997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

newbie 09 997 advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 299moto
Ive read different posts about 10+ % off & killer buy rates on leases but socal dealers aren't gettin there yet.
You might want to search a bit harder...You can get these deals in Socal...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
299moto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 805Z06
You might want to search a bit harder...You can get these deals in Socal...
Where'd you get yours?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
civerson4 is infamous around these parts
I'm getting a new C2 for $1000 over invoice--equates to just about 10% off MSRP--in So Cal.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
In socal check out Desert European Imports (Palm springs area). You'd be surprised at how quickly they drop the price. When it comes to price, I put them first (where I got my '09 C4S from) and Walter's (Riverside) second. I had gone to all SoCal dealerships outside of San Diego and nobody budged except those two.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
09 Inventory Search

Re: OP question: "Are all the 09's at the dealers?...Wondering if buying out of state might save more?" A good place to start your national search is to go to the Porsche (PCNA) and use their dealer locator to search the listed inventory of each dealer by state. http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/usLocator/states/ It is slow going since you need to access & view one dealer at a time. Some dealers list just MSRP prices. Some have their asking price for some of the vehicles and you know (from your previous research) that it's below MSRP. Others just say 'Call us for pricing'. Regardless, this search will give you a pretty good idea of the national inventory of cars at Porsche dealers nationwide and - most importantly - their cars' exact specifications. The latter is key since knowing the options is vital to any meaningful search for your ideal '09 911 and PCNA requires the options of each car clearly listed by their dealers on this website. Other sources for locating (in general) national '09 911 inventory are: Cars.com has a 'New' category where many dealers have listed their inventory of 09 Porsche 911's. Another is Autotrader.com, although I find them more helpful for 'used cars' than 'new' given how they list content. Just remember that not all Porsche dealers are advertising their new 09 inventories in these two commercial websites. However, those you find there will give you a general idea of some of what is available in the country...and very quickly too. In these sites you can do specific searches (e.g. look for your desired model like a C4S) and most likely see photos. Some of the smart dealers are also listing the exact options of their cars. The dumb ones still waste their ads telling you that their 911 has 'electric windows, etc" and miss telling you the specific options of their cars - real old school salesmanship. So that could be a start for you. Good luck with your efforts. I have been doing this exact research for the past three weeks and it's amazing how much I have learned about the '09 Porsche 911 market in that short time. Only after you see the overall picture of the national inventory (both leftover '08's and new '09's) of 911's still unsold at US dealers at this late date (spring '09) can you effectively formulate your best strategy for presenting an intelligent offer to a dealer for the vehicle you have selected. But it takes a lot of time to do this research correctly. I still want more information & knowledge, so I am continuing in my research endeavors. This Forum & others has also been very helpful. Saludos, Z356

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
disruptek is infamous around these partsdisruptek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
I did, that's what I'm trying to say. You, and some other's, may never believe it, but sometimes a lease can make sense. If you intend to buy the car outright, then leasing with a good lease, and buying the car at residual can cost less than financing that same car on day 1 when you add up all the cash outlay. Also, deffered payment and keeping your money in your pocket is also usually a good thing...no matter what the investment. Like I said, I ran the numbers for leasing and buying when I picked my car up...total outlay for the lease and payment of the residual in cash, which I will do, will cost less than the sum total of payments for the same car if I had financed it. This is the second car I'll buy this way, and it works out to paying MSRP for the car in cash on day 1, but with the benifit of deffered payment over 3 years. Basically no finance charge. However, you have to work to get a good lease. I spent about 2 months on it.

J
I agree, and this calculator can make the decision a little easier:
http://www.bloomberg.com/invest/calc.../leasebuy.html

In many cases, it makes the most sense (cents?) to lease and then buy. This is especially true in the case of a new car. Add in a tax write-off and pretty soon you're talking real money.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^Thanks for the backup .

J

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
i bought my c2 in 11/08 and i got zero discount. Maybe i should have waited a bit.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM
kevin123 is infamous around these parts
I just bought a C4S. Some dealers were willing to deal somewhat, others weren't. I wanted Ruby Red which is getting difficult to find. When I test drove one at my local dealer, I was the third person on a test drive at the same time as others. The dealers I spoke to said sales were very good in April (they sold 4 Porsches including mine).

If I wanted Black, White, Grey, I found them $500-$1000 over dealer invoice.
Dealer invoice is not what the dealers pay for the cars. If this were the case nobody would be in business. For a dealer to make 4K/mo, they can't afford salaries.
Dealer said they couldn't sell Caymans and they had '08s left they were willing to deal on.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^^I bought my '08 in May of '08...got it for MSRP. That being said, yeah sure, if I bought now, I'd get a deep discount. But the car I bought wouldn't be around, and in this economy I don't know if my comfort level is there for such a purchase. If it were today, I don't know if I'd be looking...and I certainly haven't seen any cars at the dealer lately that spark the same interest as mine did on that day. So, I'm still glad that I bought when I bought. The plantets were in alignment.

^Did you get ruby red? That's probably my second favorite color for a Porsche...let's see some pics .

J

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
You should also be know that Porsche Financial Services has been offering some incredible financing rates since April, as low as 1.9% for Turbos and 2.9% for other models. That'll beat hands down any other lending institution's numbers. Run the amoritization schedules and see what a difference a lower rate makes on both lowering your payment but especially the amount of total interest paid over time.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
pvgolfer is infamous around these parts
If you're interested, I have an 07 C2S which I am looking to transfer the lease. There are 17 months left on the contract, payments are $1350/mo. Car currently has 11k miles, 25k miles left on the contract. The option to buy the car at the end of the lease (Oct 2010) is for $43,528 - a great bargain if you decide to keep the car! Alternatively, I can sell the car for $63k right now. PM me if interested.
I'm in SoCal (Palos Verdes) if you want to see the car.

Last edited by pvgolfer; 05-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
DPorcella@sbcgl is infamous around these parts
Z356: thanks for the lucid summary of research tools. I, too, have been using the same methods for about 9 months now! I'll hang fire until my "custom order" (November order) arrives, if it ever does.

It's pretty common knowledge that the mother company is giving dealers $5K cash to sell 09's, for what that info is worth to a shopper.

In the meantime, I recently heard someone on a forum talking somewhat sarcastically about a Summer Savings Spectacular, when MY 08, 09, and 10 will all be on the lots! I'll be interested to see what an 09 will go for when MY 10 arrives.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Buy a used turbo or an 06/07...for the cost of a lease you can almost own a 06 outright in 3 years and in the end have a car left and really drive it. As Larry says everyone wants to drive the car for free...not happening.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'll pile on just a bit here. Can't comment on the pros/cons of the financing techniques. I'm just too conservative and thus for discretionary items, I pay cash.
That aside, I've never much liked used cars. But the more I looked in to Porsche's, it seemed that they were so fundamentally solid and durable, with many owners so careful, and most Porsche service departments so attentive that I took a risk on a used one after all. I'll admit that I paid too much because it was pre-recession and I would not relent on the color/model that I wanted. But it's been 2+ years and I couldn't be happier. I will never ever buy a new one. There are too many excellent and well depreciated cars out there that just beg to be driven away for a more reasonable price.
So when others suggest that you consider a used tt, and you're hesitant on the 'used part, I'd suggest that it's likely something to consider quite carefully.
But GL. However you go about it, go get one. They are amazing cars.

Originally Posted by NYCPCAR
Buy a used turbo or an 06/07...for the cost of a lease you can almost own a 06 outright in 3 years and in the end have a car left and really drive it. As Larry says everyone wants to drive the car for free...not happening.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: newbie 09 997 advice