, and full muffler in non sport. Shouldn't be too difficult. My wife and I really like the bypass pipes, so we ditched the PSE altogether to save weight.

However, if PSE in Sport mode did offer full bypass, it would be worth the weight (almost) to keep it in. It's just that in our opinions, PSE Sport mode was not loud enough.

I think this would be something a muffler shop could do for you. PSE in non sport mode is definitely conversation friendly.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I saw an ad in Excellence Magazine for a Tubi system that had the same valve as the PSE, I haven't seen much about it since. Try their website.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
A valve setup would never work with the AH setup..it's basically 2 small glass packs welded in place.

Dave

Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
A valve setup would never work with the AH setup..it's basically 2 small glass packs welded in place.

Dave
Yes, I was referring to the valve concept....quite/loud on demand.

Nick

Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM
RED05CS is infamous around these parts
Nick I sent you a PM in regards to your exhaust.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
shweppa1 is infamous around these partsshweppa1 is infamous around these parts
Muffler shops can usually install the bypass valves, but they are not good at on/off switches (electronic, RF, etc.)... You should talk to someone qualified that has done the switches, unless you want to crawl under & manually switch the valves on/off. As for the loudness of the current AH pipes, it's all just foot controlled

Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
My PSE combined with X51 headers and AWE 200 cell cats sounds very aggressive in sport mode and very tame when in "normal" mode. However I have the plug which controls the vacuum unplugged so it is in loud mode all of the time. Can easily go between plugged and unplugged though.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Bypass valves won't work n the AH setup because there are no chambers. With a bypass valve you can convert the muffer form a 2 chamber to a 3 chamber. With the AH setup...here's a pick.

The quiet mode will be the original configuration. If you bypass those small expansion chambers it would basically be a complete muffler bypassmaking them even louder.

Dave

Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nickinohio
Well, I have been contemplating my new AH pipes since they were installed two weeks ago. The car sounds like a f-car, and I loved the sound when I was by myself. HOWEVER....I could tell my date was not thrilled with the race car sound last night So, it is time to trade to something more date friendly.

Besides the PSE, are there any other systems that are controlled via valves? I know the SpeedArt 997.2 system is available. Anything for the 997.1? If AH was controlled via valves, that would be a sick system!

Also, let me know if anyone wants to swap 997 mufflers. If you want a more aggressive sound, you won't beat the AH.

Nick

Nick,
how much r u letting them go 4? Remember she absolutely HATED the sound. U better move quickly or the only hummmm u will be feeling is the hummm of the mufflers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time to swap my Afterhours Pipes