997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Flash and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Computer wizards may be able to hack into secure systems, but that doesn't mean no one won't know they were there if they look for them.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Here's a challenge:

I would like to hear from someone that has had a warranty claim denied by Porsche for ECU tampering/flashing.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gundo
Here's a challenge:

I would like to hear from someone that has had a warranty claim denied by Porsche for ECU tampering/flashing.
Good challenge but I do not think you will find them on this small forum. If you are worred about this you should pick out some Porsche dealers across the country and call them and ask.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
I'm not too worried, for many of the reasons Ron mentioned above. Just wondering, as I figure there are plenty of members here that have flashed their ECUs and would have direct experience with warranty claims.

Softronic makes the claim about being undetectable quite strongly, and I'm sure this claim has swayed many buyers.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Here's a challenge:

Another challenge would be to hear from the Porsch service techs that frequent this board and see if they will chime in on whether or not ECU flashes are detectable.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
ECU flashes are detectable.
All ECU flashes are detectable by simply plugging in the PWIS Porsche factory tool.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I'm not too worried, for many of the reasons Ron mentioned above. Just wondering, as I figure there are plenty of members here that have flashed their ECUs and would have direct experience with warranty claims.

Softronic makes the claim about being undetectable quite strongly, and I'm sure this claim has swayed many buyers.
I don't think Softronic claims their flash is undetectable, only that you can return your ECU to 100% stock.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
All ECU flashes are detectable by simply plugging in the PWIS Porsche factory tool.
I should have been more clear - if ECU is returned to stock (e.g. with Softronic software) is there any residual evidence that can be detected by the PWIS that the ECU had been previously modified. I have heard that the answer is yes and even if you use a clean, replacement ECU the info in the ECU (operating hours, etc.) won't match to the odometer. I use ECU and DME interchangeably - I think the correct name for the "box" is DME. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I should have been more clear - if ECU is returned to stock (e.g. with Softronic software) is there any residual evidence that can be detected by the PWIS that the ECU had been previously modified. I have heard that the answer is yes and even if you use a clean, replacement ECU the info in the ECU (operating hours, etc.) won't match to the odometer. I use ECU and DME interchangeably - I think the correct name for the "box" is DME. Thanks.
The answer is yes. PIWIS can detect if a ECU has been flashed, the number of times it has been flashed, and when it was last flashed, even if the programming is returned to stock.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The warranty claim denial fear tactic droned into the minds of buyers has been the general message from auto manufactuers . For some reason buyers don't even like to question it much less defy it with THEIR own cars.
I not sure how this applies to my post...a member simply asked if a tuner has a closer relationship to Porsche, like Dinan has with BMW...the answer is yes...Ruf offers a warranty on all their engine upgrades, and owners can have a car serviced at a authorized Porsche dealership...if there is debate on whether the conversion caused damage covered under warranty, Ruf will authorize the repair and be responsible for the charges.

I am unaware of any tuner that offers the same.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Would love for Softronic or Revo to opine on this thread.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:10 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
The answer is yes. PIWIS can detect if a ECU has been flashed, the number of times it has been flashed, and when it was last flashed, even if the programming is returned to stock.
This is absolutely not true. That is why several of the tuners that own the right equipment can claim that if they return to stock, there is absolutely zero chance of detection. Again, everyone has to do their own research and be comfortable.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
This is absolutely not true. That is why several of the tuners that own the right equipment can claim that if they return to stock, there is absolutely zero chance of detection. Again, everyone has to do their own research and be comfortable.
Are you speculating or do you have info? Here is my supporting evidence. DME readout of a tuned 04 GT3 using newer PIWIS...reflashed to "stock."

Attached Images   

Last edited by bbywu; 04-22-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
Not sure why it's "absolutely not true" - looks like the opinions so far are from Porsche owners not technicians. As I read the tuner claims, they say they can return the ECU to stock. As far as I know no tuner claims there is zero chance of detection that an ECU has been changed, then restored to stock. You're right, we all have to do our own research but I'm not so ready to absolutely say yes or no to the questions at hand. BTW, I've had Ruf tunes even with the P-car still under the original warranty so that was my decision after research. I wasn't overly concerned if the tune was detectable or not. Still, this is an interesting topic. One day we may find the truth.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen it in person on 07 997 products, zero evidence anything was ever changed, confirmed by using PIWIS. It all depends on how well you know your way around the equipment, hard coding, etc.

Remember, the car's computer is just like any other. It has memory in it and if you know what you are doing, you can truly wipe data and restore data to exactly how it "looked" before anything was changed.

One more time - everyone needs to be convinced themselves. If uneasy about any of this, best to not touch anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flash and Warranty