997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Flash and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Or, if you have $12,000 for a PIWIS.

Scott, if you wipe and clear a ECU with PIWIS, does the "hours of use" clock get reset to zero as well? Data from the odometer will reflect total miles driven, but if the hours of use is reset to zero, your total "miles per hour" will be exaggerated...hence alerting an adept service tech.
Hello,

No the hours of use would stay the same in the DME even when written again with the PIWIS. The problem is that the PIWIS would index the write 1 so if it showed 1 program it would now show 2 and so on. The PIWIS will only write a total of 3 times to the DME and then stop so this is not good. The other problem is that some tuners change the lower section of the Memory and the PIWIS cant correct this.

Does this answer your question? Im open for more if anyone has some.

Best Regards,
Scott SLauson

Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Scott,

What kind of support does Softronic offer to a customer that has a claim denied by PCNA if they can detect your software has been written and then the stock program re writen?

Ed

Old 04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Actually, there are some Porsche dealers that are also Evoms dealers who do offer this.
Oh yeah there are plenty of Porsche dealers that offer ECU flashes (mine offered Revo for years until recently) but ta dealer offering a ECU flash does not make it an approved Porsche mod...thus you void your warranty.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Scott,

What kind of support does Softronic offer to a customer that has a claim denied by PCNA if they can detect your software has been written and then the stock program re writen?

Ed
They would not deny a claim when the car has the factory software in the car???? You are making a hypothetical question that could not exist. The original flash is just that, the original.

I would say they would deny the claim for any other mod you had on the car, your over revs or lack of certified maintenance etc in which I would have no control over.

Best Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 05-05-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Just following along...

J

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
They would not deny a claim when the car has the factory software in the car???? You are making a hypothetical question that could not exist. The original flash is just that, the original.

I would say they would deny the claim for any other mod you had on the car, your over revs or lack of certified maintenance etc in which I would have no control over. Well the mods and the maintenance.

Best Regards,
Scott
Yes this is a hypothetical question, as I have conflicting information. My dealers shop manager tells me that all the flashes are detectable, don't ask me how, as he didn't eleborate. You, who I have a lot of respect for, as well as your product say otherwise. I agree that other mods can effect the warranty as well, but most can be reversed without any evidence of the fact that they existed.

If the software leaves a trail (for lack of a better term) then there is an out for PCNA to use, and I am willing to bet that they would use it. If there was a third party warranty, then I am sure that more people would have the confidence in the flashes.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Yes this is a hypothetical question, as I have conflicting information. My dealers shop manager tells me that all the flashes are detectable, don't ask me how, as he didn't eleborate. You, who I have a lot of respect for, as well as your product say otherwise. I agree that other mods can effect the warranty as well, but most can be reversed without any evidence of the fact that they existed.

If the software leaves a trail (for lack of a better term) then there is an out for PCNA to use, and I am willing to bet that they would use it. If there was a third party warranty, then I am sure that more people would have the confidence in the flashes.
With all respect to your Dealers manager I think he does not fully understand how and what is flashed and how it is detected. This is common though since many tuners do not know either . He or she is mainly familiar in what they are told by Porsche or how the PIWIS increments on flashes.

All Tuned files are detectable, period. I should know since I check them The Original file is not a tuned file therefore it is not considered a flash. A Flash is generally a term that has been given to a tuned file when done to a stock car.

There is a big difference in a car that runs as stock compared to is stock by its program.

As an example to try and explain better. Lets say you have a file in a car of 1024k in size. This would be in the 7.8 DME's. This given file is original as I would say or factory. Now you change just 1 bit in it. This file would now be considered tuned or a flash as many call it. Lets say that this one bit is changed back to what it was before. The file is now completely factory or original. The changing of this 1 bit in the 29F800 though has to be done without altering any other data.

I hope this helps and I greatly appreciate your question as I do all of them.

Question are good and as long as we are on a general discussion of flashes and files I would like to continue for all that want to. I also do not want to bore people or seem as though I'm promoting anything.

Best Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 05-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
OK, I thought I would just post a EU GT3 BIN file for all to look at as a tutorial.

I would appreciate any positive feed back in posts or reputation so that I know this is not falling on deaf ears as they say.

I had to attach it as a file and you can download it and then view it under Notepad etc. I have also X out certain data so that it could not be used and not considered a valid working copy.
Thanks Scott - your info never falls on deaf ears. You have dispelled many urban myths regarding "flashes" and what can and cannot be detected by dealer techs. Thanks for taking time to educate us.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Do those with flashes never take their cars in for service at the dealer for fear of being "noticed" and recorded? If so, where do you go...do you all DIY?

J

Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
Do those with flashes never take their cars in for service at the dealer for fear of being "noticed" and recorded? If so, where do you go...do you all DIY?

J
To flash or not is an interesting conundrum - a personal decision for sure. Lots of worry about denial of warranty so folks need to measure how much risk they are willing to take. One conern I've always had is if the car breaks down while on the road or traveling outside your home area. Even if you can "flash" back to stock, how do you do this before the car gets to the shop - tow home, reflash to stock and then tow to dealer? I've flashed two 997's and stopped worrying about warranty - too many other worries to take up my day.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
What's all this faszination with a warranty? Do it or don't but at some point you are going to have to live without it anyway. Go ahead, cut the cord! I remember not long ago Porsche only ever had a 2 year warranty, the sales guys would always tell you their clients didn't worry about warranties because the car is built like a tank. My turbo is solid, no worries here.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Scott, thanks for all of the details! Very helpful.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by InTheAir
Scott, thanks for all of the details! Very helpful.
Thank You for the post. I would like to offer my email address that I use in the Pano etc . This would be Marine351@aol.com . Should anyone have questions on tuning or basically the real story on anything Porsche please do not hesitate to send me an email.

Best Regards,
Scott SLauson

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, you and your product are second to none, I appreciate the wealth of information that you are sharing and appreciate the way in which you explain the technical details. Thank you for being a great source for both info and product

Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
REBor8 is infamous around these parts
I've discovered the secret to this issue. Drive the hell out of your car and address any warranty issues prior to any modifications and reaching the mileage ceiling. Then....mods vs. warranty issues are non-existent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flash and Warranty