997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What the dealerships just don't understand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Since Porsche leasing is almost archaic compared to BMW or Lexus it's hard to cite leasing as an example . Porsche has always sold cars and even though leasing is offered it's not the bulk of sales . At this time the cars are idle --not selling -not leasing (despite improvements) .

I am not just mentioning Porsche on this thread . I have also noted BMW and Mercedes both of which have lease programs .

The entire market has slowed down and consumer sentiment has changed . When people lose money they focus on spending . When their home is worth less or their trade in worth less they focus on future purchases .

In the past car dealerships profitted on emotional buying . It's not the trend anymore . They can cut supply , retain inventory , and make it hard for the few still "gotta have it" but with time even they may walk away .

BTW -I said this about BMW three years ago when they revised the 330 with the 335 only 10 months after the car launched . I wrote post after post describing the risk of appealing to attention deficit consumers and how that flock might leave at the height of BMW success . http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw...7528094-1.html

Now it's not just them. Every car sale is under the buyer microscope and the result -- every dealership has cars.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
At least BMW and MB offer decent (and sometimes excellent) national lease and or purchase specials and make them easily available to view in detail through their websites. BMW recently had amazing lease deals on all their M cars.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 500
At least BMW and MB offer decent (and sometimes excellent) national lease and or purchase specials and make them easily available to view in detail through their websites. BMW recently had amazing lease deals on all their M cars.
Yes they do . Try and get out of a high residual lease and you'll see the flip side . That means if the car has problems or if the leasee simply want out .. he's stuck .

Then the lease comes back and they get stuck with the car . They are only delaying the inevitable loss with this new M3 priced too high and out of favor with its gas mileage and techno gadgets . The M3 purists did not buy them as expected . In fact a lot of former E46 M3 owners are here reading this.

BTW --at the time when I bought my M3 BMW was not offering anything . Lease prices were sky high .BMW was filled with attitude . Now they have no choice but to give them away because on the used market a 72K M3 is selling in the low 50's .

Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yes they do . Try and get out of a high residual lease and you'll see the flip side . That means if the car has problems or if the leasee simply want out .. he's stuck .

Then the lease comes back and they get stuck with the car . They are only delaying the inevitable loss with this new M3 priced too high and out of favor with its gas mileage and techno gadgets . The M3 purists did not buy them as expected . In fact a lot of former E46 M3 owners are here reading this.

BTW --at the time when I bought my M3 BMW was not offering anything . Lease prices were sky high .BMW was filled with attitude . Now they have no choice but to give them away because on the used market a 72K M3 is selling in the low 50's .
But at least they now are...again I've never seen a great nationally advertised program on a 911, now or even in the recessionary early-mid 1990's or even right after Sept 11th...

Porsche needs to step up if they want to sell more 911's but apparently for the reason(s) previously mentioned they're in no hurry.

Last edited by 500; 04-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
One last thing 500 -

If you must lease . Porsche leasing can not compete dollar for dollar with what BMW programs offer . They just are not at the same level but I think that's a plus in Porsches side . Since most buy the car Porsche has a loyal customer base . BMW with short term leasing is always at risk of losing their flock and lately they have.

Different car , different experience --but both are lacking in recent sales and both share the common thread that the dealership upper management needs to look at themselves and examine their role in pricing , internet and out of state sales , meeting the needs of their loyal buyers, as well creating a happy workplace for their respected employees.

If upper management refuses to adapt then the inventory will sit on lots .

Old 04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
One last thing 500 -

If you must lease . Porsche leasing can not compete dollar for dollar with what BMW programs offer . They just are not at the same level but I think that's a plus in Porsches side . Since most buy the car Porsche has a loyal customer base . BMW with short term leasing is always at risk of losing their flock and lately they have.

Different car , different experience --but both are lacking in recent sales and both share the common thread that the dealership upper management needs to look at themselves and examine their role in pricing , internet and out of state sales , meeting the needs of their loyal buyers, as well creating a happy workplace for their respected employees.

If upper management refuses to adapt then the inventory will sit on lots .
Absolutely, and if Porsche themselves chip in and in a meaningful way, the cars will move off the lots even faster because the deals will be even better. Remember Porsche and Porsche Credit (now Porsche Financial) are not the little companies they used to be even as recent as 10 years ago, actually they're light years ahead financially.

Enjoyed the discussion and yes, I hope Porsche dealers and Porsche themselves are reading.

Last edited by 500; 04-25-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Since Porsche leasing is almost archaic compared to BMW or Lexus it's hard to cite leasing as an example . Porsche has always sold cars and even though leasing is offered it's not the bulk of sales . At this time the cars are idle --not selling -not leasing (despite improvements) .

I am not just mentioning Porsche on this thread . I have also noted BMW and Mercedes both of which have lease programs .

The entire market has slowed down and consumer sentiment has changed . When people lose money they focus on spending . When their home is worth less or their trade in worth less they focus on future purchases .

In the past car dealerships profitted on emotional buying . It's not the trend anymore . They can cut supply , retain inventory , and make it hard for the few still "gotta have it" but with time even they may walk away .

BTW -I said this about BMW three years ago when they revised the 330 with the 335 only 10 months after the car launched . I wrote post after post describing the risk of appealing to attention deficit consumers and how that flock might leave at the height of BMW success . http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw...7528094-1.html

Now it's not just them. Every car sale is under the buyer microscope and the result -- every dealership has cars.
Actually the leases on the M3 from BMWFS is a joke..you are better off buying the car. The payment difference is less than $100.00 a month vs. the 3.9% 60 mos. payment. You would have to be nuts to lease a M3 over a 997.

Dave

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Actually the leases on the M3 from BMWFS is a joke..you are better off buying the car. The payment difference is less than $100.00 a month vs. the 3.9% 60 mos. payment. You would have to be nuts to lease a M3 over a 997.

Dave
I would not lease any car . I have learned that lesson well . I don't know what the current M3 leases are but I do know that they change . BMW was running an amazing lease deal on M6 cars not too long ago . 2500 down , under 1K a month , 2 yr lease on a 106K car . Not bad .

BMW leasing is revised so often that what is horrible one day may not be the same a week later .

When I priced the M3 lease it was in line with what you are saying above . My guess is that 500 found a more recent program as he is actively looking at cars to lease .

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I would not lease any car . I have learned that lesson well . I don't know what the current M3 leases are but I do know that they change . BMW was running an amazing lease deal on M6 cars not too long ago . 2500 down , under 1K a month , 2 yr lease on a 106K car . Not bad .

BMW leasing is revised so often that what is horrible one day may not be the same a week later .

When I priced the M3 lease it was in line with what you are saying above . My guess is that 500 found a more recent program as he is actively looking at cars to lease .
The best deals on new M3's coupes and cabs were in late/Dec 2008 from what I remember as were the deals on all the M cars 5's 6's too.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 PM

Was seriously going to get an early 09S PDK but I couldn't get one when I wanted it and now reading about potential DFI issues I'm glad I didn't...hope the DFI gunk in the intakes is not a serious issue long term.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future

I don't mind leasing as I am able to take full advantage of the tax benefits. If the lease is decent you can still build equity in a vehicle as if you bought it.

Dave

Old 04-26-2009, 04:32 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
As I see it there is also an upside to what Porsche does vs BMW

Seems to me that every other high school kid in my area drives a BMW because of their "lease specials". I value the exclusivity that you have with a Porsche and dont want to be driving the same car as thousands of high schoolers and middle aged moms. If the "programs" were the same you would lose that factor.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
chiroporsche is infamous around these parts
I went to a Porsche dealership in St. Pete a couple of weeks ago to inquire about a new Cayman. He told me that MSRP was what they were going for. I went to a dealership in Tampa. He immediately offered my 8% off.

Some people have no clue.