997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Fueling issue / Solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by OC Pcar
I have this issue too..off to the gas station later to try it out..thanks you just got rep power
Waiting to see the results...thanks

Originally Posted by 997sRider
It worked! Full tank of gas this morning. No spills. I tried the normal way and it shut itself off after 2 gallons. I fliped it around and gave me a full tank. I think the pumps are too sensitive. I held on to the nozzle to make sure it doesn't pop out by accident.
Working it way, one tank at at time

Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I've never had a problem in general. I suspect its the particular pumps and how they are calibrated to shut off. I've noticed it can depend on the flow rate of the pump as well. Some stations have pumps with the flow rate at full open nozzel being very slow.. where it takes forrrr-eeeee-vvvvver to fill the tank. Never an issue there. Others, they have the pressure/flow cranked way up and on even my old VW Golf, the fuel came so fast the auto-shut off kicked in half the time after 1 second because of the way the fuel flowed into the tank form the entry point.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OC Pcar
I have this issue too..off to the gas station later to try it out..thanks you just got rep power
worked like a charm 4/4

Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
printemps2001 is infamous around these parts
This happened to me once. Although from reading this post, I wonder if I'm really filling the tank.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
alantaur is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
What? Um does California have diferent laws about their gas pumps? (CARB b/s) Because I've never had that issue on any P-car, unless something was wrong with the vehicle.
It may have something to do with the particular vapor recovery nozzles in California.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Enzo559 is infamous around these parts
It happens in california alot the gas nozzles create back pressure so the nozzle kicks out thinking our gas tanks are full when they arent yet. Porsche has a black plastic ring you can buy($7.89) cheap solution it slips over the top an say good bye to the problem

Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Enzo559
It happens in california alot the gas nozzles create back pressure so the nozzle kicks out thinking our gas tanks are full when they arent yet. Porsche has a black plastic ring you can buy($7.89) cheap solution it slips over the top an say good bye to the problem
If your car is still under warranty, the P dealer will install the plastic ring and fix the issue. Just had this done to my car last week.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
GothamHistorian is infamous around these parts
I found that if I drove the car for a while and then got gas, the vapor trap clicks in and it's a pain to fill up.

If I get gas when the car is still cold, the tank fills all the way without snapping off. I suspect that a car up to operating temperature creates vapors that triggers the off switch in the gas nozzle.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 AM
MajicC4S is infamous around these parts
Do you have a link by any chance?

Originally Posted by Enzo559

Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GothamHistorian
I found that if I drove the car for a while and then got gas, the vapor trap clicks in and it's a pain to fill up.

If I get gas when the car is still cold, the tank fills all the way without snapping off. I suspect that a car up to operating temperature creates vapors that triggers the off switch in the gas nozzle.
That's very likely the issue and it is fixable from my experience. My Boxster had the same problem and the dealer fixed it. In my case I believe it was a fuse. Filler neck is the other known issue. Never had the issue again and have not experienced it with my 997. The link below offers a good deal of insight into the evaporative emmisions control system and how it all interacts. Gets to be heavy reading at times but interesting reading. Rgardless, filling the tankf with the nozzle upside down isn't the solution, it's a work around for a problem that the dealer can and should address as part of the emissions control system warranty IMHO.

http://www.knclub.ru/f/attachments/1...nt_systems.pdf

Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
yes turning the nozzle 180 really does work even here in CA.
My Sunbeam Tiger requires the same procedure.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
That's how I do it and it works grrrreat!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vg247
If your car is still under warranty, the P dealer will install the plastic ring and fix the issue. Just had this done to my car last week.
Really? I've always just turned the nozzle like others have suggested. 90 degrees works fine for me. However, I like this solution better. I'll go to auto gallery next weekend and see if they hook me up.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
btran13 is infamous around these parts
The plastic ring solves the problem

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Plastic ring works great.
Purchased it last year!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Fueling issue / Solution