997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Difficulty with heal and toe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Mr B.

I am sure that you are a much better driver then I am, I don't race, I don't instruct others, and I have only been at it for a few years. However the technique that you use sounds like it requires a lot more concentration then Heel Toe, I find that I am doing the technique when ever I down shift (street or track) and the activity is becoming as natural as hearing the revs of the car and knowing when to up shift.

For the sake of keeping the car balanced and under control on the track I would recommend that everyone learn how to heel toe, and when they get the techniques to do with out then stop doing it. Nissan 370Z has a software application built in that will rev match on downshifting, obviously they beleive that it is a requirement for aggressive sport driving on the track.
+1. Heel and toe is fast driving 101. Not doing it is asking for trouble eventually (that compression lockup will get you in the end) and as North says it becomes natural after a short while.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Easier

Mr B.

I am sure that you are a much better driver then I am, I don't race, I don't instruct others, and I have only been at it for a few years. However the technique that you use sounds like it requires a lot more concentration then Heel Toe, I find that I am doing the technique when ever I down shift (street or track) and the activity is becoming as natural as hearing the revs of the car and knowing when to up shift.
For the sake of keeping the car balanced and under control on the track I would recommend that everyone learn how to heel toe, and when they get the techniques to do with out then stop doing it. Nissan 370Z has a software application built in that will rev match on downshifting, obviously they beleive that it is a requirement for aggressive sport driving on the track.
I think the technique I use is easier than heel/toe.
All it takes is a lot of smoothness. Practice it on the street. When you're in 3rd gear, for example, and you come to a street corner, first brake, then, before the turn, smoothly downshift into 2nd before you get back on the throttle.
Mr. B

Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I think the technique I use is easier than heel/toe.
All it takes is a lot of smoothness. Practice it on the street. When you're in 3rd gear, for example, and you come to a street corner, first brake, then, before the turn, smoothly downshift into 2nd before you get back on the throttle.
Mr. B
LOL, that is how I use to drive, my instructors kept telling me to stop driving that way and learn heel toe!

Now that I can heel toe, I find it a fun part of the driving experience. I really like the idea of the PDK, but I think it will take a lot of the fun away from driving.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
LOL, that is how I use to drive, my instructors kept telling me to stop driving that way and learn heel toe!
Now that I can heel toe, I find it a fun part of the driving experience. I really like the idea of the PDK, but I think it will take a lot of the fun away from driving.
I can't disagree with you. It's an excellent, fun skill.
But in racing, the objective is to be as fast as possible, especially in qualifying.
And in my early years of racing I learned the non-heel/toe technique. Now, I use it all the time. Choosing which technique to use should be a personal choice.
Mr. B