997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Flash and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Flash and Warranty

Does installing Flash void the warranty? Another poster said that if you brought your car in for a problem, the dealer could detect if you had ever put in a Flash (even if you removed it) and void the warranty.

True?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
This is a topic that can vary greatly depending on who you ask. Some dealers are very tolerant of modifications and will work with you. Others will threaten to void your warranty at the mere mention of an ECU flash.

Your best bet would be to check with other enthusiasts in your area and find a "mod-friendly" dealer. Many dealers will work with you on warranty issues (within reason) even if you've added an ECU flash or some other 'warranty-voiding' modification.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
If you have a major engine failure, it doesnt matter how friendly the dealer is. They have to send a memory dump from the ECU to germany and they can see if the programming was altered.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by machina
If you have a major engine failure, it doesnt matter how friendly the dealer is. They have to send a memory dump from the ECU to germany and they can see if the programming was altered.
+ 1, If push came to shove and there was an engine on the line you would get your warranty claim denied faster then you can say "duncoff"

I have a number of mods, all of which for argument sake could be reversed, however a flash will still be seen, and for the power gains, is not worth the money until the warranty is over.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

Some believe that warranty is some majic carpet of protection yet examples can be cited where even a stock car has faced repair hurdles.
Some believe that modifying exposes the risk of NON repair and that's not always true either .

The answer --it's ALL in how well one negotiates and copes with his car.

My car has my name on the title . It doesn't have the tuners name nor the factory . The owner is ultimately responsible with what he does with his car and how he deals with fixing it . In short --no one will tell me what to do with my car . If I am happy I give more business and if not I walk from it .

I have been extremly happy with my mods at this time and if I wasn't I would walk away from it --in a heart beat .

As a customer I think it's in Porsches best interest to sell me a 9th Porsche and for anyone who sells me a product for my car to work with me the best they can .

I seem to get my cars fixed .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Some believe that warranty is some majic carpet of protection yet examples can be cited where even a stock car has faced repair hurdles.
Some believe that modifying exposes the risk of NON repair and that's not always true either .

The answer --it's ALL in how well one negotiates and copes with his car.

My car has my name on the title . It doesn't have the tuners name nor the factory . The owner is ultimately responsible with what he does with his car and how he deals with fixing it . In short --no one will tell me what to do with my car . If I am happy I give more business and if not I walk from it .

I have been extremly happy with my mods at this time and if I wasn't I would walk away from it --in a heart beat .

As a customer I think it's in Porsches best interest to sell me a 9th Porsche and for anyone who sells me a product for my car to work with me the best they can .

I seem to get my cars fixed .
Larry, you make some good points, but is 10 HP worth the argument? On a TT gaining the extra power may make the improved performance out way the potential PIA.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the responses so far. Sorry if I raised a bit of a hornets nest here. Almost scared to ask my local Porsche dealer's service department their thoughts.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
not a hornets nest, just another discuss on 6speed

Old 04-20-2009, 03:56 PM
my dealer offers flashes and other mods but they ask you to sign a waiver before they install it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
my dealer offers flashes and other mods but they ask you to sign a waiver before they install it.
What did you waive?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What did you waive?
i just inquired about it, would never have the dealer do that sort of work but many people do apparently.

i never saw the waiver but i imagine it said something like the dealer is not responsible for your engine grenading after they install a remapped software map and then you go and run 87 octane in the car.

anyway, i would never sign that.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would sign nothing . If they have a "motorsports" department then that is a separate entity from a factory dealership . They may have a shared name and when it comes to repairs they face the internal process of claim coverage .

For example
If an air conditioner breaks --that's factory warranty no matter how many mods are on the car.
If an axle breaks -- that may be mod related repair picked up by the tuner .

Some (depending on region) do not have these dealership branch related choices . BUT they still can find quality tuners to do the work.

The bottom line is that the person holding the cards is the owner . It's HIS car, HIS money, HIS present and future business, and the minute he closes his wallet -- game over !!!

That applies to any giant motorsports dept, a small local shop, a dealership, or anyone else who believes that keeping a happy customer in a reliable car is not a major priority .

Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Does installing Flash void the warranty? Another poster said that if you brought your car in for a problem, the dealer could detect if you had ever put in a Flash (even if you removed it) and void the warranty.

True?
Remember you warranty is with Porsche NOT the dealer not matter how mod friendly the dealer is. I ask PCNA straight up about doing a ECU re-flash and they told me point blank it would void the powertrain and other parts of the car controled by the computer if I changed the ECU in anyway.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Seems like there is much to consider when doing this mod! Are you in good with your local service dept./dealer etc....how lienient they are...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Swoody
Seems like there is much to consider when doing this mod! Are you in good with your local service dept./dealer etc....how lienient they are...
ture...but...say your transmission goes out, IMS or RMS issue....your dealer will have to send ECU info to Porsche and they will see your ECU re-flash....poof no warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flash and Warranty